Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 9, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
PacificBeach
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
An iPhone 4S Userís Weekend with the Nokia Lumia 900 ( Lumia Review )

http://www.maclife.com/article/featu...okia_lumia_900


An iPhone 4S Userís Weekend with the Nokia Lumia 900
PacificBeach is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:09 PM   #2
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
I am surprised that bunches of people aren't crying foul that this thing looks very much like the iPod Nano from a few generations ago...
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I am surprised that bunches of people aren't crying foul that this thing looks very much like the iPod Nano from a few generations ago...
Probably because it doesn't.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:23 PM   #4
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
The Lumia 900 is getting mostly positive reviews from everybody. I tried it out at the AT&T store on Saturday. It is a great looking device. If Apple doesn't come out with a 4" iPhone in October, I am switching to an Apollo Windows Phone later in the year.
saintforlife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:24 PM   #5
SurferMan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South FL
Cool review, and it's a cool phone itself. They did a great job on the new Mango OS. I'm sure in time once it's used on other good phones since it's pretty limited now, Windows phones will be a key player against Android and iOS. Their app store has been getting better and better too.
__________________
13" MBP 15" MBP jb'd 5 5S..... Galaxy S5 running DynamicKat
wife has now joined the S5 and left iPhones, end of the world as we know it lol
SurferMan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
aneftp
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
So tempted to upgrade my spare line for $19.99 to Nokia lumia 900 and at least try it out.

$19.99 plus $36 activation upgrade so about $55. This $19.99 is for amazon wireless per existing line upgrade and not for add a line.

Maybe keep line for min 181 days and than cancel line.

Total cost would be $56 plus $260 etf. So about $320 for phone. My spare line had 3 months remaining anyways. So would have to pay $10/month anyways.

Not a bad deal to try out phone. I can easily resell it for $200-250 in a few months anyways.
__________________
(late 2012) 27 in Mac 3.2 Intel Core i5 24GB RAM 1TB fusion, mid 2013 Macbook Air 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
64GB iPhone 6 plus, 64GB iPad Air 2
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:19 PM   #7
ipodlover77
macrumors 6502a
 
ipodlover77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
maybe its me but alot of the reviews i read dont really give specifics on how the screen is compared to the retina display. thats what im most curious about.
ipodlover77 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:35 PM   #8
aneftp
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodlover77 View Post
maybe its me but alot of the reviews i read dont really give specifics on how the screen is compared to the retina display. thats what im most curious about.
I played with one in store. Screen is nice. Like SG2 4.3 inch screen. Resolution is 480x800. So not retina.

Windows phone is very fluid. No lag.

The big drawback is browser speed. Windows phone browser feels like iPhone browser iOS 4 or android froyo 2.2 browser.

So browser is def a gen behind in rendering webpages.
__________________
(late 2012) 27 in Mac 3.2 Intel Core i5 24GB RAM 1TB fusion, mid 2013 Macbook Air 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
64GB iPhone 6 plus, 64GB iPad Air 2
aneftp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:36 PM   #9
pacmacman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodlover77 View Post
maybe its me but alot of the reviews i read dont really give specifics on how the screen is compared to the retina display. thats what im most curious about.
It's not good. I had the phone for a day, wanted to test it out. Readin websites is like night and day compared to the 4S. Videos look okay, though.
pacmacman is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:47 PM   #10
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
AT&T to spend $150M on Lumia launch, more than it did with iPhone

Quote:
In order to help bolster launch sales for Nokia's new Lumia 900 handset, exclusive U.S. carrier AT&T is willing to spend up to $150 million in ad money, more than it spent on Apple's iPhone.

The $99-on-contract Windows Phone, which officially went on sale on Sunday, is seeing heavy investment from AT&T in an attempt to stave off competition from other major carriers that are eroding the telecom's smartphone lead, according to Ad Age.

AT&T, which used $3 billion in advertising money to become the second-largest spender in the country in 2010, declined to comment on the exact Lumia campaign figures, though sources say that the company will put in some $150 million over the coming months.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...a_ad_push.html
saintforlife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
Probably because it doesn't.
I disagree. Not that I think it actually warrants a complaint (was being sarcastic), but that body looks VERY similar to the iPod nano body...




__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a
 
Ajones330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SEC Country
I actually have been using the Lumia 900 for about a week now and it is a solid device. It is totally different from the iPhone so that was the reasoning behind wanting it. I prefer my iPhone 4 but having a different device is fun too. The screen is okay but nothing compares to the retina display and the app store has improved but Windows has to add major apps like instagram if they want to compete with iOS and Android. The app market is lukewarm at best. Call quality is good and the speed is not bad at all. I am not in an LTE market so I am getting about 4.3mbps down. For the price I think Windows will do okay. ATT reps are going to be pushing the devices so that may help boast some sales...
__________________
There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.~Peter F. Drucker

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:47 PM   #13
0m3ga
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
The only problem I had with the Lumia 900 and other wp's is the amount of clicks or swiping it takes to get down to the item you want. It is very Window-esque in that regard. Other than that and the lack of a high res screen, I thought it was about the same in terms of speed, web browsing and rendering as the ip4.
0m3ga is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:55 PM   #14
3dflyboy1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I disagree. Not that I think it actually warrants a complaint (was being sarcastic), but that body looks VERY similar to the iPod nano body...

Image


Image
Y'know, because apple patented the rectangle.
3dflyboy1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:35 PM   #15
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyboy1 View Post
Y'know, because apple patented the rectangle.
I didn't say they patented the rectangle. I am talking about the "shell" of the thing. They look very similar to me. Read my other posts... you will know that I think nothing is more ridiculous than things like Apple suing Samsung over the look of their tablet... What I am saying is that it happens and I am shocked I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

There are lawsuites over the similarities between the following:

Do I think there should be? Absolutely not... But I find the similarities between the Galaxy tab and iPad and the similarities between the lumia 900 and the iPod to be about the same.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.

Last edited by lordofthereef; Apr 9, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:48 PM   #16
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Do I think there should be? Absolutely not... But I find the similarities between the Galaxy tab and iPad and the similarities between the lumia 900 and the iPod to be about the same.
They are the same shape when viewed head on... it pretty much ends there.
There are a lot of things in this world that share similarities with other things that perform the same or similar functions.
The Lumia 900 looks nothing like an iPod Nano.
The iPod is a compressed oval, and the Lumia is a rectangle with rounded edges.
The Lumia has a display that covers the entire face with controls on the side, and the iPod has a partial display and physical controls on the front.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:22 PM   #17
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
They are the same shape when viewed head on... it pretty much ends there.
There are a lot of things in this world that share similarities with other things that perform the same or similar functions.
The Lumia 900 looks nothing like an iPod Nano.
The iPod is a compressed oval, and the Lumia is a rectangle with rounded edges.
The Lumia has a display that covers the entire face with controls on the side, and the iPod has a partial display and physical controls on the front.
You missed my point (as did everyone else here). Oh well. I am actually thinking of getting one, seeing how I like it. Everything about it is great, minus the resolution. Not sure if I can live with that coming from an iPhone 4s and GNex.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:35 PM   #18
terraphantm
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
I must say, I love the black levels of that screen. I hope Apple comes out with a "Retina" OLED display some day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I disagree. Not that I think it actually warrants a complaint (was being sarcastic), but that body looks VERY similar to the iPod nano body...

Image


Image
Honestly, I don't see it. Unless having a screen and a colored body = having a very similar design.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3ga View Post
The only problem I had with the Lumia 900 and other wp's is the amount of clicks or swiping it takes to get down to the item you want. It is very Window-esque in that regard. Other than that and the lack of a high res screen, I thought it was about the same in terms of speed, web browsing and rendering as the ip4.
iOS is pretty bad with that too. The only reason I jailbreak these days is to get shortcuts to things like bluetooth and wifi.
terraphantm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:11 PM   #19
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Its the best WP7 device out there but as an iPhone 4S user switching to it is a downgrade IMHO...in more ways than one.

The iPhone has a better CPU, GPU, Screen Resolution, Camera, and overall Ecosystem. Despite being 6 months older.
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:15 PM   #20
DanteMann
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodlover77 View Post
maybe its me but alot of the reviews i read dont really give specifics on how the screen is compared to the retina display. thats what im most curious about.
The screen is considered one of THE BEST in the industry. Why? Because it's Samsung's SuperAmoled Plus display. The exact same screen as the one in the SGS2. I know Apple followers will swear by LG's retina display, but there is no replacement for screen space. I'll take a 4.3 inch SuperAmoled Plus display over a 3.5 inch with high ppi. Contrast is wicked, and the blacks are absolutely black on Samsung's dominating SuperAmoled Plus displays. It doesn't get better.
DanteMann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:22 PM   #21
HickDead
macrumors 6502a
 
HickDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH
What's a review of a Windows Phone doing in the iPhone section?

Just because it was reviewed by an "iPhone 4S user?"

Really?

Should I post a review of my new BMW 750i Hybrid vehicle here as well? I am an iPhone 4S user after all?

Please advice. Thx
HickDead is offline   -21 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:46 PM   #22
ipodlover77
macrumors 6502a
 
ipodlover77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickDead View Post
What's a review of a Windows Phone doing in the iPhone section?

Just because it was reviewed by an "iPhone 4S user?"

Really?

Should I post a review of my new BMW 750i Hybrid vehicle here as well? I am an iPhone 4S user after all?

Please advice. Thx
Must ask. Was that a shameless plug so we'll know what car you drive?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post
The screen is considered one of THE BEST in the industry. Why? Because it's Samsung's SuperAmoled Plus display. The exact same screen as the one in the SGS2. I know Apple followers will swear by LG's retina display, but there is no replacement for screen space. I'll take a 4.3 inch SuperAmoled Plus display over a 3.5 inch with high ppi. Contrast is wicked, and the blacks are absolutely black on Samsung's dominating SuperAmoled Plus displays. It doesn't get better.
Ah nvm them. I actually sold every single s2 I had cause I could never get used to the screen. Browsing on anything but mobile site made me cringe.

Even happens with thE galaxy nexus I had. Maybe it's the pentile or just rendering issues.
ipodlover77 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:53 PM   #23
terraphantm
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodlover77 View Post
Ah nvm them. I actually sold every single s2 I had cause I could never get used to the screen. Browsing on anything but mobile site made me cringe.

Even happens with thE galaxy nexus I had. Maybe it's the pentile or just rendering issues.
I know what you mean - websites just didn't look right. I don't know if it's the display or if it was Android. By the time Apple implements OLED, I'm sure they'll make sure that it looks as good or better than the current IPS display in every aspect.

Last edited by terraphantm; Apr 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
terraphantm is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:11 AM   #24
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post

Honestly, I don't see it. Unless having a screen and a colored body = having a very similar design.[COLOR="#808080"]
Sigh... That is my point. Look at Samsung tablet versus the iPad. Do they look that similar? No. The form factor is even different. Sarcasm. Tongue in cheek. Taking a jab and suit happy companies. If people STILL don't get it after this post, I think they never will.,,

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Its the best WP7 device out there but as an iPhone 4S user switching to it is a downgrade IMHO...in more ways than one.

The iPhone has a better CPU, GPU, Screen Resolution, Camera, and overall Ecosystem. Despite being 6 months older.
CPU and GPU matter not when the OS runs well on them. I think many Android phones are testament to this. I hear you on screen resolution. Apparently Microsoft dropped the ball on this one as their OS doesn;t support anything higher. THat's a huge bummer. As of right now, no manufacturer can put out a better screen. Ecosystem is arguable. Frankly I think iOS is pretty limited. So is WP7. If you want a completely open ecosystem, go Android.

One thing to consider is the price point. $100 at any retailer, $50 at WalMart and Amazon. That's huge.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickDead View Post
What's a review of a Windows Phone doing in the iPhone section?

Just because it was reviewed by an "iPhone 4S user?"

Really?

Should I post a review of my new BMW 750i Hybrid vehicle here as well? I am an iPhone 4S user after all?

Please advice. Thx
Yes please. And tie it into how it compares to your iPhone. Thanks.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:13 AM   #25
terraphantm
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Sigh... That is my point. Look at Samsung tablet versus the iPad. Do they look that similar? No. The form factor is even different. Sarcasm. Tongue in cheek. Taking a jab and suit happy companies. If people STILL don't get it after this post, I think they never will.,,[COLOR="#808080"]
To be fair you said

"I disagree. Not that I think it actually warrants a complaint (was being sarcastic), but that body looks VERY similar to the iPod nano body..."

in the post I quoted. Doesn't sound too sarcastic. That's the only reason I said anything
terraphantm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phones: Nokia Lumia 1520 or Lumia 1020? Which would you choose? jamezr Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 96 Apr 26, 2014 03:59 AM
Got the Nokia Lumia 900 today. GKDAIR Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 18 Nov 4, 2012 10:41 PM
Nokia Lumia 900 GKDAIR Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 2 Oct 23, 2012 04:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC