Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Neverwinter Nights 2 for $0,79 on the app store ! Get it now !

Or better, don't bother. Apparently, the game is so buggy and has such high sys reqs that even 79 cents is too much...

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
For $0.99 (on the US Store) even if I can't play it now, I'll keep it around for when I can. These types of deals are like the Steam holiday deals, I often buy many more things then I will play but they are good to own for when you do want them.

Thanks for the heads up, I did purchase it.

fleabite

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Arrrgh!

I just paid $19 for this two weeks ago. Never expected a Steam-quality sale to appear for this in the App Store.:(

Oh, well. Regarding it's quality, it crashed on my 2010 iMac a few times in multiplayer due to server connection issues, but has behaved better my last few sessions and I have had no issues whatsoever in single player. Contrary to early reports, it runs smoothly for me. Unfortunately, it is only the original campaign and there seems little hope of the expansions coming to OSX.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
I expected it to run smooth on my MBA.
Even with low settings its pretty choppy, funny considering I can play much better/newer games at almost full settings and no lag.
Oh well, at least it was only 0.99$!

Yoda3984

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
I just picked this up the other day when Amazon had it for $0.99 as a digital download. Too bad, I'd rather have picked it up on the Mac App Store...

I've played a few hours on my MacBook Air, and it runs just fine. Only crashed once (so far).

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Bought it. The truth ? A right POS...

Shame. I just wasted 79 eurocents.
I remember playing the demo from the first NWN. Loved it. Never bought the game, though. But this... I understand why they're offering it at this price...

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
There is another thing to remember, if you buy it from the App Store, if they update it in the future to fix these bugs, you'll get the upgrade free. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say... maybe this weekend.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
it is buggy yes, but if you can live with the bugs, the actual game/story is very good.

it was buggy as hell on release for the PC also, but that didn't stop me playing it a heap back then :D

bought it for the mac a couple of months ago, haven't had time to get back into it. but it is worth it...

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I play the full Windows version from time to time with all expansions and some mods using Wineskin... besides some random crash bugs when loading zones, it runs pretty good overall... but can get those same crash bugs even if running on Windows... so it is just a buggy game, but its still very good overall.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks to this thread I got it last day with the 0.79 euro. I see now it's back to the old price.

@OP: Thank you.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I must be the lucky one. I've encountered one bug and it happened once; the bug where the AI loses the ability to follow your characters. 2 minutes on google solved that problem and I was back on it again adventuring.

I'm running the game on an 2.3Ghz i5 13" With the Intel HD Graphics 3000 card. Performance is great, in fact I can't ever read all the interesting text on the loading screen quick enough. Might have something to do with having 8GB of RAM though. :p

I like hope the expansions are coming out though, that's my only concern.

UPDATE: I just found this script for adding the expansions to the Mac App Store version. http://portingteam.com/index.php/to...nter-nights-2-expansions-installation-script/

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I don't have many issues either with this game. One crash only so far and I'm well far into the game already. Performance is absolutely great and it looks really nice on iMac's 27" screen. It's great to play this epic RPG with only 0.79, especially if you haven't played it before. D&D RPGs are so few, and this is a real gem.

Doomdab

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
I downloaded Neverwinter Nights 2 while it was on sale. Great price. It doesn't play very well on my macbook but I figured when I get a better machine at a later date, it'll probably run more smoothly.

However,

I've noticed that the game is no longer in my app store purchases (nor in the hidden purchases section), and the game itself, as of 5th April 2012, is no longer for sale on the app store - it's as though it's disappeared, taken down, vanished, etc... I still have the game in my applications folder, however. But this obviously effects me if I want to download it onto a new machine in the future.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Have Aspyr taken it down from sale, and can this effect my purchased list?

From a rookie,

Doomdab.. :)

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I've noticed that the game is no longer in my app store purchases (nor in the hidden purchases section), and the game itself, as of 5th April 2012, is no longer for sale on the app store - it's as though it's disappeared, taken down, vanished, etc... I still have the game in my applications folder, however. But this obviously effects me if I want to download it onto a new machine in the future.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Have Aspyr taken it down from sale, and can this effect my purchased list?

I am seeing the same thing and am not happy. I did pay for this, and now they pulled it less than two weeks later? I haven't even downloaded it yet! I purchased it due to the sale, so that I could play it when I got my new machine (as soon as Apple releases the next gen laptops). :( I'm going to call them and find out what's going on.

Trinite

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
I am seeing the same thing and am not happy. I did pay for this, and now they pulled it less than two weeks later? I haven't even downloaded it yet! I purchased it due to the sale, so that I could play it when I got my new machine (as soon as Apple releases the next gen laptops). :( I'm going to call them and find out what's going on.

Hm. Likewise. That's annoying. Would you please let us know what they tell you? Thanks!

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
I downloaded Neverwinter Nights 2 while it was on sale. Great price. It doesn't play very well on my macbook but I figured when I get a better machine at a later date, it'll probably run more smoothly.

However,

From a rookie,

Doomdab.. :)

Aspyr took the game down because apparently their license to distribute the game expired, so they canned it from the AppStore.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Aspyr took the game down because apparently their license to distribute the game expired, so they canned it from the AppStore.

Wow, so they tried to screw people during the last two weeks by offering it to them at such a discount and then pulling it. Talk about scummy. :(

I'll have to avoid them in the future. BTW, Apple already refunded my money.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
No need to stress out about the 3 quarters...

The AppStore has a pain-free money back guarntee. I once used by buying s $10 app without properly reading the description thnking it was soething compeltely different. No problems getting my funds back.

Just email them and they will refund your pennies within a couple of days. Apple is too nig to even care as it would almost always cost them more in support costs than most apps sell for.

Just please don't flame Apple about it, they are just offering the platform. Just request your pennies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.