Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wahoo10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Tried to use a third party connector cable to charge my iPad while at work yesterday, but the iPad just said "not charging". Does the standard USB port not charge the iPad?

Magnetitenostri

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Only the iPad charger will work. The USB on a computer will allow for syncing but will not provide a charge.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
Tried to use a third party connector cable to charge my iPad while at work yesterday, but the iPad just said "not charging". Does the standard USB port not charge the iPad?

this is normal, most usb ports you plug into will show this even with the charger it came with

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Not true, sorry!
My Mac Pro will charge my iPad although very slow.
The key is that it has to be USB 2.0 or above to make it work.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ True. My MP will also charge my iPad. It is too slow to really do much but it does.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
mine shows not charging (ipad) with my MBA but it does trickle charge...should have been clearer on that...sorry

Strange Taipan61.
Just for the sake of knowledge I just plugged it in to see again as I usually use the wall charger and it shows that it was charging.
I wonder if it could be because of yours being a MBA and not a desktop.
Anyway just thought I put this out.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Try a program from Asus, AI Charger http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/ .

I installed it on my Dell precision 4600 laptop (AFAIK not an Asus motherboard) which would not charge the iPad 2 previosly and it works great now. Even charges my new 3rd generation iPad. It seems to say it is changing the registry (Windows 7) but I did not realize that ahead of time so I don't know what key it changes.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Only the iPad charger will work. The USB on a computer will allow for syncing but will not provide a charge.

not true.

and it's also not whether the port is USB2.0 or not. the key point is not all USB ports have a high enough current output. most only supply 500mA current, which is not enough for the iPad (may still trickle charge, however)

some Apple computers, particularly newer models, have higher power output USB ports supplying 1100mA which can be used to charge the iPad (although it will charge more slowly than the standard external 10W charger = 2A @ 5V)

you can check the max current output of your Mac's USB ports in System profiler, see this document for more info. There's also this Macworld article you may find useful

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
Strange Taipan61.
Just for the sake of knowledge I just plugged it in to see again as I usually use the wall charger and it shows that it was charging.
I wonder if it could be because of yours being a MBA and not a desktop.
Anyway just thought I put this out.

i think your right, it's a couple of years old and when i just tried it on my work desktop it shows charging...it's usb 3

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Does the standard USB port not charge the iPad?

Useful article here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049

TLDNR: Max. current for standard USB port is 500mA which isn't going to go far with an iPad3. Certain Apple devices (e.g. iPad), when connected directly to certain Apple computers, can request up to 1100 mA.

In my case, charging fine (at reasonable speed) directly connected to my 2011 MacBook Pro, but "Not charging" via an (unpowered) USB hub.

Unless you use a new-ish Mac, best bet is to carry the 10W iPad adapter, if you want to charge at reasonable speed.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Also, keep in mind the "Not Charging" indicator on the iPad is like the light inside your refrigerator. It only shows up when the screen is on. When the screen is off, the iPad is probably still charging, just very very slowly. I bet if you left it plugged in for many hours, you would see the battery percentage slowly creeping upwards.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
My experience is that the iPad 2 will say not charging but will in fact charge slowly - or decently fast if turned off.

My iPad 3 will actually lose power when plugged into the USB port of my Mac Mini or MacBook Air and charges quite slowly even plugged into the wall.

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Front USB or keyboard/monitor/USB hub USB ports usually won't charge them but the back ports of a computer should.

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
TLDNR: Max. current for standard USB port is 500mA which isn't going to go far with an iPad3.
^

Most motherboard only offers up to 500mA through USB port.
But a decent motherboard(LGA1155/LGA2011 sockets) offers extra charging power through USBs. My desktop charges iPad the same way they charge through wall outlet.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Does this really work? Looks kinda "snake oily".

Yea it does. I have a gigabyte motherboard and this worked fine with no ill effect. I learned that gigabyte also has a utility of this same nature that would work also

But yes, I have been using this extensively and haven't had any issues with it. I think all it does is just change the motherboard to allow a higher amperage to the usb ports

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.