Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
All,

Yes, I received a ton of responses to my posting from C-Net concerning the idea of Apple dumping the ipod touch. Thanks to all of you who contributed to that posting and had a very intelligent debate! Kudos!

Well, I found another really good article about the possibility of the ipod touch being updated this year!

http://gizmodo.com/5900590/ipod-touch-may-finally-be-getting-the-refresh-it-deserves

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one!!!

jedisaga

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
Thank you for this post. I saw this article on 9to5Mac and for the first time believe there is going to be an update this Fall. Finally!

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
Thank you for this post. I saw this article on 9to5Mac and for the first time believe there is going to be an update this Fall. Finally!

Yeah, I definitely feel Apple won't let us down this time and will give us a significant update to the ipod touch. I'm already considering where to sell my current model :)

jedisaga

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yeah, I definitely feel Apple won't let us down this time and will give us a significant update to the ipod touch. I'm already considering where to sell my current model :)

jedisaga
That's what the iPod Classic fans said too... keep hope alive! :D

A more reliable indicator is Apple having a free iPod w/Macbook promotional they run every year... except the year that there was no iPod Touch refresh.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
That's what the iPod Classic fans said too... keep hope alive! :D

A more reliable indicator is Apple having a free iPod w/Macbook promotional they run every year... except the year that there was no iPod Touch refresh.

Very true and I'm sure we'll be getting even more rumors filtering in soon.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The rumors say that there's a plan for the new iPod Touch, and it's called iPod Touch 5.1 (Not the device) so one can think it's gonna be designed to run the iOS 5.1 way better than the previous model.
It's actually "iPod 5,1" and not "iPod 5.1". It might be a minor distinction, but it's how Apple identifies internal model numbers. The internal model number has nothing to do with what version of iOS was current when it was designed.

For all we know, iOS 6 might be out when these iPods are released. And it will run newer versions of iOS better just by having a better processor and such.

I have a 3rd generation iPod Touch and I don't see all the issues others are having with iOS 5. Maybe it's some app they're running?

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I have a Gen2 and am running 5.1. I only use the music player and Numbers (which synchs to iCloud) and it is laggy as h311. I've deleted almost everything else off to cut down on interference, but to no avail.

Siq®

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Thank you for explaining. Actually, it was my mistake...
I misread this sentence from an article: "The report also cites evidence of an "iPod5,1" reference in iOS 5.1 code..." I read it as it was "iPod 5,1 as reference to the iOS 5.1" but it is actually 5,1 and it was IN iOS 5.1 and not referring to it.

Thank you anyway :)

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
I would like to see it updated but honestly don't have any idea what would make me upgrade. I have an iPhone 4s and a 32gb 3rd gen iPod touch running iOS 4 something. The only thing bugging me a little about the iPod is the battery is starting to show its age.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.