Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
My clamshell iBook is doing pretty well with Linux, but for certain software and Internet reasons, I'd be more than happy to switch to OS X. I have another computer with a version of OS X that's compatible. And, I have CD's that I could burn if loading OS X involves that, and a couple flash drives. I'd also be willing to pick up a version of OS X off eBay or Craig's list or something.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
You can use the other Mac and connect via firewire for target disc mode - you can google search on how to do this. You will need to make sure the version of OSX you are installing is compatible.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
My clamshell iBook is doing pretty well with Linux, but for certain software and Internet reasons, I'd be more than happy to switch to OS X. I have another computer with a version of OS X that's compatible. And, I have CD's that I could burn if loading OS X involves that, and a couple flash drives. I'd also be willing to pick up a version of OS X off eBay or Craig's list or something.

Turn on the iBook and upon hearing the startup tone, hold down the "F" key until you see the firewire symbol appear on the screen. Hook up your FireWire 400 cable and connect your iBook to another PowerPC Macintosh. Insert the OS X disk into that computer and reboot into the installer. In the installer, be sure to pick the Firewire drive and you should be good to go. This is what I have to do to install OS 10.4 to my iMac G3 because it doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive. Good luck. :)

Also, PowerPC Macintosh computers cannot boot from USB, so Firewire is your only option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.