Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
Ok so I got a new powerbook in Feb. 12" 1.5Gz, 512mb RAM, superdrive, etc etc.

when I first used it I remembered that the fan did not come on that often, and I really liked the fact that my powerbook remained quiet very often.

it seems like lately the fan comes on a LOT, and i'm not even runing any applications, just have the powerbook on, with word. The fan doesn't take a while to come on either, seems like a few minutes after I turn the machine on, the fan comes on.

weird?

It is getting hot in southern california lately. Should I be worried?? am i overreacting?

gunnmjk

macrumors member
May 25, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I'm not sure, but I think the fan has to do with the graphics card. the graphics card gets extremely hot especially when playing games. For me, it usually doesn't come on when web browsing, but if I open up photoshop, or a game, it will usually come on. After a while, the fan turns off. It's no big deal, and just helps the computer keep cool. Take note of what your computer is actually doing when the fan comes on. Also, look at the CPU levels in "Activity Monitor" and see if the fan is coming on when they are in the higher range.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
god... I cant remember the last time I heard my PB fan turn on, or at least turn on full-force (other then when booting up). And I use Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, iPhoto, iTunes, Maya, and a few games... I dont recall ever hearing the fan on running any of those applications.

But then again... my PB is sitting an an iCurve all the time (except when its out)

Also, check out the Activity Monitor when you hear the fan kick in again... sometimes a 'root' process will turn on and require a lot of CPU power (happened a couple times for me)... you can either wait for it to finish, or just restart.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
As someone posted earlier in this thread there are others having this very issue. The virex software seems to be causing issues for people using Panther. If you are using virex I suggest you remove it and see if that helps before anything else. Good luck :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Chrispy said:
As someone posted earlier in this thread there are others having this very issue. The virex software seems to be causing issues for people using Panther. If you are using virex I suggest you remove it and see if that helps before anything else. Good luck :)

I'm pretty sure the problem is Virex + Tiger, not Virex + Panther. I haven't heard any problems with 10.3 yet but heaps of problems with 10.4 but I might be wrong, it could be both.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Well, it seems I didn't sucessfully use thet search function in these forums... I started a thread regarding this issue a few days ago (Link ). Basically, my GPU seems to be the problem, it's always about 60°C hot... and it's not Virex, nor any other special app... I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with these problems. The 12" PB seems to be the only model affected... stupid NVidia graphics! :mad:

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
yOyOYoo said:
It is getting hot in southern california lately. Should I be worried?? am i overreacting?
Don't worry, I live in Germany (not the greatest weather, you can check "Bochum, Germany" in dashboard if you'd like to know what I mean) and my problems are exactly the same. I don't think wanting a quiet computer is "overreacting". It doesn't happen on the 12" iBook, and it's no problem on any other PowerBook... :mad:

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
Well I just received an email from Apple mentioning some safety recall for a bad batch of batteries that could overhead and pose a fire damage.

Maybe I just have one of those batteries??!?

Is the batter located on the left side of the powerbook?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yOyOYoo said:
Well I just received an email from Apple mentioning some safety recall for a bad batch of batteries that could overhead and pose a fire damage.

Maybe I just have one of those batteries??!?

Is the batter located on the left side of the powerbook?

HardDrive is on the left, battery on the right, although if you are a part of the recall you should get a new battery just to be safe

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Hehe...I posted one of these a lil bit ago, I have a 1Ghz 12", and the fan kicks on more than I'd like, but, I think that's just what you get with such a small computer. My brother in law has the 15", and his rarely comes on...I'm sure having 3 extra inches of width helps enough with heat dissipation. I would recommend getting one of the ... "things" with fans on it built specifically for keeping a laptop cool. I have a Targus Chill Pad, it works pretty good, someone mentioned an iCurves...I dont' know what that is, but I"m thinkin it's the same type idea.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
The left section of my 12" PowerBook gets hot, especially the top left, near the display. Also the hinge of the screen gets hot, around 135.9º F. But when I first got scared of its high temperature, I discovered I had sort of blocked the back vent, and that was the main reason.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hmm,

My new PB's battery is model number A1079, but the serial number doesnt fall within specs of replacement. I got it June 1st, so I'm guessing I'm ok?

My powerbook gets hot too, but mostly when it's sitting on my lap and I'm blocking the vents or something. Also, There isn't much place for the heat to dissipate either I suppose. I'm thinking of getting one of those USB power chillers too. Only time my pb gets SUPER hot is when I'm ripping CD's to iTunes. I just finished ripping 20 CD's straight yesterday one after another, and the bottom was scorching hot.

I have a quick question....Seeing as I am a student home for the summer, my powebook never leaves my desktop. Rather than keep draining and charging the battery, can I just take it out until I plan to go mobile? Seems to make sense to me, as I don't want to flying through battery cycles like crazy.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.