Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thorn73

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I have never seen anything that says Apple uses Gorilla Glass. Until Apple comes out and says they actually use Gorilla Glass (they may have, but I haven't seen it) or Gorilla Glass 2, or until I see Apple put their name on THIS list, I will continue to say Apple doesn't use Gorilla Glass. Every other manufacture says point blank they use it. I know of 6 people in my small office that have a 4S, 4 of these six have badly shattered screens, the other 2 have screens with small cracks. They all use the Apple bumper. Just bad luck? I don't think so. I have never seen any phone with Gorilla Glass, especially the Galaxy S line of phones (most common I see) ever shatter from just a typical drop.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/02/apple...ne-means-gorilla-glass-2-likely-for-iphone-5/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/02/apple-name-drops-corning-as-iphone-glass-manufacturer-we-feign/

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I know of 6 people in my small office that have a 4S, 4 of these six have badly shattered screens, the other 2 have screens with small cracks.

I know at least 20 people that uses iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s and they never shatter or small cracks. Just good luck? I don't think so.

I have used iPhone 3, 3GS, 4S and none of them have shatter screen or small cracks. Just good luck? I don't think so.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011

Ummm....can you point out to me where it actually says Apple is using Gorilla Glass? Corning makes a lot of glass, all of which are not Gorilla Glass. Apple does not come out and say point blank they are using Gorilla Glass. Why? If you're already naming the manufacturer of your glass, then what possible reason can any manufacturer have for not just coming out and saying they use Gorilla Glass? So until then, any assumption Apple uses Gorilla Glass is just that, an assumption. Anyone who sees it any other way needs to take of the Apple shades.

When it comes to shattered screens, there are numerous posts in Apple forums on a regular basis about their shattered screens. You just don't see posts like these on a regular basis in forums for other devices.

----------

I know at least 20 people that uses iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s and they never shatter or small cracks. Just good luck? I don't think so.

I have used iPhone 3, 3GS, 4S and none of them have shatter screen or small cracks. Just good luck? I don't think so.

No not good luck, you just happened to know 20 people who have not dropped their phone. On second thought, that may be considered lucky. ;)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
DanteMann, have you any proof from Apple or Corning that iPhones do not use Gorilla Glass? Before you once again point to your list, I'm going to quote something from it:

Corning®*Gorilla®*Glass is used by more than 30 major brands, has been designed into more than*600 product models, and is featured on more than 600 million devices worldwide. Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more.

Notice the phrase I bolded,A that phrase was likely included at Apple's request in order to remain off if the list.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
DanteMann, have you any proof from Apple or Corning that iPhones do not use Gorilla Glass? Before you once again point to your list, I'm going to quote something from it:

Notice the phrase I bolded,A that phrase was likely included at Apple's request in order to remain off if the list.

:eek: Wow, you just gave Apple full credit for corning having that statement. Sheep mentality at is finest. I guess Corning couldn't have come up with that statement themselves, after all it is their glass, their business, their contract agreements, their...well you get the point. I guess there are no other manufacturers in the world that use Gorilla Glass that may not state it. But let's get back to my point. Every other significant mobile manufacture has come out and said they use Gorilla Glass on their higher end devices, point blank. That's because it's a good thing. It's a selling point. So why doesn't Apple just come out and say they are using it if they indeed use it? Especially (now here's the kicker) after they already have said Corning is their glass supplier. So why not tell us if it is indeed Gorilla Glass? Maybe because it isn't. Quite simple.

Oh as for your question if I have any proof Apple don't use Gorilla Glass? I don't have to prove they don't. It's up to Apple to say they use it. Until then, the default is true. It's simple logic. Mobile devices do not come standard with Gorilla Glass. It's something the manufacturers chose to use. Simple enough to understand? Oops, maybe I should have told you to take of your Apple shades first before reading my response.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
:eek: Wow, you just gave Apple full credit for corning having that statement. Sheep mentality at is finest. I guess Corning couldn't have come up with that statement themselves, after all it is their glass, their business, their contract agreements, their...well you get the point. I guess there are no other manufacturers in the world that use Gorilla Glass that may not state it. But let's get back to my point. Every other significant mobile manufacture has come out and said they use Gorilla Glass on their higher end devices, point blank. That's because it's a good thing. It's a selling point. So why doesn't Apple just come out and say they are using it if they indeed use it? Especially (now here's the kicker) after they already have said Corning is their glass supplier. So why not tell us if it is indeed Gorilla Glass? Maybe because it isn't. Quite simple.

Oh as for your question if I have any proof Apple don't use Gorilla Glass? I don't have to prove they don't. It's up to Apple to say they use it. Until then, the default is true. It's simple logic. Mobile devices do not come standard with Gorilla Glass. It's something the manufacturers chose to use. Simple enough to understand? Oops, maybe I should have told you to take of your Apple shades first before reading my response.

If I left out the word "likely" then Apple would have gotten full credit or that phrase. But because I included that word, one can summarize that Apple uses that phrase and possibly pushed, along with other companies, to have it included.

Using intuitive logic and recently written articles quoting Apple and Corning employees, one can come to the conclusion that Apple does indeed use Gorilla Glass. While your statement of not all mobile devices coming with it is true, it is not true for Apple mobile devices. The only reason why Gorilla Glass is currently used on any mobile device is that Apple asked Corning to start making it again. Before mid-2007, no device used it. You may now remove your polarization lenses.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Thought Apple stopped using Gorilla Glass and started cheapening out with alternatives since the iPhone 1?

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
I know this sounds odd but I literally woke up this morning and saw this:

http://gallery.me.com/ashley.warren#100011

I was using the phone last night and it was pristine, put it in my bedside table, woke up this morning, picked up the phone, saw the crack. It's had the bumper on it since day 1.

I already setup a swap at the Apple store but I just wanted to post here, this stuff is fragile! Be careful, glass is glass apparently, no matter what Apple says.

OP if you weren't going to swap it i would say make sure you keep an eye on it. They had those examples of iPhone 4's either catching on fire or the battery expanding like crazy. This could have been a possibility?

Not sure. not that it matters as everyone is just arguing about whether iPhone uses gorilla glass or not :p

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
OP if you weren't going to swap it i would say make sure you keep an eye on it. They had those examples of iPhone 4's either catching on fire or the battery expanding like crazy. This could have been a possibility?

Not sure. not that it matters as everyone is just arguing about whether iPhone uses gorilla glass or not :p

OP started this thread Jul 6, 2010! ;)

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
No not good luck, you just happened to know 20 people who have not dropped their phone. On second thought, that may be considered lucky. ;)

You just happen to know 6 careless people that drop their iPhone. I don't think it really matters if it's gorilla glass or some cheap glass because glass are not meant to be dropped. lol;)

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012

So your sample size is 21 people (including yourself)? I know at least 21 people and none have been hit by a bus. Just good luck? I guess that means being hit by a bus is impossible.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Luck either way. "People I know" is never a statistically meaningful sample. The glass can break. Whether it does or not isn't guaranteed either way despite the people that assert that there's some sort of universal rule.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
So your sample size is 21 people (including yourself)? I know at least 21 people and none have been hit by a bus. Just good luck? I guess that means being hit by a bus is impossible.

I was just pointing out that DanteMann's statistic is invalid. I was using his wording in my scenario. I never said that the 20 people includes myself. In fact, if i have to count then i am sure i have more than 20 friends that uses iPhone without a shattered or scratched glass.

You just helped me to point out what i said. DanteMann's 6 people sample size means that iPhone has cheap glass rather than gorilla glass.

I am just saying that glass aren't meant to be dropped, gorilla glass or cheapo glass. Look at the whole conversation before talk like a smartass.

Luck either way. "People I know" is never a statistically meaningful sample. The glass can break. Whether it does or not isn't guaranteed either way despite the people that assert that there's some sort of universal rule.

As mentioned, I was using DanteMann's wording to say that the 6 people he knows have scratched glass or shattered glass means nothing because i know at least 20 people that didn't scratch their glass.

According to his logic, if 6 people is a good sample then i guess 20 is better? You guys need to learn to understand the whole conversation before stepping in.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why are we arguing about luck here, people? First of all, a person with an iPhone who has NEVER dropped his/her phone shouldn't even go into the numbers when considering how many people have a cracked screen. It is going to take some sort of trauma to the device itself to crack the screen. I have never dropped my phone, therefore I cannot say how wonderfully durable the screen is, seeing as how I have never subjected it to any condition that could have cracked it. Make sense? It does to me.

Fank

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
OH USA
iphone 4s glass shattered

My daughter had her iphone 4s on the back of a couch, a low-back couch, probably 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall. She had a coat in her arm; she turned around and the coat bumped the phone off the top of the back of the couch on to a laminate floor. She had an Apple bumper case on the phone. The glass shattered big-time, leaving a couple thin shards on the ground.

When first contacting Apple about what happened, the rep was surprised it shattered from such a low fall, and stated that Apple uses something stronger than Gorilla glass (although I was not impressed by that statement considering what happened.) I understand the bumper case isn't much protection, but why would Apple call it a 'bumper' case if it's really only meant to help with antenna issues?

Anyway, we took it to the Apple store, explained what happened. Apple genius gave some examples where one person dropped their phone 6' onto concrete and the phone was fine; this Apple genius personally had their own daughter's iphone fall a couple feet onto a thin carpet - and shattered the glass. All a matter of angle it seems.

The local Apple store credited our money for the purchase of the bumper case (we had the invoice with us), stating that it's practically useless for protection, gave us a free juicy couture case, and we switched from Verizon insurance to Applecare at a very nice discount, and bought a new iphone4s at a discount.

Daughter has new iphone 4s, new case, new protection plan, and a lesson learned. She bought the original iphone4s with her own hard-earned money.

Last edited:

OldManJoe

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
Glass & Steve Jobs

In the Biography that was published after Job's passed, there was a discussion about his relationship with Corning. The new CEO would be spitting in fates face if he changed from Corning to another supplier. Now let's talk about Glass.

Job's switched to Gorilla glass so you could carry the phone in your pocket along with your keys and not scratch the glass. The reason there are a thousand different types of iPhone and iPad covers is simple. It doesn't matter what kind of glass you use, glass is brittle. What Gorilla glass provides is a scratch RESISTANT surface, but, just like the coated aluminum case, if you drag it over a bed of gravel, it will get scratched.

I've had several Apple products and have actually dropped them several times. I was lucky and they landed in a manner where they didn't crack but on several occasions I was shocked. They are tough but nothing is indestructible. My suggestion to everybody is to simply be aware of what you are doing when you pull your phone or whatever out of your pocket or briefcase. If you are prone to dropping things.....well, carry a large piece of foam around with you and keep moving it so you are always protected.

On another note. I was in Sydney with my Partner and his one week old iPhone. He dropped it and cracked the glass. We took it to one of the Apple Stores there in town and the salesperson was kind enough to simply give us a new phone, free of charge, because he felt sorry for us. Gorilla Glass or not, you cannot beat the Customer Service. My brother crashed his airplane and his phone was lost in the lake he landed in. His nearby Apple store also gave him a new phone. Free. Enough said.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I understand the bumper case isn't much protection, but why would Apple call it a 'bumper' case if it's really only meant to help with antenna issues?

I don't see how calling the 'case' a bumper is problematic. Most of the cases in the market is more of a look than protection. The bumper was release with the iPhone 4 and it was NOT meant to help with antenna issue. Apple just happen to give it for free because of the antenna issue. Don't mix up the fact.

Should i sue my car manufacture because the bumper didn't protect me from getting hurt if there's an accident?

Fank

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
OH USA
I don't see how calling the 'case' a bumper is problematic. Most of the cases in the market is more of a look than protection. The bumper was release with the iPhone 4 and it was NOT meant to help with antenna issue. Apple just happen to give it for free because of the antenna issue. Don't mix up the fact.

Should i sue my car manufacture because the bumper didn't protect me from getting hurt if there's an accident?

Not a correct analogy - should I sue the manufacturer if the 'bumper' doesn't protect the car AT ALL from damage?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think its a paranormal effect or byproduct of the OP's relatives that past away and want to validate their presense to him.
That they are still with him manifesting to many unexplained similar phenomena like glass breaking on its own, the tv that shuts off automaticly after you enter the sleep timer mode and many other similar incidents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.