Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Nikos
macrumors 65816

Decided to try again (iPad #7) - Week 14 build.

After six unsatisfactory iPads, I decided to wait a bit and go for lucky number seven; only it wasn't so lucky. It has about an inch and a half worth of light leaking at the top, which is staring right at me when the iPad is on my desk in front of me. It also has a weird screen, with pink/green/yellow tinting in random locations. A bit of a different issue than my other iPads.

I've had multiple build weeks and it really doesn't matter what you get. There's no such thing as a perfect new iPad. All of my other Apple products, and I've owned a ton, have been perfect except for this. I'm afraid it looks like we're all going to have to settle for something not so stellar, or save our money this time around. I've had a couple without the light leaking but for a 'resolutionary' screen, they've all had some type of issue. It's disappointing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF723178-B24E-4D00-8753-1602F9390302.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	335212   Click image for larger version

Name:	D15A630B-A9E8-44D1-8F1F-D41A3B61A51E.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	335213  
Nikos is offline   -74 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
richpjr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
There's no such thing as a perfect new iPad.
Mines perfect.
richpjr is online now   15 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502

Time to just man up and live with it.
Eddie Bombay is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Just curious: why don't you just see if any issues arise in natural use rather than go through all these tests to try and find issues?
DeathChill is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:32 PM   #5
nfl46
macrumors 601

I have a week 14 as well and mines dont have those issues. Well, a lil backlight issue but I'll deal with it.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:42 PM   #6
richpjr
macrumors 68000

I seriously don't believe you guys have the patience to try and return 7 or 10 or however many ones you don't like. I'd have given up after 2 or 3 or lived with it - there are too many interesting things to do in life than to spend it swapping out devices. But that's just me.
richpjr is online now   27 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:43 PM   #7
mobilehavoc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
After six unsatisfactory iPads, I decided to wait a bit and go for lucky number seven; only it wasn't so lucky. It has about an inch and a half worth of light leaking at the top, which is staring right at me when the iPad is on my desk in front of me. It also has a weird screen, with pink/green/yellow tinting in random locations. A bit of a different issue than my other iPads.

I've had multiple build weeks and it really doesn't matter what you get. There's no such thing as a perfect new iPad. All of my other Apple products, and I've owned a ton, have been perfect except for this. I'm afraid it looks like we're all going to have to settle for something not so stellar, or save our money this time around. I've had a couple without the light leaking but for a 'resolutionary' screen, they've all had some type of issue. It's disappointing.
Thanks for confirming I got a perfect one. Woot!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Nikos
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
Just curious: why don't you just see if any issues arise in natural use rather than go through all these tests to try and find issues?
They're very obvious in regular use, and I usually keep brightness at 30-50%. I'm trying to enjoy the product for what it is but it's hard with such distracting screen issues.
Nikos is offline   -21 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:48 PM   #9
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

Mine is not perfect but then again I am not a perfectionist to begin with and am more tolerant to display variances. I am lucky to not have encountered back light leakage as that may have been an issue for me as well.
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:14 PM   #10
iapplelove
Banned

My new iPad might not be "perfect" but it's perfect to me. And I really haven't put it down
iapplelove is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:21 PM   #11
Nikos
macrumors 65816

I just started using it and realized how yellow the screen is. It's distracting. It also isn't sharp for some reason. Everything looks a bit blurry.

I'd settle for DECENT at this point, but I can't even find that.
Nikos is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:25 PM   #12
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
Mines perfect.
Fixed: Mine's perfect or Mine is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
I have a week 14 as well and mines dont have those issues. Well, a lil backlight issue but I'll deal with it.
Fixed: "...mine doesn't have..."

Mines = bombs that blow up when you step on them
pure3d2 is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:27 PM   #13
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I just started using it and realized how yellow the screen is. It's distracting. It also isn't sharp for some reason. Everything looks a bit blurry.

I'd settle for DECENT at this point, but I can't even find that.
I notice if I set brightness under 30% then the yellow becomes more apparent.
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Nikos
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure3d2 View Post
Fixed: Mine's perfect or Mine is perfect.

Fixed: "...mine doesn't have..."

LOL, A+

Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
I notice if I set brightness under 30% then the yellow becomes more apparent.
Yeah, it is more yellow than the others I've had but what's worse is it's not as sharp for some reason. That's concerning me even more.
Nikos is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:53 PM   #15
Jamie017
macrumors newbie

Mine is flawless, a week 1 build. Since it is week 1, the workers probably weren't overworked and tired, so they put more effort into mine.
Jamie017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:58 PM   #16
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
They're very obvious in regular use, and I usually keep brightness at 30-50%. I'm trying to enjoy the product for what it is but it's hard with such distracting screen issues.
You need to see a psychiatrist. It is an iPad. Do you have similar issues with other things you buy?
Blorzoga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:03 AM   #17
MR1324
macrumors 6502

mine is perfect. i got it day 1. looking forward to your #8 thread
MR1324 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:43 AM   #18
Hoggles
macrumors regular

What th hell? 7th iPad3? I'm sure you're a nice person, but.... Ummmm....the problem ain't the iPad3, unless you have the worst luck in th history of the world.

This is a joke.

You are in the extreme minority, if by some chance you got 6 defective devices in a row....please.

My first and only iPad3 is perfect....as is the vast majority of the millions out there.

The sky ain't falling
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:44 AM   #19
johnparjr
macrumors 6502

Does anyone really care to keep seeing posts about people returning over and over again can we just lump them all in 1 thread. Honestly nobody really cares about anyone else's iPad but their own.
johnparjr is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:52 AM   #20
Mrrikki
macrumors regular

On my second iPad (I dented the first one, doh!), both have been fine, no leakage, no weird multi coulor tints, no dead pixels and no ridiculous over heating claims.

I am amazed how many people have had 5+ iPads and keep having issues, I have never had an iPad or iPhone issue and had them all on launch day. Only thing I ever had an issue with was a MacBook Air which was sorted quickly.
Mrrikki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:38 AM   #21
Just Switched
macrumors member

Third iPad was the charm for me. First 2 were defective. Wifi issues, screen issues, over heated. Day one iPad was jacked from the get go. My wife eventually sold her transformer prime to get an iPad which was also defective.
Screen was yellow as hell but more of an all over thing not spotty like the one pictured in this thread and her volume button didn't work and felt jiggly. Her second iPad fortunately is flawless. I know these things are a great sellers but these quality issues have me worried about apple's quality control. The customer shouldn't have to go through 5 iPads to get 2 good ones. Co worker has a light leak issue just like the one in the picture but he doesn't seam to care. Image is noticeably not as sharp as it is mine or my wife's which now both run flawlessly as far as I can tell. I've been telling people to just keep returning them until they get a good one. While rather unlikely, I personally find your story rahter believable and not that unlikely since I've been through several myself and have seen other's with defective units, mostly returned for ones that were good and again the guy that didn't seem to care he has an obviously defective unit. All I can say is keep buying until you get a good one. I can vouch that they do exist since we have 2 awesome perfectly working iPads in our house after all the exchanges.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrikki View Post
On my second iPad (I dented the first one, doh!), both have been fine, no leakage, no weird multi coulor tints, no dead pixels and no ridiculous over heating claims.

I am amazed how many people have had 5+ iPads and keep having issues, I have never had an iPad or iPhone issue and had them all on launch day. Only thing I ever had an issue with was a MacBook Air which was sorted quickly.
Obviously, I can't say if someone else's claim is ridiculous or not. What I can say from my own personal experience, is that I had 2 iPads that would become uncomfortably hot after less than 30 minutes of use. Now I can keep HBO GO on for hours at at time and not notice much heat coming of the iPad. I didn't measure the temp difference but my 7 year old yelled ouch when he picked it up and didn't want to use it. Now it's great. No issues what so ever. He plays on it for hours with out complaints.
Just Switched is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:31 AM   #22
ewo1992
macrumors regular

Oh wow that sucks.... But there is such a thing as a perfect new iPad
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:41 AM   #23
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Ha, great post.

In other words: buy one and relax.

I think Apple has a problem now. What other companies get this kind of return mania? I'm sure there's
a few.

I'm curious.

note: Oh I know, Apple doesn't need to worry. But this is unfortunate.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:01 AM   #24
TC25
Banned

Quote:
i'm afraid it looks like we're all going to have to settle for something not so stellar, or save our money this time around.
We? Our?

Don't try and lump everyone else in your self made OCD purgatory.
TC25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:08 AM   #25
Sonisk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure3d2 View Post
But, I thought Minecraft was all about digging holes into earth, making mines and stuff
Sonisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad