Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:04 PM   #26
mBox
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
I'm increasing in temptation to get this. I may wait until they make version 11 though.

What do they provide as an alternative for Soundtrack? It's all done inside FCP?
If you still have the legacy studio then your fine. You can save with Roles and now use in other options. I havent really bothered since I use ProTools for anything audio. I tend to import audio back into <insert NLE here> before finishing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
The fact that one of them is only $299 is pretty awesome in my opinion!
If you do the math, Premiere Pro is about that anyway if its purchased in Production or Master CS. Even though I find PPro buggy and the fact that it deals with R3D files easily (we use this most of the time), our facility is Avid then FCP heavy due to its track record.
mBox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:13 PM   #27
MovieCutter
Banned

Here we go again...I'm sitting this one out boys...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mBox View Post
Haha here we go again
I swear Apple must be laughing at all the negative posts
Oh and btw, I just edited a movie clip in QuickTime Pro.
Just sent the invoice to client
I guess when I get paid I dont have to claim to the Tax man since its not a real pro job.
Get real you trollers :P
I never claim anything done in QT...ha ha ha.
MovieCutter is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:16 PM   #28
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by treichert View Post
Yes, because by definition every "Pro-app" that gets a new UI no longer is a "Pro-app".

UIs change. Get used to it.
I guess under his thinking Adobe Photoshop is no longer a pro app since its UI changed :P
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:19 PM   #29
mBox
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter View Post

----------

Haha some days you just have too It was funny, they wanted the portion cut out and since it was a hard cut with no audio conflicting, easy as pie
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:19 PM   #30
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
Just thought I'd chime in & say that I don't think it's the new UI that makes it less "Pro", it's the lack of features. Just my 2
Exactly. The lack of multi-cam support and server support are serious issues for movie/editing studio's. XML was eventually added, but it still lacks professional features that 7 offers. If it wasn't a good release, why did it get a slap from the industry, and even a funny spot on Conan O'Brien's show? Even film schools such as NYU released statements regarding why they will not be upgrading to FCPX.

As for the GUI, I don't believe that was the issue as GUI's change (although it is a lot like iMovie, which prompted many to claim FCPX is iMovie Pro).
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:20 PM   #31
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you do the math, Premiere Pro is about that anyway if its purchased in Production or Master CS. Even though I find PPro buggy and the fact that it deals with R3D files easily (we use this most of the time), our facility is Avid then FCP heavy due to its track record.
Absolutely, you are correct sir! However, as time has gone on I've been able to stream line my work flow and for what I need (editor, basic colour correction, titling, some motion graphics, basic sound design, and compressor) $400.00 for the full meal deal (FCPX, Motion, Compressor) is all I need. I don't need any crazy colour correction (my friend does that professionally) and my brother does any sound design that I may need. It's a nice change after dropping so much cash into Adobe's money pit for so many years.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:22 PM   #32
mBox
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
I guess under his thinking Adobe Photoshop is no longer a pro app since its UI changed :P
What oh no no no, PS is not pro anymore since everyone from secretaries, auto sales, priests etc. use it :P

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
...I don't need any crazy colour correction...
Try DaVinci Resolve Lite. Does the body good
mBox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:31 PM   #33
Mr-Stabby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
The lack of multi-cam support and server support are serious issues for movie/editing studio's.
Does it not have these features now? In fact i've read reviews saying the FCPX Multicam feature is actually a big improvement on the FCP7 version.
Mr-Stabby is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:33 PM   #34
mBox
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Exactly. The lack of multi-cam support and server support are serious issues for movie/editing studio's. XML was eventually added, but it still lacks professional features that 7 offers.
Its just another pencil. It gets tiring when (and Im part of the blame since Im chiming in with my stupid remarks too) everyone that claims they know dont know.
Yes all the good stuff is missing.
Yes Apple pooched this release.
However, its a lot better than what they did with Shake. A seat in Shake was crazy back in the day and now its EOL. Some of us are used to change and seem to deal with it well.

I too have friends and colleagues that dont like FCPX and I respect that. They have valid reasons and most are due to current infrastructure in their facility. That's all changing since most bought it for personal use and learning it on the side.
But for new users out there cutting it down just cause they get a chance to take out their iPod/iPhone frustrations out on it just bugs me :P
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:37 PM   #35
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateMacs View Post
Come on. It's a great way of working. It was a bold move for Apple to change it so much, but it will pay dividends in the future.

It's still lacking some pro features, but for something this new it's a good start.
Agreed. People hate change. If you've never used FCP, it's a great starting over point.
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:41 PM   #36
dicklacara
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Exactly. The lack of multi-cam support and server support are serious issues for movie/editing studio's. XML was eventually added, but it still lacks professional features that 7 offers. If it wasn't a good release, why did it get a slap from the industry, and even a funny spot on Conan O'Brien's show? Even film schools such as NYU released statements regarding why they will not be upgrading to FCPX.

As for the GUI, I don't believe that was the issue as GUI's change (although it is a lot like iMovie, which prompted many to claim FCPX is iMovie Pro).
FCP X added multicam in 10.0.3 (Jan 31, 2012) -- many claim it is the best multicam of any NLE out there.

Part 2 of a 3 part series of FCPX Multicam tutorials from Mark Spencer and Steve Martin
dicklacara is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:44 PM   #37
mBox
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Agreed. People hate change. If you've never used FCP, it's a great starting over point.
I wish I can understand that. When I took my classes (back in the day), I love learning new things. Then when new software came out, just had to try it and see if I can learn it. I guess not all of us like to just try new things.
To get back on topic, judging from others (I cant download it yet due to projects), its mostly Thunderbolt fixes. My only recent issue was with Black Magics Intensity Pro. Damn thing only works under Lion. Maybe now it works under Snow Leopard but Ive moved on to a "new" OS so its moot
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:47 PM   #38
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicklacara View Post
FCP X added multicam in 10.0.3 (Jan 31, 2012) -- many claim it is the best multicam of any NLE out there.

Part 2 of a 3 part series of FCPX Multicam tutorials from Mark Spencer and Steve Martin
Yup, Apple has done good in adding some important features, I should have clarified that my comment was regarding its initial release. To not have certain professional features for a first major release was a big mistake given many professionals had been clamoring for a 64-bit revamp for years. Eyes were on Apple. Glad Apple is listening.

However, a good friend worked (and still is) as a design consultant for ProApps, specifically FCPX. While they cannot disclose much for obvious reasons, they have hinted at frustrations between the recommendations/input from the design team (all film editors) and engineers, coupled with a lack of funding in the ProApps department (which is also badly managed).
bedifferent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:54 PM   #39
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yup, Apple has done good in adding some important features, I should have clarified that my comment was regarding its initial release. To not have certain professional features for a first major release was a big mistake given many professionals had been clamoring for a 64-bit revamp for years. Eyes were on Apple. Glad Apple is listening.

However, a good friend worked (and still is) as a design consultant for ProApps, specifically FCPX. While they cannot disclose much for obvious reasons, they have hinted at frustrations between the recommendations/input from the design team (all film editors) and engineers, coupled with a lack of funding in the ProApps department (which is also badly managed).
It wasn't a mistake. It makes sense to release the app half baked but ready to use for many people and then start listening for feedback compared to keeping the app in the labs for several more years until it's "ready for everyone". The app gets better faster if it spends its life outside the lab.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:55 PM   #40
mBox
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Im ready for anything. We've been stocking up on Mac Pro's at work and have been solid with other tools just in case it all goes away.
Things change and even Apple can and probably will too.
Such is life.
mBox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:03 PM   #41
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Good points guys. Here's hoping more improvements come down the pipe
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:34 PM   #42
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I wish I can understand that. When I took my classes (back in the day), I love learning new things. Then when new software came out, just had to try it and see if I can learn it. I guess not all of us like to just try new things.
To get back on topic, judging from others (I cant download it yet due to projects), its mostly Thunderbolt fixes. My only recent issue was with Black Magics Intensity Pro. Damn thing only works under Lion. Maybe now it works under Snow Leopard but Ive moved on to a "new" OS so its moot
I learned FCP back on Lynda.com about 1.5 years ago. When I saw the 'refresh' of FCX, I immediately liked the interface waaaaay better then anything FCP had. I think people just have a hard time letting go of what they had and can't really get into the new workflow. Obviously many PRO features are missing.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:49 PM   #43
dicklacara
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Yes! Apple did a terrible job with the way they handled the FCP X introduction...

Also, there were rumors (last year) that many of the ProApps people left Apple because they didn't like the decisions being made...
dicklacara is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:54 PM   #44
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcow View Post
It should let you drag .mts (AVCHD) files directly into a project like Premiere can, without having to wrap them in a QuickTime file.

It should also support network drives that aren't specifically an XSan volume.
I agree. It's a quick re-wrap with ClipWrap, but that's another purchase I don't believe we need to do. Once it's re-wrapped, the workflow is good, but it does irk me that i can't just drop files in...
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:58 PM   #45
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter View Post

----------

Same here on both points.
NY Guitarist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:05 PM   #46
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Try DaVinci Resolve Lite. Does the body good
Ooooooooooooo!!! Thank you so much! I'm quite familiar with DaVinci, but didn't know they had a free light version. I love new toys, especially when they're free! Thanks again!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:04 PM   #47
ShockMe
macrumors newbie

my 2 cents, I like FCP X, and now that the monitoring feature is finalized, I can finally use my hardware for professional monitoring with my Matrox LE.

They already released their drivers, for those interested, you can get them here

http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=7990

Thought I'd share with the community
ShockMe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:43 PM   #48
econgeek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
It's still crap. This is no longer a "PRO" app. Bring back the old interface and maybe I'll reconsider. Until then, CRAP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
Exactly. It's iMovie Prosumer. Final Cut Pro 7 is
still superior to X. Adobe Premiere still blows away X as well.
Adobe partisans are about as interesting (and coherent and honest) as Android or windows partisans.

Reality is-- Final Cut Pro has been kicking Adobe's ass for the past decade and the new version increases its lead.

The salt in the wound-- It wouldn't have happened if Adobe hadn't' abandoned the mac.

Adobe produces crap of low quality and has for a long time. I'm astounded that people waste their lives dealing with it.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:48 PM   #49
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
I never used it but a week ago I got told I have to start learning FC7, FCP, and Avid since for some unknown reason we use all three at work and I'll be supporting those guys.

I'll definitely have an unbiased opinion :P
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:50 PM   #50
econgeek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I agree. It's a quick re-wrap with ClipWrap, but that's another purchase I don't believe we need to do. Once it's re-wrapped, the workflow is good, but it does irk me that i can't just drop files in...
You just import it from the camera. You shouldn't' be dealign with MTS files anyway. IF you want to do it that way, then that's your choice, but you're choosing to not use the AVCHD designed workflow. IT was designed to be a directory structure, not individual files.

Quote:
Exactly. The lack of multi-cam support and server support are serious issues for movie/editing studio's.
FCPX has had multi-cam support from the VERY FIRST RELEASE. The people complaining about this expose their ignorance when they do so.

In fact, bringing up that claim proves someone is not actually a professional and doesn't even understand how editing or editors work. But it was an early "fault" mentioned by some that the Apple bashers have latched onto.

(Apple added an enhancement to multi-cam later on, which was the feature that the pros were wanting- the better multi-cam, but the claim that there was no multi cam is simply wrong, and only something someone who knows nothing about editing, or never bothered to use FCP X, would make.)

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion