Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. The MacBook Pro 17" (2010 model) by itself is not that heavy. However, if you carry it for many hours daily and you have other stuff in the bag (the bag alone is another 1.1kg), you may want to keep it light. My questions are:

1. Anybody knows the correct weight, in kg, of the superdrive?
2. If I want it to be removed, is it recommended to ask the Genius to do it? Will they do it? Will that void Apple Care?
3. To people who have this done. Do you feel noticeable difference in weight after the drive has been removed?
4. If I have the drive removed, will dust enter the computer more easily?
5. Can I turn the superdrive into an external drive by buying an external case for it? Any recommendation on light, portable drive?

I seldom use the drive except for installing software. Thanks.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Hello. The MacBook Pro 17" (2010 model) by itself is not that heavy. However, if you carry it for many hours daily and you have other stuff in the bag (the bag alone is another 1.1kg), you may want to keep it light. My questions are:

2. If I want it to be removed, is it recommended to ask the Genius to do it? Will they do it? Will that void Apple Care?
3. To people who have this done. Do you feel noticeable difference in weight after the drive has been removed?
5. Can I turn the superdrive into an external drive by buying an external case for it? Any recommendation on light, portable drive?

I seldom use the drive except for installing software. Thanks.
1. About 6 oz (170 g) if you remove the SuperDrive only.
2. You can do it yourself, checkout iFixIt, they should have a guide. And if you take it into Apple after removing it without replacing it in there, AppleCare is technically voided.
3. I haven't done this.
4. No. That wouldn't really make sense.
5. Yes you can, no suggestion.

Bawsh

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
When I removed the SuperDrive to install my OptiBay, I felt like it weighed next to nothing so I'd keep it.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Apparently the drive weights around 225g (that is 0.225 kg). For comparison sake, the iPhone 4S weighs 140g.

No. I can guarantee you that Apple will not do that.

It's 0.2 of a kg. Removing the SuperDrive will not save weight, but rather save space. I have removed mine on my MacBook because there was a disc stuck in it, but I can assure you it's not heavy at all.

4. If I have the drive removed, will dust enter the computer more easily

No. There are no more and no less openings after you remove the drive. Still has the slit on the right side though. I guess you can cover that side with tape if you are going to remove it.

I don't think you can. If you want an external optical drive, you can purchase the MacBook Air external SuperDrive.

shanimal

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
I dont know the exact weight (people have told you though), but it doesnt weigh much at all
It will void your warranty if you take out the superdrive, so dont ask
I have dont it and noticed a difference, but it was negligible. I could notice it if i held it up to "weigh" it, but you wont notice it when youre just picking it up.
No.
Yes, pretty cool too.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other+World+Computing/VLSS9TOPTU2/
You can get cheaper ones from Amazon, but OWC is a trusted name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.