Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000

Removing the superdrive to reduce the MBP's weight?

Hello. The MacBook Pro 17" (2010 model) by itself is not that heavy. However, if you carry it for many hours daily and you have other stuff in the bag (the bag alone is another 1.1kg), you may want to keep it light. My questions are:

1. Anybody knows the correct weight, in kg, of the superdrive?
2. If I want it to be removed, is it recommended to ask the Genius to do it? Will they do it? Will that void Apple Care?
3. To people who have this done. Do you feel noticeable difference in weight after the drive has been removed?
4. If I have the drive removed, will dust enter the computer more easily?
5. Can I turn the superdrive into an external drive by buying an external case for it? Any recommendation on light, portable drive?

I seldom use the drive except for installing software. Thanks.
hajime is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Epic Xbox Revie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Hello. The MacBook Pro 17" (2010 model) by itself is not that heavy. However, if you carry it for many hours daily and you have other stuff in the bag (the bag alone is another 1.1kg), you may want to keep it light. My questions are:

2. If I want it to be removed, is it recommended to ask the Genius to do it? Will they do it? Will that void Apple Care?
3. To people who have this done. Do you feel noticeable difference in weight after the drive has been removed?
5. Can I turn the superdrive into an external drive by buying an external case for it? Any recommendation on light, portable drive?

I seldom use the drive except for installing software. Thanks.
1. About 6 oz (170 g) if you remove the SuperDrive only.
2. You can do it yourself, checkout iFixIt, they should have a guide. And if you take it into Apple after removing it without replacing it in there, AppleCare is technically voided.
3. I haven't done this.
4. No. That wouldn't really make sense.
5. Yes you can, no suggestion.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Bawsh
macrumors newbie

When I removed the SuperDrive to install my OptiBay, I felt like it weighed next to nothing so I'd keep it.
Bawsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Tea-Aholic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apparently the drive weights around 225g (that is 0.225 kg). For comparison sake, the iPhone 4S weighs 140g.

Quote:
No. I can guarantee you that Apple will not do that.

Quote:
It's 0.2 of a kg. Removing the SuperDrive will not save weight, but rather save space. I have removed mine on my MacBook because there was a disc stuck in it, but I can assure you it's not heavy at all.

Quote:
4. If I have the drive removed, will dust enter the computer more easily
No. There are no more and no less openings after you remove the drive. Still has the slit on the right side though. I guess you can cover that side with tape if you are going to remove it.

Quote:
I don't think you can. If you want an external optical drive, you can purchase the MacBook Air external SuperDrive.
Tea-Aholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5
shanimal
macrumors member

I dont know the exact weight (people have told you though), but it doesnt weigh much at all
It will void your warranty if you take out the superdrive, so dont ask
I have dont it and noticed a difference, but it was negligible. I could notice it if i held it up to "weigh" it, but you wont notice it when youre just picking it up.
No.
Yes, pretty cool too.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/VLSS9TOPTU2/
You can get cheaper ones from Amazon, but OWC is a trusted name.
shanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
hajime
macrumors 68000

Thanks all of you for the info.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro