Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 5, 2012, 05:57 PM   #1
GG2213
macrumors newbie

Need Help. Upgraded RAM and Having Problems.

Hey I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo that I upgraded to Lion 10.7.3 and a couple years ago I also upgraded the RAM from 2gb to 4gb, which is supposed to be the max. However, I was informed that it can actually hold up to 8gb. So, about a week ago I installed 2 Crucial 4gb sticks of RAM and the computer works fine. It recognizes the 8gb of RAM, it seems to be faster, but...after a couple days, a ding noise comes out of the speakers every 10 minutes exactly. So, I took the casing off, took out and put back in the RAM making sure it was in there properly, and now does it not only continue to beep but I also can't get the battery to fit in all the way making it impossible to put the bottom casing back on. I am going to put the 4gb back in for now but in the meantime, I would like for someone to help me out. Or at least someone to tell me I'm an idiot for putting 8gb of RAM into a computer that can "technically" only hold 4gb...

Thanks everyone,
-GG
GG2213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:04 PM   #2
greenchiliman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG2213 View Post
and now does it not only continue to beep but I also can't get the battery to fit in all the way making it impossible to put the bottom casing back on.
-GG
You need to really double check that the ram is seated correctly. If it is installed properly, you would be able to get the battery back in.
greenchiliman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:38 PM   #3
GG2213
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchiliman View Post
You need to really double check that the ram is seated correctly. If it is installed properly, you would be able to get the battery back in.
I am almost positive it is installed properly. I just put the 4gb back in and the battery still won't fit. I know Apple has had some issues with battery swelling so I am starting to wonder if that is the problem. It doesn't really looked swelled but its also not fitting so is there any other way to tell?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
iLukeJoseph
macrumors regular

Easy way to find out... Take the memory out and put the battery back in without the memory installed.
iLukeJoseph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLukeJoseph View Post
Easy way to find out... Take the memory out and put the battery back in without the memory installed.
Bingo. If this is still the case then either it has swelled, or you're simply not doing it right ;P

Besides, surely you can visibly tell if the RAM is obstructing the battery?

Also, to make sure you are doing it right, follow the procedure here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270#link5
Dangerous Theory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
GG2213
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Theory View Post
Bingo. If this is still the case then either it has swelled, or you're simply not doing it right ;P

Besides, surely you can visibly tell if the RAM is obstructing the battery?

Also, to make sure you are doing it right, follow the procedure here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270#link5
I am almost positive I am doing everything correctly. I have upgraded the RAM before and was able to put everything back together just fine. I just took out all the RAM and the battery still isn't fitting back in properly. It must be swollen but I am just finding it hard to believe that it swelled at the exact same time I decided to upgrade my RAM again...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG2213 View Post
I am almost positive I am doing everything correctly. I have upgraded the RAM before and was able to put everything back together just fine. I just took out all the RAM and the battery still isn't fitting back in properly. It must be swollen but I am just finding it hard to believe that it swelled at the exact same time I decided to upgrade my RAM again...
Well taking it out would have give it the chance to expand. I doubt it was just a spontaneous occurrence that coincided with you removing it.
Dangerous Theory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:29 PM   #8
rajiv.n
macrumors newbie

Current RAM is 1067MHz, can i get use a 1333MHz ram?

hi i have a Macbook 2008 aluminium. 2.4 GHz.

Wanted to upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 4GB.

My current 2GB (2 cards of 1GB each) runs at 1067GHz, will a 4 GB ram (2 cards of 2GB each) running at 1333GHz work???

Also, I read in one of the blogs that this macbook can support up to 8GB even though Apple Support says a Max of 4GB

Please help!
Thanks
rajiv.n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:37 PM   #9
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv.n View Post
hi i have a Macbook 2008 aluminium. 2.4 GHz.

Wanted to upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 4GB.

My current 2GB (2 cards of 1GB each) runs at 1067GHz, will a 4 GB ram (2 cards of 2GB each) running at 1333GHz work???

Also, I read in one of the blogs that this macbook can support up to 8GB even though Apple Support says a Max of 4GB
You can use 1333MHz RAM. And as long as you have the latest firmware update, you can install 8GB
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro