Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wahoo10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
The subject somewhat says it all. I know the iPhone charger would probably charge the iPad slower, but I don't know if the iPad charger would fry the iPhone.

I plugged a third-party USB cord into my work computer yesterday and my iPad refused to charge off of it, so that's why I'm wondering...

AceCoolie

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I've used a 10 watt iPad charger on both my iPhone 4 and iPod touch without any problems. It just charges faster :).

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
BUT, your iPhone charger will not charge your iPad 3. If it did it would be so slow it would not be worth it.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
That USB on your friend's computer should charge unless it wasn't plugged into a powered USB port like an unpowered hub.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
That USB on your friend's computer should charge unless it wasn't plugged into a powered USB port like an unpowered hub.

Even some powered USB ports simply don't supply enough current for the iPad.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
The subject somewhat says it all. I know the iPhone charger would probably charge the iPad slower, but I don't know if the iPad charger would fry the iPhone.

I plugged a third-party USB cord into my work computer yesterday and my iPad refused to charge off of it, so that's why I'm wondering...
The iPhone charger will take 2X as long to charge the iPad as it is one-half the power. It will work, but slowly.

A USB port will also charge the iPad despite the fact it says on top "not charging." I do it all the time, it is just VERY slow. At least as slow as using an iPHONE charger and possibly even slower depending on the power of the USB port.

The iPAD charger will charge the iPHONE in the same time the iPHONE charger will, not faster, because each device is set for it's own charge RATE in the hardware. You could put a 1,000,000 watt charger on an iPhone or an iPad and both devices will only charge at the set rate in it's firmware.

Some DEVS have modified the charging rate on some Android devices through the devices firmware but it is dangerous unfortunately Apple doesn't provide that access even on a jailbroken device.

As for cords, I have a couple 3rd party cables that charged the iPad 2 fine but don't work on the iPad 3. Well, the do sorta work, it took like 17 hours to charge it.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
If the iPad charger is 10w, what is a standard USB plug on a computer and what is the iPhone's charger?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
If the iPad charger is 10w, what is a standard USB plug on a computer and what is the iPhone's charger?
5 watts, approx 1000mah for iPhone, 10 watts, approx 2000mah for iPad and most motherboard powered USB ports are around 500mah, 2.5 watts (not 100% on that one but I believe the "spec" is that).

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
5 watts, approx 1000mah for iPhone, 10 watts, approx 2000mah for iPad and most motherboard powered USB ports are around 500mah, 2.5 watts (not 100% on that one but I believe the "spec" is that).

So the iPhone will charge slower plugged into a computer than its power adapter? What are the USB plugs for cigarette lighters in cars?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
So the iPhone will charge slower plugged into a computer than its power adapter? What are the USB plugs for cigarette lighters in cars?
Yes.

USB cigarette lighter plugs vary (if you believe the manufacturers or websites or eBay descriptions - you usually get what you pay for). I use a single outlet Scosche (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOSCHE-USB...661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6bf7ef5d) which is rated at 2.1 amps (same as the iPad wall charger). There are dual outlet models as well but each outlet uses 1/2 the rated power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.