Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
It's time for Apple to push the envelope again

I'd like to see the iMac be a computer that makes the front pages of magazines again. I absolutely love my 27" i7 iMac, but it's going on 4 years now (I think). It's been so good to me that I probably won't need to replace it for another 2-3 years.. unless Apple does something drastic.

I mocked something up. It's an iMac with an easel screen. I'd like to see Apple explore more of touch on the desktop with OSXI (11) and I think this is along the right lines. It would be cool if the screen could go not just to easel position, but also level out horizontally to be like the MS Surface. I'd also like to see a touchscreen keyboard. Many of us have gotten used to typing on a touch screen and it would be great to have the keyboard change based on software... Imagine having the keyboard change themes based on games or applications... it would also be great to remove the dock and have the launcher on the keyboard. Maybe I got it wrong.. it might make more sense along the top of the keyboard, but the launcher makes more sense on the keyboard for me either way.

Please excuse the wonky top black bezel area (where the camera would be). I know it's not drawn straight... I'll fix it later.

DIjTO.jpg

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Why in the world would you upgrade a computer?

The biggest argument for "upgrading" a computer isn't what you might want to do a few years later - but what you want to have on day 1.

I'll agree with your premise that "2nd/3rd year" upgrades are fairly rare.

However, people who buy tower systems will often get options (AKA "upgrades") at the time of purchase. More memory, better graphics card (or even add a graphics card to a system with base integrated graphics), more/bigger disks, various PCIe cards (eSATA, GbE, RAID, ...), BD burner, ....

While some people do upgrade later, IMO the biggest argument for a mini/mid tower is the ability to configure the system you want from the start (and it's not relevant whether you get BTO options from the vendor or order what you want from Newegg and install it yourself).

I have owned numerous PCs and Macs and never in my life have I upgraded a computer (other than adding RAM). People love to tout the "upgradability" of PCs, but in reality, by the time you want to upgrade the video card (or some other component other than RAM), you really need a new motherboard, but then you need new faster RAM to take advantage of it, oh and while you're at it, you may as well get the new processor, and, and...oh, you just bought a new computer.

I'm of the opposite camp. I almost always build DIY systems - although I do price compare with Dell/HP/Asus/... to check. (My current main desktop is a Dell XPS Core i7-940 - Dell's price was much better than I could build on my own, and it came with a great warranty.)

Your point about the mobo is a bit of hyperbole (I can't think of any reasonable cases where a graphics card upgrade requires a mobo upgrade (unless you have an ancient AGP mobo and want to put a PCIe x16 card in it)), but it's true in that if you jump to a CPU that needs a different chipset, you'll need a new motherboard usually you can't transfer your memory. (I did, however, just replace a mobo with a Q6600 CPU with a Core i7 mobo, and the DDR3 memory worked in the new mobo. Pleasantly surprised.)

One other point to consider on the upgrade scale, and one that I always follow, is to game the Intel release schedule.

This means
  • Don't buy CPU X (and mobo X and memory X) right after announcement, three months later the prices will be much lower
  • When you do buy, don't buy the fastest CPU X. The model two or three steps slower is much, much cheaper and almost as fast.
  • Watch prices for CPUs, especially when Intel releases the new CPU X+1. Prices for even the fastest CPU X drop when X+1 shows up.
  • Buy the fastest CPU X before Intel stops producing them.

It's always better to just buy the new model and get ALL the technology improvements at once. Considering the high resale value of Macs, its cost effective too.

If money is not a concern, yes - buy a new computer every year.

And I still don't understand why Apples with out-of-date components have resale value. Sheeple who can't afford new?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I'll buy an iMac with "anti reflective" glass, but if what they mean by "anti reflective" is matte, no thanks. In that case, i'll just buy a 2011 i7 and hope the matte screen is gone in the 2014 iMac.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
And I still don't understand why Apples with out-of-date components have resale value. Sheeple who can't afford new?

No clue but it certainly helped me to sell my 2 year old Mac Pro for 2000$ and buy a new one for 2800$ in 2008.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Every rumor is always subject to the filter of "is this BS spread from Apple to test where the leaks in their company are?" and the filter of "is the analyst/reporter/blogger saying this just to get some attention?"

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
First yes I am, second that is not what the post was about. Mac Pro are professional machines which right now run up to 12 cores with 64 gig for 12 grand, that is not a lot of money for a Professional, let me spell it again Professional not McD unless you own a McD which why you would want one is well up to you, but you will pay for bragging rights.

That's a sh-t ton of money for a professional...especially freelancers. That type of machine is probably used by 2% of the industry out there.

The rest of us mid-high level professionals are not going to drop that much on a machine, even a Mac-Pro tower.

I work at one of the biggest post-houses on the east coast and I can tell you that we'd never blow that much on a PC/MAC.

The biggest argument for "upgrading" a computer isn't what you might want to do a few years later - but what you want to have on day 1.

I'll agree with your premise that "2nd/3rd year" upgrades are fairly rare.

Not really true. One of the most common 2nd year upgrades is a graphics card which is a huge upgrade for graphic/motion/editing professionals along with gamers. Another 2nd year upgrade sometimes is more RAM that goes with possibly new software/games that come out. They usually go hand in hand.

Starfires

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Kashiwa, Japan
Retina?

Does this mean we will have desktop retina displays, the 'next big thing'? I'm on an aging 2008 Core 2 Duo macbook, which with a fast SSD is still doing the job okay. I don't really want to upgrade just for a bit more speed, but a 20-22" retina display might convince me.

I know the larger iMacs have a lot of resolution, but the extreme screen size is too big for me usual desktop use. So here's hoping this comes sooner rather than later.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That is the limitation of the all-in-one design, not just the iMac. Apple is not the only one who makes all-in-one desktops. So that argument could really be applied to an HP or Dell all-in-one. All-in-one's are not supposed to be easily upgradable, towers are. So you are comparing two very unlike terms. Considering multiple companies make all-in-one desktops, I do not know why you felt like singling out Apple.

Sure man, if you say so. Thing is, they don;t really offer anything else, unless you want to drop $2k+ on a Mac Pro, which is rumored to be discontinued soon. Even so, that Mac Pro is less upgradable than a PC is, that's for sure. OSX is quite picky with what hardware it likes and dislikes, based on personal experiences (Hackintosh).

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That's a sh-t ton of money for a professional...especially freelancers. That type of machine is probably used by 2% of the industry out there.

The rest of us mid-high level professionals are not going to drop that much on a machine, even a Mac-Pro tower.

I work at one of the biggest post-houses on the east coast and I can tell you that we'd never blow that much on a PC/MAC.

True... but HP and Dell make machine that cost just as much too.

There must be a market for them... even if it's small.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Remember, he is not talking about people who work McD. :rolleyes:
(If it wasn't clear I agree with you and find his statement ridiculous). $12k is the price of an entry level car.

gtg660w

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Digitimes Again....Seriously

MacRumors....When are you going to finally stop posting articles related to Digitimes...Everyone knows their track record is crap. When Oh when have they ever been first to report accurate information of an unreleased Apple Product???:mad:

Starfires

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Kashiwa, Japan
Touchscreen

I'd like to see the iMac be a computer that makes the front pages of magazines again. I absolutely love my 27" i7 iMac, but it's going on 4 years now (I think). It's been so good to me that I probably won't need to replace it for another 2-3 years.. unless Apple does something drastic.

I mocked something up. It's an iMac with an easel screen. I'd like to see Apple explore more of touch on the desktop with OSXI (11) and I think this is along the right lines. It would be cool if the screen could go not just to easel position, but also level out horizontally to be like the MS Surface. I'd also like to see a touchscreen keyboard. Many of us have gotten used to typing on a touch screen and it would be great to have the keyboard change based on software... Imagine having the keyboard change themes based on games or applications... it would also be great to remove the dock and have the launcher on the keyboard. Maybe I got it wrong.. it might make more sense along the top of the keyboard, but the launcher makes more sense on the keyboard for me either way.

Please excuse the wonky top black bezel area (where the camera would be). I know it's not drawn straight... I'll fix it later.

Excellent idea, though I suppose it's a few years down the line yet, not that I'd put it past apple to radically redraw the boundaries so quickly.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
That is the limitation of the all-in-one design, not just the iMac. Apple is not the only one who makes all-in-one desktops. So that argument could really be applied to an HP or Dell all-in-one. All-in-one's are not supposed to be easily upgradable, towers are. So you are comparing two very unlike terms. Considering multiple companies make all-in-one desktops, I do not know why you felt like singling out Apple.

Apple is not the only computer manufacturer that build all-in-one computers but they are the only one that do not build regular desktop computers (apart from niche models like Mini and Pro).

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Apple is not the only computer manufacturer that build all-in-one computers but they are the only one that do not build regular desktop computers (apart from niche models like Mini and Pro).

As far as I can tell it's working out quite well for them. :)

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011

Even if your mock up is very rough, it's a great idea.

Unfortunately I don't see apple wanting to push their envelop with their new imacs, which to be frank, at this point after what about close to a decade now of the same design are boring as hell. They won't even manage doing proper height adjustment for basic ergonomics in the imac...

Excellent idea, though I suppose it's a few years down the line yet, not that I'd put it past apple to radically redraw the boundaries so quickly.
At this stage in the history I would. Anyway they are not working on touch of os x now and they won't in a long time. At least if they could make the new imacs more ergonomic and less the same old boring years old design with countless bs ads by Ivy talking about how calm and minimal the (same old) design is, Ivy btw who is more and more becoming some arcane bs marketing speaker and instead of a designer...no wonder he wanted to quit a while back...

Last edited:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I like my Macbook Pro. But I sold my 2011 iMac and built my own PC with the money I got from it. It is a lot more powerful, and upgradeable, as desktop computers should be. I feel like the iMac is a large notebook, and will continue that way. Before all the haters vote this down, think about this in regards to the iMac: The hard drive is not user replaceable, and besides the RAM, nothing is replaceable or upgradeable. So, here is my huge "no thanks" to Apple and the iMac.

Apple will eventually not let you replace RAM either. I bet they will integrate it on the motherboards on the iMac as well. Will suck big time.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Why in the world would you upgrade a computer? I have owned numerous PCs and Macs and never in my life have I upgraded a computer (other than adding RAM). People love to tout the "upgradability" of PCs, but in reality, by the time you want to upgrade the video card (or some other component other than RAM), you really need a new motherboard, but then you need new faster RAM to take advantage of it, oh and while you're at it, you may as well get the new processor, and, and...oh, you just bought a new computer.

It's always better to just buy the new model and get ALL the technology improvements at once. Considering the high resale value of Macs, its cost effective too.

Why would I want to upgrade my computer... Oh, I don't know... maybe the hard drive would eventually go out (they do that, you know), and I would want to replace myself rather than pay Apple a forture to do so. Or the display. Or the video card. Or the RAM. When that happens, should I plop down $1500 for a new machine or $50-$100 for a new component? Maybe I need a bigger hard drive for my growing movie collection. Should I buy a new Mac for that? In your eyes, I should just shut up and buy a new Mac every year to further prop up that huge cash reserve they don't really know what to do with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.