Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
After six unsatisfactory iPads, I decided to wait a bit and go for lucky number seven; only it wasn't so lucky. It has about an inch and a half worth of light leaking at the top, which is staring right at me when the iPad is on my desk in front of me. It also has a weird screen, with pink/green/yellow tinting in random locations. A bit of a different issue than my other iPads.

I've had multiple build weeks and it really doesn't matter what you get. There's no such thing as a perfect new iPad. All of my other Apple products, and I've owned a ton, have been perfect except for this. I'm afraid it looks like we're all going to have to settle for something not so stellar, or save our money this time around. I've had a couple without the light leaking but for a 'resolutionary' screen, they've all had some type of issue. It's disappointing. :(

Attachments

• EF723178-B24E-4D00-8753-1602F9390302.jpg
    EF723178-B24E-4D00-8753-1602F9390302.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 453
  • D15A630B-A9E8-44D1-8F1F-D41A3B61A51E.jpg
    D15A630B-A9E8-44D1-8F1F-D41A3B61A51E.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 401

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Just curious: why don't you just see if any issues arise in natural use rather than go through all these tests to try and find issues?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I have a week 14 as well and mines dont have those issues. Well, a lil backlight issue but I'll deal with it.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I seriously don't believe you guys have the patience to try and return 7 or 10 or however many ones you don't like. I'd have given up after 2 or 3 or lived with it - there are too many interesting things to do in life than to spend it swapping out devices. But that's just me.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
After six unsatisfactory iPads, I decided to wait a bit and go for lucky number seven; only it wasn't so lucky. It has about an inch and a half worth of light leaking at the top, which is staring right at me when the iPad is on my desk in front of me. It also has a weird screen, with pink/green/yellow tinting in random locations. A bit of a different issue than my other iPads.

I've had multiple build weeks and it really doesn't matter what you get. There's no such thing as a perfect new iPad. All of my other Apple products, and I've owned a ton, have been perfect except for this. I'm afraid it looks like we're all going to have to settle for something not so stellar, or save our money this time around. I've had a couple without the light leaking but for a 'resolutionary' screen, they've all had some type of issue. It's disappointing. :(

Thanks for confirming I got a perfect one. Woot!

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Just curious: why don't you just see if any issues arise in natural use rather than go through all these tests to try and find issues?

They're very obvious in regular use, and I usually keep brightness at 30-50%. I'm trying to enjoy the product for what it is but it's hard with such distracting screen issues.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Mine is not perfect but then again I am not a perfectionist to begin with and am more tolerant to display variances. I am lucky to not have encountered back light leakage as that may have been an issue for me as well.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I just started using it and realized how yellow the screen is. It's distracting. It also isn't sharp for some reason. Everything looks a bit blurry.

I'd settle for DECENT at this point, but I can't even find that.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I just started using it and realized how yellow the screen is. It's distracting. It also isn't sharp for some reason. Everything looks a bit blurry.

I'd settle for DECENT at this point, but I can't even find that.

I notice if I set brightness under 30% then the yellow becomes more apparent.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Fixed: Mine's perfect or Mine is perfect.

Fixed: "...mine doesn't have..."

Mines = bombs that blow up when you step on them

LOL, A+

I notice if I set brightness under 30% then the yellow becomes more apparent.

Yeah, it is more yellow than the others I've had but what's worse is it's not as sharp for some reason. That's concerning me even more.

Jamie017

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Mine is flawless, a week 1 build. Since it is week 1, the workers probably weren't overworked and tired, so they put more effort into mine.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
They're very obvious in regular use, and I usually keep brightness at 30-50%. I'm trying to enjoy the product for what it is but it's hard with such distracting screen issues.

You need to see a psychiatrist. It is an iPad. Do you have similar issues with other things you buy?

Hoggles

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Portlandia
What th hell? 7th iPad3? I'm sure you're a nice person, but.... Ummmm....the problem ain't the iPad3, unless you have the worst luck in th history of the world.

This is a joke.

You are in the extreme minority, if by some chance you got 6 defective devices in a row....please.

My first and only iPad3 is perfect....as is the vast majority of the millions out there.

The sky ain't falling

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
Does anyone really care to keep seeing posts about people returning over and over again can we just lump them all in 1 thread. Honestly nobody really cares about anyone else's iPad but their own.

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
On my second iPad (I dented the first one, doh!), both have been fine, no leakage, no weird multi coulor tints, no dead pixels and no ridiculous over heating claims.

I am amazed how many people have had 5+ iPads and keep having issues, I have never had an iPad or iPhone issue and had them all on launch day. Only thing I ever had an issue with was a MacBook Air which was sorted quickly.

Just Switched

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Third iPad was the charm for me. First 2 were defective. Wifi issues, screen issues, over heated. Day one iPad was jacked from the get go. My wife eventually sold her transformer prime to get an iPad which was also defective.
Screen was yellow as hell but more of an all over thing not spotty like the one pictured in this thread and her volume button didn't work and felt jiggly. Her second iPad fortunately is flawless. I know these things are a great sellers but these quality issues have me worried about apple's quality control. The customer shouldn't have to go through 5 iPads to get 2 good ones. Co worker has a light leak issue just like the one in the picture but he doesn't seam to care. Image is noticeably not as sharp as it is mine or my wife's which now both run flawlessly as far as I can tell. I've been telling people to just keep returning them until they get a good one. While rather unlikely, I personally find your story rahter believable and not that unlikely since I've been through several myself and have seen other's with defective units, mostly returned for ones that were good and again the guy that didn't seem to care he has an obviously defective unit. All I can say is keep buying until you get a good one. I can vouch that they do exist since we have 2 awesome perfectly working iPads in our house after all the exchanges.

----------

On my second iPad (I dented the first one, doh!), both have been fine, no leakage, no weird multi coulor tints, no dead pixels and no ridiculous over heating claims.

I am amazed how many people have had 5+ iPads and keep having issues, I have never had an iPad or iPhone issue and had them all on launch day. Only thing I ever had an issue with was a MacBook Air which was sorted quickly.

Obviously, I can't say if someone else's claim is ridiculous or not. What I can say from my own personal experience, is that I had 2 iPads that would become uncomfortably hot after less than 30 minutes of use. Now I can keep HBO GO on for hours at at time and not notice much heat coming of the iPad. I didn't measure the temp difference but my 7 year old yelled ouch when he picked it up and didn't want to use it. Now it's great. No issues what so ever. He plays on it for hours with out complaints.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Ha, great post.

In other words: buy one and relax.

I think Apple has a problem now. What other companies get this kind of return mania? I'm sure there's
a few.

I'm curious.

note: Oh I know, Apple doesn't need to worry. But this is unfortunate.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
i'm afraid it looks like we're all going to have to settle for something not so stellar, or save our money this time around.

We? Our?

Don't try and lump everyone else in your self made OCD purgatory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.