Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

instagram-150x150.png

Facebook has announced it is buying the extremely popular photography app-maker Instagram for a reported $1 billion.

Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the acquisition in a blog post today:
For years, we've focused on building the best experience for sharing photos with your friends and family. Now, we'll be able to work even more closely with the Instagram team to also offer the best experiences for sharing beautiful mobile photos with people based on your interests.

We believe these are different experiences that complement each other. But in order to do this well, we need to be mindful about keeping and building on Instagram's strengths and features rather than just trying to integrate everything into Facebook.

That's why we're committed to building and growing Instagram independently. Millions of people around the world love the Instagram app and the brand associated with it, and our goal is to help spread this app and brand to even more people.
Apple named Instagram its iPhone App of the Year for 2011. Instagram is also the 19th most downloaded free iPhone app of all-time. Instagram launched an Android app just last week.

Instagram is a free download on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Buys Instagram For $1 Billion

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2010
Well I guess thats the end of instagram! Joking aside I have mixed views about this!
Not really a fan of facebook anymore but maybe this will get me back using it more! Well its more an issue of people posting stuff on it rather than the companies I follow posting to it!

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Well, like a lots of things about the WWW, Nice while it lasted....

space dog

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Just as long as they don't try to model the Instagram app the way they did their Facebook app.

dubprocess

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
i cannot blame instagram..if someone showed me 1 billion dollars right in front of my face..i would sell out so quick ..

dubprocess

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
why is everyone so surprised..we all knew they were building a user base to exploit in the long run...it was a master plan to build up a free service so they could make money in the long run..

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Big deal. Instagram is pointless anyways. "Here, have a look at this photo of my desk that I've filtered to make it look vintage!" Dumb.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Camera + is better. If I want to beat the crap outta my pics, I'll do it in a proper photo-editing app. 'course, I am a hyper-nerd.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Okay, whatever. I don't even use Instagram.

But a BILLION dollars? How in the hell can it be worth that much???

You can do pretty much the same thing with Twitter!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.