Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berto33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Hello,

I wrote on this forum a few weeks ago, because I have a Mac book from late 2007 that wouldn't boot. So I found the necessary CD's and all that. When I put CD 1 in, a message comes up on the screen that says : "This software cannot be installed on this computer". I feel extremely confused by this rather odd statement. It's the installation Cd that came with the computer all those years ago. When I put CD 2 in, I just get a "Read Me" file, telling me to insert CD 1 to be able to reinstall OSX.

Can anybody help me? I'm in desperate need for my computer.

Thanks in advance,
Albert

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello,

I wrote on this forum a few weeks ago, because I have a Mac book from late 2007 that wouldn't boot. So I found the necessary CD's and all that. When I put CD 1 in, a message comes up on the screen that says : "This software cannot be installed on this computer". I feel extremely confused by this rather odd statement. It's the installation Cd that came with the computer all those years ago. When I put CD 2 in, I just get a "Read Me" file, telling me to insert CD 1 to be able to reinstall OSX.

Can anybody help me? I'm in desperate need for my computer.

Thanks in advance,
Albert
Are the install discs the ones that came with that particular MacBook? Or did they come with another Mac? The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models. You can either order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple, or you can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

Berto33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Hi,

Those Installation discs are definitely the ones that came with this mac.
I checked on the "about this mac" thing, and it says that it's OSX 10.4.11 but the installation disc 1 says : OSX 10.5 Could that be the problem?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hi,

I checked on the "about this mac" thing, and it says that it's OSX 10.4.11 but the installation disc 1 says : OSX 10.5 Could that be the problem?

Yes.
What exact Mac do you have and where did you get the DVDs? And how did you determine, that those DVDs should be the correct ones?
If it is from late 2007, it either came with 10.4.11 or 10.5.0, but the DVD is probably not recognised.
Again, why not get the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD, which works perfectly?

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
Key differences

A software update is usually downloadable free of charge; a software upgrade usually is not.
A software upgrade usually increments the first "dot" number of a product (for example Mac OS X v10.6, Mac OS X v10.5); a downloadable software update usually increments second "dot" number (for example, Mac OS X v10.6.8, Mac OS X v10.5.8).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

That error message always appears when you try to use install discs that came from another Mac model. If your Mac came with 10.5, it wouldn't have 10.4 installed, unless you intentionally downgraded, which Apple recommends against.

Berto33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
simsaladimbamba : I got the mac in Bordeaux, and I know that those installation discs are right ones because I've never ever bought any others, and they've always stayed in the box. I wouldn't mind buying the snow leopard DVD, but if possible, i'd rather not have to spend anymore money on the computer.

GGJstudios : No I haven't ever downgraded it, I don't understand why they would give me 10.5 installation discs if my version of OSX is only 10.4.11

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
simsaladimbamba : I got the mac in Bordeaux, and I know that those installation discs are right ones because I've never ever bought any others, and they've always stayed in the box. I wouldn't mind buying the snow leopard DVD, but if possible, i'd rather not have to spend anymore money on the computer.

GGJstudios : No I haven't ever downgraded it, I don't understand why they would give me 10.5 installation discs if my version of OSX is only 10.4.11
If you haven't downgraded, then obviously the discs are not the install discs that go with your computer. Did you buy it used or new? From Apple, or someone else?

You can find specs on all Apple products, including what OS shipped with which models:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.