Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
in time with Nokia windows phone launch?

interesting note, couple of rumors today considering windows phone on sale.

I have no interest in the windows phone, btw...

4" iPhone bring it on, i had say earlier the better (even i have iPhone 4S).

alexexexex

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Please can we can not call it iPhone 5 anymore!

Its iPhone (6th Gen)
or
iPhone (4th Form factor)
or
new iPhone (with 4G)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm not sure how they could pull it off without an ugly plastic strip (as on the first iPhone), but I'd love to see an aluminum back again. I'm not a big fan of the tapered edges, though. In two more months, we'll all know what to expect.... :D

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Please can we can not call it iPhone 5 anymore!

Its iPhone (6th Gen)
or
iPhone (4th Form factor)
or
new iPhone (with 4G)

You're fighting an uphill battle. Just deal with it.

----------

I'm not sure how they could pull it off without an ugly plastic strip (as on the first iPhone), but I'd love to see an aluminum back again. I'm not a big fan of the tapered edges, though. In two more months, we'll all know what to expect.... :D

Is it August already?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Has anyone seen the jailbreak that runs iPhone-sized apps on and iPad without the 1x and 2x options. It's not a good look, giving the result a lot of Android tablets have when running phone apps that Tim Cook mentioned in the 2012 iPad event.

Can't the new iPhone just give more real estate to apps the Mac apps do? There aren't different applications for every Mac screen size?
They manage to make applications that work on 11", 13", 15", 17", 21" 27", or am I missing something?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I don't mind the current iPhone 4/4S case. Besides the attennagate thing, I haven't really had tat much of a problem. Just wondering how many people want a change just for the sake of change and how many people have a specific problem with the current case.

On a somewhat related note, I'd be interested in seeing what people's reaction would be if Apple dropped the iPod Touch entirely and made the iPhone available with & without the phone/data plan? It would save Apple a lot of money in R&D work by only having to design one product.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
3.5" was based on being able to use the device one-handed. If you reduce the bezel, the hand is closer to the screen and so a finger can reach across that bit further. Maybe that explains the change to 4"?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Nice to see MacRumors still getting their money's worth out of that ugly iPhone 5 mockup.
That is one of the ugliest mock ups and it's so annoying to see it everywhere. I'd love the next iPhone to be as thin as the iPod Touch but I don't want it to look like an iPad. Besides would aluminum work on a phone? Isn't there a reason the band on the current iPhone is stainless steel?

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Could they do something other than quadruple the resolution to maintain a high pixel density without requiring developers to make changes to existing applications? For example, instead of doubling the vertical and horizontal pixels, could they multiply them by 1.5?

Not really. Then the developers have to make image.png, image@1.5x.png, image@2x.png for every image they use in their apps.

Also consider the physical size - buttons have to be big enough to touch, and the layout has to make sense for the app. iPhone apps on larger screens start to look barren and well, ugly. iPad apps look cramped on smaller screens - all UI elements, no content.

Only full screen apps like games and video players can really adapt to any screen size. For all of the rest, physical screen size has to be considered.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
No need to change screen sizer imho

I would prefer if they reduced the rim while keeping the screen the same size to achieve a smaller overall device, instead of increasing the screen size. I think the size works perfectly and the screen resolution is awesome. No need to change that. But smaller and thinner would be a nice improvement. :)

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
iPhone 4 design is still much better than anything in the market. Even if there is a new design with a bigger screen (which will support a bigger battery for 4G), I`m guessing the 3.5 screen version will still be there for years. And then maybe we will be talking about iPhones like we would be talking about Macs. Several models with different internals and price ranges. But I guess that is still several years down the road.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I don't mind the current iPhone 4/4S case. Besides the attennagate thing, I haven't really had tat much of a problem. Just wondering how many people want a change just for the sake of change and how many people have a specific problem with the current case.

On a somewhat related note, I'd be interested in seeing what people's reaction would be if Apple dropped the iPod Touch entirely and made the iPhone available with & without the phone/data plan? It would save Apple a lot of money in R&D work by only having to design one product.

The iPod touch has a place because it is much cheaper to buy. This is in part because it doesn't require all the phone call gubbins, and because it uses some cheaper components such as the screen.

The iPhone is available in the UK without a phone/data plan. It is a lot more expensive than an iPod touch.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Thinner?, Bigger screen? Aluminum back? I really don't care what the iPhone 5 looks like at this point. I really don't. I'm sure it will be a great design. Just give me it on an LTE network (other than AT&T) please. Anything to get off AT&T's crappy 3G network. Three years of crappy 3G, barely there, slow, connectivity is enough.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
How can the iPhone 5 have a LTE or even a bigger retina screen without being the same size or bigger? The iPhone 5 will not be thinner with LTE.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006

Just like the iPad. That'd be super nice! :rolleyes:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
As long as the screen is 4" or larger, I'm all in! 3.5" is simply too small for power users.

It's a phone! who the heck is a power user on a phone? larger screens do not increase productivity or make the user a power user (whatever that even means).

Tee1970

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Thinness limited by camera size? Dock size?

This super-thin design seems unlikely to me - they have a limitation on width to maintain the quality of the phone sensors and to have more battery life. It would be great if they could do all that, power a larger screen, add LTE, and make the device thinner.

I think it is more likely it will be the same thickness.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder if they'll design something that doesn't require a case. I saw a post on twitter from someone who got to meet Jony Ive and said Ive hates iPhone cases with a passion. Yes most cases out there are quite ugly but there's no way I'd go naked.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"This new, sleek look will be the most important reason that consumers decide to upgrade”

Ah yes, the conventional wisdom (from Android land?) that it must look NEW* and have an exciting NEW NAME to make people want it! This despite the 2008 iPhone 3G look still selling like crazy...

*except when it’s a blatant Apple rip-off.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I actually don't want them to make it any bigger. I've seen some of the Android phones with bigger screens and they are just horrid. Nice screen, but they just feel wrong.

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I hate those weird looking iPhone mock ups we always see with a larger screen, they're really ugly. Hopefully Apple's model doesn't look anything like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.