Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zac goes rawr:D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Most of the time this would be a stupid question, it's the first beta of a operating system so obviously it'd be way to unstable. but because it's a "upgrade" not redesign, is it possibly stable/ faster than lion as it is now?

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Most of the time this would be a stupid question, it's the first beta of a operating system so obviously it'd be way to unstable. but because it's a "upgrade" not redesign, is it possibly stable/ faster than lion as it is now?

It's always a stupid question! It's a beta, so it is not intended and not recommended for regular use. A number of applications don't work and need to be updated, so unless you solely rely on Apple apps for your regular use, you will be disappointed.

It's quite stable, so developers can actually start updating their applications and implement new features (iCloud storage, yay!).

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yes It's quite stable for everyday use however some apps & games may not work.. In my case everything worked except for Onyx..

I don't see anything wrong with a typical user using Developer Preview.. Just keep in mind that not everything is expected to work.. There is absolutely no harm in installing it on a different partition..

I've been using Mountain Lion since release as my primary OS I've even removed Lion.. So far no crashes or anything along those lines.. And the applications and games that I rely on are all working..

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I agree with Thunder, beta's don't belong on any machine except a developers thats specifically for beta's.

Thank you! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills in this place. This Mountain Lion sub-forum should be filled with questions or hopes about Mountain Lion not tips and tricks for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to run is as their every day OS. It's not a public beta.:rolleyes:

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I have been using it for regular use with very little issues but I also have 2 other computers and multiple backups of all my stuff in case anything goes wrong. If you are thinking of installing a beta on your only computer, don't.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I installed Mountain Lion DP 2.

Remarkably, everything worked fantastically well and I have about 50 major apps installed. Everything from Photoshop CS to Snapz X Pro worked perfectly....

However, the one thing that went wrong was my email.

It would not work with my Verizon Fios SMTP account. Just could not get Apple Mail to send out a single email. Whereas the settings worked perfectly under Lion, somehow it was changed in Mountain Lion or the new email requires additional settings I could not figure out.

I am guessing that the email portion of DP2 is not yet totally refined.

Real shame. It looked as if DP was stable enough to use as an everyday operating system, but in the end, it was Mail that killed the Mountain Lion.

Fortunately, I did a backup and restored using Super Duper back to Lion.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Nuclear weapons safe enough for regular use?

I guess not, definitely not by you. About the Lion, DP2 seems to be smooth and not that laggy and buggy as DP1 (obviously) and within 3 days of whole day use I had only one issue with Mission Control: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14578070#post14578070

Except that It was pleasure to work with ML, but SL is SL no doubt that Im still missing Expose in ML. So until Apple learn from their mistake to get it back Im keeping SL. ;)

Discaciate

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
It's pretty stable. So far I have had only a single one Kernel Panic. Most apps work and I have came across just a few bugs.

But putting this on your main machine is a risk, and things could go bad. But that's always been the case with Alphas, Betas and so on... But then you could just reinstall the last stable version, load up your backup and go on with no harm done.

One thing that people should consider is that those future OSs releases are going to be much more integrated with cloud services (iCloud in this case). This does bring some new dangers that a lot of people are not aware.
How happy would you be if you came across a bug that would mess up a lot of your iCloud contacts infos, for example?

That scenario is somewhat improbable, but it can happen. Dropbox "auto photo upload" is a nice example of that. Now it works just fine and it is present on the stable releases. But it had it's beta period and Dropbox made it pretty clear that anyone participating should have backups of everything.

Bottom line: if you feel like testing it, go ahead. But do understand the risks involved in the process.

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Of course not. But I've been using DP2 S my main OS it is buggy sometimes slow. Rarely I have startup issues. But other than that is has what one might classify as tolerable to use everyday. Animations and other things are quite snappier such as opening the finder and windows like about my Mac.

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
Of course not. But I've been using DP2 S my main OS it is buggy sometimes slow. Rarely I have startup issues. But other than that is has what one might classify as tolerable to use everyday. Animations and other things are quite snappier such as opening the finder and windows like about my Mac.

Same here, I have been using it everyday, without any issue that would make me wish to reinstall lion. A few gameplay issues, a little buggy with Arkham asylum. All my previous Ilife, iWork apps work like normal, and settings are stable. The machine is much more laggy specifically on startup, than lion. But that is understandable. Updates work fine except going through app store but no issue there either. I don't regularly use some of the features that have been reported buggy so it works great for me.

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Same here, I have been using it everyday, without any issue that would make me wish to reinstall lion. A few gameplay issues, a little buggy with Arkham asylum. All my previous Ilife, iWork apps work like normal, and settings are stable. The machine is much more laggy specifically on startup, than lion. But that is understandable. Updates work fine except going through app store but no issue there either. I don't regularly use some of the features that have been reported buggy so it works great for me.

Yah so far I like it and for being a beta it works very well. There are a few graphical errors and I noticed that while I am in iTunes full screen if I want to search something on the store it takes me back to my desktop page and out of my iTunes store searches but other than that nothing major. I like it and an extremely pleased with what we are getting. And better yet I have very high hopes for iOS 6 I am hoping for more synchronization between devices like the safari tab syncing I hope that is placed in iOS 6. Either way I like where Apple is going. Mobility I believe is where Apple really has its sights set and well it's pretty obvious that is the future. I mean a desktop isn't just going to disappear but I believe that it will slowly fade as an important component to serious computing but that is still very far off.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
No. Definitely not. Install it on another HD or partition but I wouldn't recommend it as anyone's main OS.

It is a beta. Just not public.

Yeah, since Lion Apple changed the ADC membership and such. Used to be hundreds of dollars to join, and beta's were released much more frequently than 4 or so as Lion. Apple lowered the price to $99, same as iOS membership, in part to entice more consumers to become active in beta testing and perhaps to entice intermediate users to get into programming with pushing Xcode. With the iOS developer program, there's been a lot of people who began learning and producing apps (many with iTunes U courses, still have the Stanford courses I need to take).

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.