Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Dillenger
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central, Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Dillenger
Is This A Possibility - Time Capsule

I'm on staff at a large church as their Executive Minister that is pretty progressive and I've noticed more and more people following along on their iPhone and iPad's with our Lead Pastor as he preaches and reads scriptures. I had an idea of, "what if we had a Time Capsule or would it need to be a server, where as people could log on via WiFi and get .PDF's of the sermon outline and notes, that Sunday's bulletin, our current weekly newsletter, Podcasts, just about any publication we have made." Our church has a coffee and bagel cafe, so the unit could be set up for that area and also blanket our Worship Center. What would I need to do something like this? Also and just for the time being I really don't want to let this WiFi unit have internet access so I'm looking at more of an internal dedicated server/storage drive only.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas on this.
__________________
"Do you really believe, that what you believe in, is really real?" Dr. Del Tackett - The Truth Project
Dillenger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:57 PM   #2
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillenger View Post
I'm on staff at a large church as their Executive Minister that is pretty progressive and I've noticed more and more people following along on their iPhone and iPad's with our Lead Pastor as he preaches and reads scriptures. I had an idea of, "what if we had a Time Capsule or would it need to be a server, where as people could log on via WiFi and get .PDF's of the sermon outline and notes, that Sunday's bulletin, our current weekly newsletter, Podcasts, just about any publication we have made." Our church has a coffee and bagel cafe, so the unit could be set up for that area and also blanket our Worship Center. What would I need to do something like this? Also and just for the time being I really don't want to let this WiFi unit have internet access so I'm looking at more of an internal dedicated server/storage drive only.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas on this.
I have no answer to your question, but it sounds like Dropbox would be perfect for you. If you haven't already, maybe you'd want to check it out?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Get a Synology NAS, as an added bonus you can setup Wordpress on it.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Dillenger
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central, Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Dillenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
I have no answer to your question, but it sounds like Dropbox would be perfect for you. If you haven't already, maybe you'd want to check it out?
I have Drop Box on my MBP and also iPad/iPhone but I'm not sure if that would do what I'm thinking off. I'm looking at more of a dedicated internal wireless accessible hard drive that people could see a thumb nail of say the Sunday Bulletin, click on it and read it/down load it. Also do the same with any other publications we produce weekly.
__________________
"Do you really believe, that what you believe in, is really real?" Dr. Del Tackett - The Truth Project
Dillenger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
ftaok
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillenger View Post
I have Drop Box on my MBP and also iPad/iPhone but I'm not sure if that would do what I'm thinking off. I'm looking at more of a dedicated internal wireless accessible hard drive that people could see a thumb nail of say the Sunday Bulletin, click on it and read it/down load it. Also do the same with any other publications we produce weekly.
Wouldn't it be easier to have a website? The church could still offer a wifi network so that folks on limited data plans can partake without using up their data.
__________________
Flickr
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Dillenger
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central, Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Dillenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to have a website? The church could still offer a wifi network so that folks on limited data plans can partake without using up their data.
We have one but it is not very mobile friendly and I guess I was looking at more of an "in house, on campus only" approach to accessibility of just certain .PDF's and Podcasts.
__________________
"Do you really believe, that what you believe in, is really real?" Dr. Del Tackett - The Truth Project
Dillenger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:15 PM   #7
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
The best-looking way to do this would be via a local web server. You can set up a web server on any "Web Sharing" enabled Mac.

Easiest would be to install Wordpress or something similar. Make it mobile friendly via a plugin.
__________________
Brian Baughn
Baughn Consulting
Baltimore, MD
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:24 AM   #8
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillenger View Post
We have one but it is not very mobile friendly and I guess I was looking at more of an "in house, on campus only" approach to accessibility of just certain .PDF's and Podcasts.
Ah, now I understand why Dropbox isn't a good solution for you In that case, I'd say BrianBaughn's idea sounds like it's what you're looking for
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Dillenger
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central, Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Dillenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBaughn View Post
The best-looking way to do this would be via a local web server. You can set up a web server on any "Web Sharing" enabled Mac.

Easiest would be to install Wordpress or something similar. Make it mobile friendly via a plugin.
Since the Time Capsule I have has a 1TB drive in it, could it also be set up that way? Or would I need, say a Mac Mini hooked to it?
__________________
"Do you really believe, that what you believe in, is really real?" Dr. Del Tackett - The Truth Project
Dillenger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:37 PM   #10
JayInNJ
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillenger View Post
Since the Time Capsule I have has a 1TB drive in it, could it also be set up that way? Or would I need, say a Mac Mini hooked to it?
You need something to be the server like a laptop or desktop, Mac mini would work. The time capsule could store the files, but really no reason that the server couldn't do that. I really think a basic web site, either local or otherwise would work best. I think making it public would be great so people could get the sermons afterwards if they wanted to share with friends.
JayInNJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Dillenger
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central, Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Dillenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInNJ View Post
You need something to be the server like a laptop or desktop, Mac mini would work. The time capsule could store the files, but really no reason that the server couldn't do that. I really think a basic web site, either local or otherwise would work best. I think making it public would be great so people could get the sermons afterwards if they wanted to share with friends.
Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking at a few options and the one that I think I'm going to run with is an older Mac Mini (that has Snow Leopard installed) that I have and use it as the server, then use the Time Capsule for storage and the built in WiFi. I've talked to a few of the guys on our Leadership Team and a few church members and they are sort of so-so on the idea, but I was encourage that they too have noticed many more folks using their iPhones and iPads to look up scriptures and such, so I'm going to proceed.
__________________
"Do you really believe, that what you believe in, is really real?" Dr. Del Tackett - The Truth Project
Dillenger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 04:47 PM   #12
marzer
macrumors 65816
 
marzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
I have no answer to your question, but it sounds like Dropbox would be perfect for you. If you haven't already, maybe you'd want to check it out?
For an entire congregation? That'd be quite a headache to get users on board and coordinated. Unfortunately, Time Capsule is limited to about 50 users, probably wouldn't be efficient depending on the size of your congregation.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:07 PM   #13
nutmac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Trying to restrict contents to "in house, on campus only" would introduce more headaches than benefits. And requiring members to connect to local WiFi could introduce more headaches (e.g., making sure it has enough Internet bandwidth for everyone)

I would just setup WordPress, Tumblr, or similar and publish contents using the tool.
nutmac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:57 AM   #14
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
For an entire congregation? That'd be quite a headache to get users on board and coordinated. Unfortunately, Time Capsule is limited to about 50 users, probably wouldn't be efficient depending on the size of your congregation.
"An entire congregation" isn't a fixed number, but of course it could be a very large one where he works. Then again, you have to consider not all of them have a smartphone, and amongst those who do, there will already be a lot of people that know how DropBox works.

Well, it wasn't for him so the discussion is pretty useless either way
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Apple Time Capsule rather than External Drive for Time Machine Backup? jaybar Mac Peripherals 10 Aug 26, 2013 01:50 PM
Airport Time Capsule (2013) as Time Machine and external drive? Klatti Mac Peripherals 0 Aug 3, 2013 08:58 AM
Trouble adding new MacBook to existing Time Machine (Time Capsule) Cowboy59 Mac Peripherals 1 Oct 14, 2012 06:20 AM
Filevault 2, MBP Lion, Time Machine to Time Capsule: Encrypted already? dandanapple Mac Basics and Help 6 Aug 6, 2012 07:10 AM
What is faster for Time Machine: USB2or3 External HD OR Time Capsule(Wifi)? imacericg Mac Peripherals 4 Jun 27, 2012 08:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC