Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's stock has continued its remarkable run in 2012, moving up another 1% today to briefly hit a market capitalization of $600 billion. The milestone comes just under six weeks after hitting $500 billion, and Apple's stock is now up nearly 60% since the beginning of the year.

aapl_2012_to_600_billion.jpg

If some analysts are to be believed, the $600 billion mark is just a brief stop on the company's way to a trillion dollar market capitalization. Analysts are beginning to float that unprecedented number as a target for Apple's stock price over the next year or so.

Apple is now within just a few billion dollars of taking Microsoft's title of most valuable publicly-traded company ever, targeting its rivals' $604 billion market capitalization achieved in December 1999. But adjusting for inflation, Microsoft's market capitalization at that time would correspond to over $800 billion in today's dollars.

Article Link: Apple's Market Capitalization Hits $600 Billion

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Man, and I remember looking at their market cap before the iPhone even came out and thought to myself, "Their numbers are just crazy high".

And now 600b :eek:

can.rules

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Man, and I remember looking at their market cap before the iPhone even came out and thought to myself, "Their numbers are just crazy high".

And now 600b :eek:

I love apple as much (actually more) than the next fanboy, but this is getting a little crazy. There's no way this can last, and I think it would be a lot better for the stock price to stabilize. When it goes back down to 500B or something like that, people are going to be calling apple a fail!

OTOH, I'm sure apple is worth 600 instagrams!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I've never seen a stock valued so highly increase so much in so short a time.

I would be nervous if I were a shareholder, even if their product and revenue structure is so tangible compared to a company that can float numbers like a bank.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You know what's scarier than a $600 billion company? A $600 billion company whose revenues are still growing at 40%+ year over year (and margins are still high).

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
there you go, and all they had to do was sell Hotdogs (iOS devices) to the lowest commun denominator.

times have changed :rolleyes:

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Now its certainly getting into bubble territory, time to pull my stock out I would think.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Now its certainly getting into bubble territory, time to pull my stock out I would think.

Indeed. No one, not even Apple, can sustain stock growth like this forever. If I had a large amount of stock I would be extremely concerned. Frickin happy as hell that I had so much money, but concerned.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I would be nervous if I were a shareholder, even if their product and revenue structure is so tangible compared to a company that can float numbers like a bank.

I am a stock holder and I am not one little bit nervious about the stock price. I still think the stock price is undervalued. Undervalued at $100, $200, $300, $400 and $500.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I love apple as much (actually more) than the next fanboy, but this is getting a little crazy. There's no way this can last, and I think it would be a lot better for the stock price to stabilize. When it goes back down to 500B or something like that, people are going to be calling apple a fail!

OTOH, I'm sure apple is worth 600 instagrams!
Yet the P/E-ratio, which relates directly to the exchange rate and thus the market capitalization, is below average for the industry. If Apple is able to sustain their current profit growth for at least another year, I think we'll hit the trillion dollar milestone sooner than most people would expect. If the growth would seize then Apple will probably flatten at around 750-800.

----------

Define bubble. Most analysts agree that Apple is closer to being undervalued than overvalued.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
This growth is amazing but as soon as Apple slips one quarter with less than stellar results, the stock is going to plunge. Now is the time to see who has the cajones to ride it out for a while longer

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
One day Apple will make everything we need in our lives. There won't be any competition as well.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Just because a company has a high valuation makes it a bubble? Please. Check the P/E ratios of the bubble stocks in the DotCom crash. Check the P/E ratio of Microsoft back when it hit its peak of a $600-billion-plus valuation.

If anything Apple is still undervalued. $100 billion in cash and a P/E of a low-growth company despite serious growth.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Anyone has any info on what Michael Dell has to say? Btw id rather 1/600th of apple than 1 instagram.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Once it does run out of steam... the about-face by all the financial (tech or otherwise) pundits is going to ridiculous... "Oh (even though we didn't say it publicly with any conviction) we're so smart that we JUST KNEW it couldn't keep going up forever... blah bubble blah blah, etc., etc.".

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
This growth is amazing but as soon as Apple slips one quarter with less than stellar results, the stock is going to plunge. Now is the time to see who has the cajones to ride it out for a while longer
That's very true, but doesn't this kind of reasoning to *any* kind of company experiencing stock growth?

It's amazing how people can be so negative about stock growth just because they think so much growth can't be possible. Get your (simple) facts straight: EPS is high, P/E is low: no bubble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.