Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcotn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Question for experienced YouTubers: What's a good strategy to balance good quality video and conserve hd space? At first, I would just hit finalize project and let it render in hd. Beautiful looking quality of course, but eats up the gigs! I then uploaded with medium which is nice for space and speed, but hate the quality. Is there a better way to get nice quality, but not eat up so much time and space with the normal finalize option? I haven't tried Quicktime yet. Does it come out looking better? Also, some people talk about custom settings through QT. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

reubenroyapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
I do have the same problem as you, and i have discovered that using quicktime, you can fiddle about all day, but at the end of it your really not happy with the results from trying to save space, and you want to go back to iMovie's full HD render at the end of it. You really cannot get good quality and not take space.
However, if you do not want to keep your videos in high quality, you can just render it in youtube size which will take up much less room. If, like me, you want the full HD render saved on the computer but normal quality uploaded to youtube, i just make iMovie render it onto a 5TB external hard drive array, which will take quite a few years to fill it up. Unfortunately you do have to live with that annoying rendering time, although now i can borrow my parents new iMac it is much faster than it was. Now i have just been using the function where it renders 1080p and puts 1080p straight onto youtube, but i have to leave it uploading all night and some of then next morning. Sorry this cant be helped :/

Reuben

gcotn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
I do have the same problem as you, and i have discovered that using quicktime, you can fiddle about all day, but at the end of it your really not happy with the results from trying to save space, and you want to go back to iMovie's full HD render at the end of it. You really cannot get good quality and not take space.
However, if you do not want to keep your videos in high quality, you can just render it in youtube size which will take up much less room. If, like me, you want the full HD render saved on the computer but normal quality uploaded to youtube, i just make iMovie render it onto a 5TB external hard drive array, which will take quite a few years to fill it up. Unfortunately you do have to live with that annoying rendering time, although now i can borrow my parents new iMac it is much faster than it was. Now i have just been using the function where it renders 1080p and puts 1080p straight onto youtube, but i have to leave it uploading all night and some of then next morning. Sorry this cant be helped :/

Reuben

I did find this tutorial on using QT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgDGVFwSPag . I chose all best quality settings in HD. I don't know how space saving it is, but it does seem to be projecting a shorter rendering time as I'm waiting right now for one to finish... be interesting to see how the quality looks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.