Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:34 AM   #26
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: US of A
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I have the unlimited data plan.

I love myself so much for that.

BJ

__________________
The New iPad 4G-LTE | 64GB | $829 | UDP | Apple TV | iPhone.4 | iPod Touch x3 | Rolex x3| BMW | Trophy Wife | Beach House | iPad 4G-LTE Elitist Club® Member

Looking at your signature line I can certainly believe that you love yourself.
TB07-NJ is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:41 PM   #27
boltjames
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB07-NJ View Post
Looking at your signature line I can certainly believe that you love yourself.
I live in Bergen County, quite posh.

BJ
__________________
The New iPad 4G-LTE | 64GB | $829 | UDP | iPhone 5 | 64GB | $399 | UDP | ATV x3 | iPod Touch x4
iPhone 3GS x2 | iMac | Rolex | BMW | Trophy Wife | Beach House | iPad 4G-LTE Elitist Club® Member
boltjames is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 01:50 PM   #28
stdwest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Hi,
maybe it's not your case but I wanted to share this info anyway.
A similar thing happened to me, I received a notification from AT&T saying I have used 80% of my limit and I was 4 days into my plan. I'm using wifi a lot so I checked cellular usage from my phone and it was something way below 80%. I called AT&T and they said there is sometimes that problem- people receive messages even though they have a lot of data in their data plan and walked me through some steps (reset this, power off and on). I don't know what was the issue but I don't receive that message anymore unless I really have a low less than 80% remaining in my data plan.
stdwest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 03:28 PM   #29
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: US of A
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I live in Bergen County, quite posh.

BJ
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 04:40 PM   #30
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I had this problem over 3G as well. After enabling and trawling some logs, it turns out in my case Flipboard was the one using the lions share of data for that session. After using it on wifi, it was no different other then to say wifi I don't care much about. It's not limited to cellular.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:27 PM   #31
Kwill
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Kwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by stdwest View Post
Hi,
maybe it's not your case but… I received a notification from AT&T saying I have used 80% of my limit and I was 4 days into my plan. I'm using wifi a lot so I checked cellular usage from my phone and it was something way below 80%. I called AT&T and they said there is sometimes that problem- people receive messages even though they have a lot of data in their data plan…
Thanks for this. Cellular Data Account within Settings indicates 80% used for remaining 26 days even after restarting iPad.
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:08 PM   #32
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
saying that everyone should turn off their cellular connection to avoid it is silly
Not silly at all. It's a simple toggle that gives u total piece of mind. Especially if ur on a capped data plan.
sulpfiction is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:36 PM   #33
Archer1440
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
Thanks for this. Cellular Data Account within Settings indicates 80% used for remaining 26 days even after restarting iPad.
Try calling AT&T. If it's a glitch in the data as mentioned by stdwest then perhaps it's the same reason your device reports that use rate. Have you reset usage stats in settings so you can track actual usage?

I travel a lot internationally and use that rough gauge to ensure I don't bump the limits on my international roaming plan (250 mb). It always slightly over-reports what the carriers actually say I use. I just spent two weeks in Japan, with push email enabled, doing some web stuff, lots of Twitter feeds (often with photos) and using Google maps very sparingly, and still had 35 mb or so when I left. I did use WiFi in hotel rooms and for bigger photo uploads.

Even with my unlimited ATT data domestic account I rarely bump up to more than 750 MB.

Then again I don't use hulu.

The LTE and 3G systems aren't actually intended for video streaming from Hulu or Netflix- read your contract.
Archer1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:37 PM   #34
bcaslis
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Not silly at all. It's a simple toggle that gives u total piece of mind. Especially if ur on a capped data plan.
It's silly to tell everyone there must be a bug in iOS because one person sees a problem so then everyone should turn off cellular.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 3.0GHz i7 8GB/512GB , iPad mini Verizon LTE 64GB, Mac mini server, iMac 24", iPhone 5s 64GB
bcaslis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 04:48 AM   #35
scottw324
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
This is my first cellular iPad. My previous iPad 2 was wifi only.

I just looked at my first months worth of cellular data usage of the iPad and out of the 3GB plan I have used 527 MB in 22 days (I have AT&T model). That 527 MB was some emails, some web browsing, streaming Netflix, and using the eBay app. I usually turn cellular off and leave it off until I need it. I figure if the companies are going to be a pain with the different data plans then I am going to hoard my MBs and use them when I want/need versus getting all the normal traffic that gets sent to the iPad like notifications, GPS signal, email, etc...

I have an iPhone 4 as well so most of the time I use that if I need to check something. I only switch to the iPad when I am out if I want to use the larger screen to make it easier. I know a lot of people won't like this option but like I said it keeps my data usage down so I pay AT&T less and my data is there if I need it. I have 8 days left in this period so I will probably stream some more Netflix while I am away from home. :-). Don't want to just give up those GBs.

IMHO, the companies should just charge $5-10/GB and call it quits at that instead of some of these ridiculous plans. $14 for 250 MB, $30 for 3 GB. I use pretty low data usage each month but never 250 MB. Always over that. Maybe 1-2 GB/month. What if I don't use 3 GB each month but I use over 250MB? There is no middle ground.
scottw324 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:31 PM   #36
flindet
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
I had this problem over 3G as well. After enabling and trawling some logs, it turns out in my case Flipboard was the one using the lions share of data for that session. After using it on wifi, it was no different other then to say wifi I don't care much about. It's not limited to cellular.
Intriguing. I do have Flipboard installed. Can you kindly point out where you enabled/found the logs so I can see if that's my problem?

Thanks.
flindet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:38 PM   #37
chakraj
macrumors 65816
 
chakraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It does suck that we have to micro-manage this. My wife only uses her phone for the most basic e-mail and such. 99% of the time she's using it as a "dumb" phone.

But that didn't stop the phone from deciding to use 10x the amount of data that she had ever consumed in a month, all in one night while she was sleeping. The phone was at home, well within the confines of our WiFi network. Regardless, whatever it decided to do was via cellular.

The worst part is that we're supposed to simply trust their account of data usage, but they either will not or cannot determine what the data was being used for. Think how outraged people would be if we received a cell bill with charges for undisclosed telephone calls.
What a friken scam business.....

I want to use your service, how much is it.

Its only 20$, but you cant go over or its much more

Ok, how will I know if I go over?

We will tell you.

Ok, who keeps track?

We do.

Oh so I cant tell how much im using, and I cant stop from using it, and you charge for overages and you decide when it is an overage or not, is that correct?

Yes thats right.

OK, heres my paycheck now to save time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw324 View Post
This is my first cellular iPad. My previous iPad 2 was wifi only.

I just looked at my first months worth of cellular data usage of the iPad and out of the 3GB plan I have used 527 MB in 22 days (I have AT&T model). That 527 MB was some emails, some web browsing, streaming Netflix, and using the eBay app. I usually turn cellular off and leave it off until I need it. I figure if the companies are going to be a pain with the different data plans then I am going to hoard my MBs and use them when I want/need versus getting all the normal traffic that gets sent to the iPad like notifications, GPS signal, email, etc...

I have an iPhone 4 as well so most of the time I use that if I need to check something. I only switch to the iPad when I am out if I want to use the larger screen to make it easier. I know a lot of people won't like this option but like I said it keeps my data usage down so I pay AT&T less and my data is there if I need it. I have 8 days left in this period so I will probably stream some more Netflix while I am away from home. :-). Don't want to just give up those GBs.

IMHO, the companies should just charge $5-10/GB and call it quits at that instead of some of these ridiculous plans. $14 for 250 MB, $30 for 3 GB. I use pretty low data usage each month but never 250 MB. Always over that. Maybe 1-2 GB/month. What if I don't use 3 GB each month but I use over 250MB? There is no middle ground.

How about this...

Its 10$ a gig, for email...

15$ more per gig for web browsing.

20$ a gig for social networking.

So a quick check of your email, and a look on MR, and a facebook update will only cost you $45.00 per gig.
__________________
Why am I here? “On action alone be thy interest,
Never on its fruits. Let not the fruits of action be thy motive, Nor be thy attachment to inaction.”
chakraj is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:53 PM   #38
Badrottie
macrumors 68020
 
Badrottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Yes, I have always disabled cellular data while at home around wifi for this very reason.
This….with both of my iPhone and iPad
__________________
That is OK to make fun of my poor english grammars just because you are bullying deaf people.
Badrottie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:23 AM   #39
Dkorda
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I live in Bergen County, quite posh.

BJ
Time to buy an unlimited plan off eBay for $700. Then you can be like Bolt, better than the rest of us... But over his ears in debt.
Dkorda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:58 AM   #40
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkorda View Post
Time to buy an unlimited plan off eBay for $700. Then you can be like Bolt, better than the rest of us... But over his ears in debt.
Yeah well Bolt is in for a shocker as ATT will be throttling unlimited accounts on the iPad. They have alread set the LTE cap at 5GB.

Then those 500 to 700 purchased SIMs wont seem like such a good deal.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:10 AM   #41
Archer1440
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Yeah well Bolt is in for a shocker as ATT will be throttling unlimited accounts on the iPad. They have alread set the LTE cap at 5GB.

Then those 500 to 700 purchased SIMs wont seem like such a good deal.
While Bolt is clearly a disturbed keyboard kommando, I wonder what prompts you to write a completely unsubstantiated, undocumented bit of drivel. Jealous of unlimited plan holders much?
Archer1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:28 AM   #42
boltjames
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkorda View Post
Time to buy an unlimited plan off eBay for $700. Then you can be like Bolt, better than the rest of us... But over his ears in debt.
No debt at all other than two modest mortgages which our financial advisor insisted we keep so as to avoid heavier taxation.

When you make a large salary (two, in fact) and don't spend like a drunken sailor, you don't need to borrow any money so there is no debt. Some rich people are, you know, smart.

BJ
__________________
The New iPad 4G-LTE | 64GB | $829 | UDP | iPhone 5 | 64GB | $399 | UDP | ATV x3 | iPod Touch x4
iPhone 3GS x2 | iMac | Rolex | BMW | Trophy Wife | Beach House | iPad 4G-LTE Elitist Club® Member
boltjames is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:59 PM   #43
dabomb1188
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It does suck that we have to micro-manage this. My wife only uses her phone for the most basic e-mail and such. 99% of the time she's using it as a "dumb" phone.

But that didn't stop the phone from deciding to use 10x the amount of data that she had ever consumed in a month, all in one night while she was sleeping. The phone was at home, well within the confines of our WiFi network. Regardless, whatever it decided to do was via cellular.

The worst part is that we're supposed to simply trust their account of data usage, but they either will not or cannot determine what the data was being used for. Think how outraged people would be if we received a cell bill with charges for undisclosed telephone calls.
This happened to me as well. It is definitely an iOS or AT&T problem. Restoring the iPhone was the only thing that would fix it. I had over $100 in overages. Thankfully, after arguing with AT&T for an hour or two, they refunded my overage charges.

If the basic customer service doesn't work for you, email the CEO. That is what I did and he put me in touch with executive customer service who was much more understanding and able-minded.
dabomb1188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:12 AM   #44
donga
macrumors 6502a
 
donga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
yep airplane mode! turn wifi on
did not know this trick, thanks for the info!
donga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:51 AM   #45
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
While Bolt is clearly a disturbed keyboard kommando, I wonder what prompts you to write a completely unsubstantiated, undocumented bit of drivel. Jealous of unlimited plan holders much?
Click Me
And Me
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:01 AM   #46
rkahl
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Yeah well Bolt is in for a shocker as ATT will be throttling unlimited accounts on the iPad. They have alread set the LTE cap at 5GB.

Then those 500 to 700 purchased SIMs wont seem like such a good deal.
Source?
__________________
Too much!
rkahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:57 PM   #47
Scuba-EMT
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Solomons Island, MD
I wonder what I am doing "wrong", as since receiving my IPad 3, I have only used 2.7 GB of cellular data. I never turn off the cellular connection, and I stream Sirius XM radio on my IPad's cellular connection several hours a day at work (we do not have WiFi at my office).
__________________
MacPro (Dual 2.66 GHz, 2x512 GB SSD, 4x4 TB HD, 64GB Ram, Dual 27" ACD), IMac 27" I7, rMPB (2.7 GHz, 16GB, 768GB SSD), MBA 13" Ultimate, IPad Air AT&T 128GB, IPhone 5s, IPod Touch and Nano.
Scuba-EMT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:43 AM   #48
Archer1440
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Links to unrelated (first link) and incorrect (second link) information do not support your statements. I am amazed at both the speed and quality of my AT&T data connection. Particularly video. And the fact that it's unlimited and unthrotlled is icing.
Archer1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:59 PM   #49
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I run into the same problem. I'll be at work listening to Spotify and realize my work Wi-Fi is on (where I work we're not allowed to stream audio or video on the company network). So I turn it off. Then I get home and don't remember to turn it back on. Is there something they could implement in iOS that would take care of this for you? So based on the environment the software would know whether to enable or disable Wi-Fi?
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:07 PM   #50
Zinthar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
As someone mentioned earlier, the wireless broadband paradigm in the U.S. is very troubling because it ends up being a major pain, and partially offsets the gains that are supposed to come from having access to the internet anywhere.

I've been struggling to decide whether to buy a 32GB Verizon LTE model or the 64GB Wifi-only model, and reading about these types of issues is steering me rapidly toward the latter. I would love to have the option to pay $20/mo. to do some e-mail and web browsing on the road rather than pulling out my phone, but remembering to switch off the cellular connection as soon as I'm done with it is problematic.
Zinthar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
at&t, data limits, ios, overcharge, throttle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC