Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Apr 2, 2012, 02:45 PM   #1
braddick
macrumors 68030

Couple of Questions regarding iPhone eBay Auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260995015238...#ht_500wt_1413

I was the winner of the above auction. I've always wanted an original iPhone in MINT condition and finding one that had never been activated was a pleasant bonus.
My question is, would such an iPhone, running on the original firmware even be something AT&T would activate with new service?
Also, I'd assume, unless the firmware was updated to 3.1.3 iTunes applications would not load- only music and possibly podcasts.
I'd never update the firmware as I'd think it would be cool to simply run it as original... leading to my last question.
Would activating it take away from the value- down the road, assuming there is even a collector base for these things?
I'd imagine I should simply leave it alone but wanted your opinions.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:59 AM   #2
zmbchclt
macrumors newbie

Personally, I would leave it untouched if you're gonna leave it for some point down the line.

It would be massively more appealing to collectors that it hasn't been used, and it not being activated would show that it hasn't actually being used. Make them more confident so to speak.
zmbchclt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

There's always a collector base for Apple products.

If it happens to still have iPhone OS 1.0, that would be prime. Obviously, with that OS, there *ARE NO* apps, nor even an on-device Music Store, so those bits are irrelevant.

Even at 3.1.3, some apps won't install. It annoys me, my daughter uses my original iPhone as a glorified iPod touch, and I have accidentally updated apps on my computer's iTunes such that they will no longer run on iOS 3 - which means if anything happens to that iPhone, I won't be able to reload those apps ever again. I wish Apple would allow versioning for apps the way they allow SD and HD videos to coexist. Make it so that you can keep the newest version of the app for each maximum iOS per model, plus the very latest. So now, that would be 3.1.3 and 4.2.1, as various iDevices have those two as maximum OS versions.

(The app in question is AIM. I updated it not thinking that the newer version wouldn't run on iOS 3 any more.)

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4
braddick
macrumors 68030

Thanks guys.
It arrived and is unbelievably pristine. The box is flawless and the iPhone itself has all the protective stickers and whatnot applied.

The attachments all have their original wrappings.
It has never been activated nor used, of course, in any way.

Quick question: not that I would, but if I did want to activate a friend told me I'd need an older version of iTunes to do so as 10.6 won't recognize this device now.

I'm thinking one day it'll be a collectors item, in the meantime it is fun to hold and remember launch day when I picked up one almost exactly like this one and enjoyed using it for quite awhile.
(In fact, although I primarily use my 4S I do have the original still activated as a back up using AT&T's GoPhone SIM.)
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to mgartner0622
iTunes will still activate it even if it's the newest version. I got my iPhone 2G unlocked by AT&T today, so I restored it from an ISPW as it's still running iOS 2.1 firmware, and it activated just fine.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors