Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

armyiphone.jpg

This weekend, AT&T began unlocking iPhones for off-contract customers. This allows the iPhone be used with a SIM-card from overseas carriers, or T-Mobile in the U.S. In addition to unlocking phones for off-contract customers, AT&T is also quietly unlocking iPhones for U.S. service members still under contract with the carrier.

Carriers are required by federal law to suspend service without penalty for deployed military personnel upon presentation of their military orders, but AT&T is not required to unlock the phones of deployed service members. Instead, the company is choosing to do that on its own.

AT&T declined to comment, but we have independently confirmed that AT&T is unlocking phones for service members upon request. Deployed soldiers, airmen, sailors, and Marines should contact AT&T customer service to get more information about having their iPhones unlocked.

Thanks Taylor! (Photo courtesy Otterbox)

Article Link: AT&T Unlocking In-Contract iPhones for Deployed Service Members

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Awesome, I always hated having to buy a new phone - but finding a microsim might be difficult.

Dragado

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Except there isn't much cell service in Afghanistan, but the thought is nice. Good on you guys!

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
But...but....but they're suppose to be an evil vicious company. Have I been lied to by the MacRumors forum loudmouths...

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Now that I think about it, T-Mobile unlocked my phone for a deployment to Iraq 6 years ago ... The phone didn't work well with Iraqna, but still.

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
But, how many of them will know this information if AT&T have no official words regarding it? Unless they already read it on MacRumors :p

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
While I was a bit cynical about them unlocking off-contract phones (my guess is that it was to avoid a lawsuit), this move in unlocking in-contract phones for our military is to be applauded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.