Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Ughhhhhhhhh I want a new MacBook Pro NOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

I just got into USC for grad school and I need a new computer NOWWWWWWWWW.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
<sarcasm>

June.

Wow.

That soon.

</sarcasm>

Only company in the world that believes in releasing a "new" computer/model every 16+ months.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I totally agree and only have Macs without CD drives. However I was at a concert a few days ago and loved the opening band and bought their CD. Only after I purchased it did I realize what I was doing when the clerk told me that all their music was available for download on iTunes and Amazon. Oh well...at least I keep an old PC around for ripping CDs.

Also, I'd buy a new 27" iMac ASAP if they came out with anti-reflective / anti-glare screens. I know a lot of other people would too.

Just get the Apple external superdrive and you'll be good to go.

Problem. Solved. :)

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I like my Macbook Pro. But I sold my 2011 iMac and built my own PC with the money I got from it. It is a lot more powerful, and upgradeable, as desktop computers should be. I feel like the iMac is a large notebook, and will continue that way. Before all the haters vote this down, think about this in regards to the iMac: The hard drive is not user replaceable, and besides the RAM, nothing is replaceable or upgradeable. So, here is my huge "no thanks" to Apple and the iMac.

I have only one world for you:

"WINDOWS" that says it all.

----------

That is the limitation of the all-in-one design, not just the iMac. Apple is not the only one who makes all-in-one desktops. So that argument could really be applied to an HP or Dell all-in-one. All-in-one's are not supposed to be easily upgradable, towers are. So you are comparing two very unlike terms. Considering multiple companies make all-in-one desktops, I do not know why you felt like singling out Apple.

Because he does not really use Apple products or he would have know what and for whom iMacs are for. :apple:rules

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Maybe because Apple has neglected their tower Mac Pro, focusing on iMac's, MacBook Pro's and iDevices while the other companies you have mentioned have not? Not meant to be sarcastic.

Everybody is neglecting the workstation market. Go over to Dell.com or HP.com and you will see what I mean. But you should remember that there is nothing to update right now. Apple is not going to update the Mac Pro without new CPUs, which have not yet become available. Again, same thing with HP and Dell workstations.

Not true! Take a look at the HP Z1...

It is still very much limited. You are stuck with that monitor, stuck with whatever GPU you get (since they are mobility versions), and expansion slots are extremely limiting. All you really need to consider is size. Mid towers and full towers just offer more flexibility than trying to cram everyone into a smaller space. And I am confident that I could show you multiple examples of what I am talking about instead of just 1.

Canaan

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
Not true! Take a look at the HP Z1...

That thing looks really well designed! The insides are exceptionally clean from the look of the pictures. I'm honestly really impressed. (especially considering it's HP) I'll bet Apple could do something similar as far as easy snap off design goes. Perhaps an iMac Pro or something alongside the consumer iMacs. Still, those who are yearning for a pro probably don't want an integrated screen.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Give me my Mac Pro update. I made my career working on Macintosh workstations. These little i devices are fun and very useful, but we won't be able to buy them without the job the Mac workstations we use to make a paychecks!

And exactly what is wrong with the ones out now?

I just put together a Pro at Apple.com that is making my mouth drool with 12 core and 64 gig and its only 12 grand, sorry but your not much of a pro anything if you can't afford a computer system that you can fully tax deduct over a 5 year. Yes fully tax deduct.

I don't hear any real professionals wining about 12 grand. Its nothing considering what you get including the best OS I have had the pleasure of working and playing on. And I have used Windows 3.11 Network and up. Linux which is fine for those that just have to geek around. Unix/Solaris because I just had to for work some years back. Those where also such nice boxes so cool looking for their time.

I don't care about Pro because that is not how I make my money, but on the other hand I have iMac, Macbook Air, iPad 2, iPhone and 15 grand of certification, because that is how I make money. Working right now and will be putting money behind a new certification and training because its going to make me more money.

If your a Pro designer then 12 grand is nothing. If your at McD and just want a cheap Pro go and find out how to do a Mackintosh, I did one and it worked just fine but was not worth it because I hate big boxes sitting on the floor. I like the sleek looking space age Apple products. Smooth metal and glass is my addictions.

Not bragging about my self just stating your logic is faulty. Who here things 12 2.93 GHz cores is not enough?

Last edited:

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Got say the post about a Smaller Tower Mac would tick a lot if not all of my boxes for my next mac. The reason I even picked up a 2010 mini was to have a optical drive and immediately throw 8gb of ram inside, because when my 2007 MBP died again (video card blew damn invidia crap) But my only options for an iMac is paying apple an absurd amount for a proper amount of ram, you all im sure would agree 4gb is scraps now, and having to fork over much more for a SSD+2tbHD. I would probably by a refurbished Thunderbolt Display too if Apple went mini tower. But dang do I just love the iMac.

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
And exactly what is wrong with the ones out now?

Well, I don't want to re-hash the whole argument that has raged on in previous threads, but I guess you've never tried to export a 3D layer-heavy comp out of After Effects while also working in Final Cut on a MacBook Pro. Processor power can't handle it as well as a tower.

<soapbox>I'm tired of iPeople thinking we don't need towers and other computers with fast processors just because THEY don't need them. I can give a rat's a$$ for the population that doesn't include me "and a few 100 other people" (kiljoy616) who think they're elitist and Apple should only serve THEM. Until our industry (video production) comes up with a standard for delivery AS A WHOLE we need everything a tower can give. That includes an ODD. I know I can get an external if the MBP redesign happens like everyone says it might, but that's just one more piece of equipment I gotta lug around to do my work.

Wait, OK, so maybe the ODD is on the bottom of my list, but please keep the Ethernet connection!</soapbox>

Cheers! :p

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Huge +1 to the anti-reflective glass proposition. I've got an old 2007 24" iMac (first model to go aluminium) and my dad's got the current 27", and both suffer from awful reflection and glare in brightly lit environments; to use my dad's one properly (e.g. watching an HD film or looking at photos), the blinds have to be drawn.

I hope decent AR glass reaches the entire Mac line-up before long. Something around the quality of Sony's VAIO displays would be great, in my opinion.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I like my Macbook Pro. But I sold my 2011 iMac and built my own PC with the money I got from it. It is a lot more powerful, and upgradeable, as desktop computers should be. I feel like the iMac is a large notebook, and will continue that way. Before all the haters vote this down, think about this in regards to the iMac: The hard drive is not user replaceable, and besides the RAM, nothing is replaceable or upgradeable. So, here is my huge "no thanks" to Apple and the iMac.
As a former iMac user, I agree. I may have had a lemon but my iMac was a big time heat magnet. Over time, it gathered so much dust inside that the logic board began to fail, with symptoms like graphic glitches and random freeze or kernel panic.

I would much prefer Mac mini to take over the role of iMac (which may require mini to become larger again).

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003

Why in the world would you upgrade a computer? I have owned numerous PCs and Macs and never in my life have I upgraded a computer (other than adding RAM). People love to tout the "upgradability" of PCs, but in reality, by the time you want to upgrade the video card (or some other component other than RAM), you really need a new motherboard, but then you need new faster RAM to take advantage of it, oh and while you're at it, you may as well get the new processor, and, and...oh, you just bought a new computer.

It's always better to just buy the new model and get ALL the technology improvements at once. Considering the high resale value of Macs, its cost effective too.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
That thing looks really well designed! The insides are exceptionally clean from the look of the pictures. I'm honestly really impressed. (especially considering it's HP) I'll bet Apple could do something similar as far as easy snap off design goes. Perhaps an iMac Pro or something alongside the consumer iMacs. Still, those who are yearning for a pro probably don't want an integrated screen.

But is there a demand for something like this from buyers? Has anyone owned or bought on of these HP? How about at Work?

For HP it may work but I would never buy that and call it an iMac.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
We have a bunch of iMacs deployed at work. The AIO design makes them very easy to set up. I'm on my second at home and will probably upgrade this summer. Sure, I'd like to be able to change the drives and video card myself, but I don't expect Apple to allow that. I'd settle for an option to upgrade the internals at an Apple store or authorized dealer, though.

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I'd happily lose the internal optical drive in favor of standard SSD+HDD combo across the board for the iMacs. I'd be losing a feature I barely ever use in favor of a phenomenal speed boost.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Well, I don't want to re-hash the whole argument that has raged on in previous threads, but I guess you've never tried to export a 3D layer-heavy comp out of After Effects while also working in Final Cut on a MacBook Pro. Processor power can't handle it as well as a tower.

<soapbox>I'm tired of iPeople thinking we don't need towers and other computers with fast processors just because THEY don't need them. I can give a rat's a$$ for the population that doesn't include me "and a few 100 other people" (kiljoy616) who think they're elitist and Apple should only serve THEM. Until our industry (video production) comes up with a standard for delivery AS A WHOLE we need everything a tower can give. That includes an ODD. I know I can get an external if the MBP redesign happens like everyone says it might, but that's just one more piece of equipment I gotta lug around to do my work.

Wait, OK, so maybe the ODD is on the bottom of my list, but please keep the Ethernet connection!</soapbox>

First yes I am, second that is not what the post was about. Mac Pro are professional machines which right now run up to 12 cores with 64 gig for 12 grand, that is not a lot of money for a Professional, let me spell it again Professional not McD unless you own a McD which why you would want one is well up to you, but you will pay for bragging rights.

If your so fixated on a Tower for gaming get a PC, if your fixated on a tower then wait till the PERFECT MAC comes out. What I said still stands, 12 grand which is for a "everything goes Mac Pro" is not a lot of money when you can tax deduct it as a business expense and two your life and livelihood depends on it.

Stop crying that you can't own one because you think Apple is Dell or you wish it was. I don't own one, because to me it would be a waste of resources and the returns would not be there for what I do. Some people need a tower because they like boxes sitting on the floor, personally I could care less why you or anyone wants one.

Apple is not catering to your small club demands. They look at the Mac Pro as a limited sales group consisting of Professionals who not only will pay the price but really need it.

Upgradability even on the Mac Pro is limited and you will not be upgrading every year even if it was a much more open system. Apple is not looking for that type of clientele.

Your right about the Rat part Apple does not care about you either, and I think they know what they are doing. They don't care about me and my fantasy of the perfect computer either. So what is your point than just spouting anger. 1. I want a tower 2. I can't afford it, 3. I should still be allowed to get one, really.

Dell has the computer you are looking for go buy it. Oh wait you don't like Dell ok HP how about them, no, oh you want your fantasy and Apple to grant it out of their Corporate kindness. :rolleyes:

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Come on. Really ? June? Who knows if that is even true with the track record of these sources. I should have just purchased my new system in February when I was first thinking about it. Your are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't I suppose. Honestly, there is a lesson here. Purchase when you need a new machine. Waiting for an update has proven to be frustrating. Never again.<sarcasm><strong>Way to be on it intel! You guys are awesome.</strong></sarcasm>

Last edited:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

tried to export a 3D layer-heavy comp out of After Effects while also working in Final Cut on a MacBook Pro.

No your right and I do understand the need. As for Macbook Pro its definitely not the machine for everything. I concur with you on that, but my question would be the same, why are you using that, and if your livelihood is doing those things why use a machine not designed for that? :D

The issue here was never Towers "suck", they don't. The issue here was someone said basically "I want this but I don't want to pay for it, and I still should get it because I am a princes. Apple is bad person because I can't get Mac Pro (not Macbook Pro) for the price that I feel is right for me."

Wait you could get a lower version of the Mac Pro, but he wants everything and cheap, really how is that possible in our real world.

Personally Apple should sell me my next iMac for a dollar. I be so happy, but I should take my "crazy person" medication if I think that is going to happen.;)

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Anti-reflective glass would be great... I was watching an iTunes rental on my iMac last night and my living room appeared in every other shot.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
dang. my wife finally needs to update her unresponsive 5 y/o macbook this year, and i told her macbook pros usually refresh in march -- you're making me look like an ass, apple!

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.