Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I have a 2011 27'' imac paperwait on my desk (bad GPU, flaky power supply). I would be very careful if I were you. Personnaly I like windows 7 better, I just get things done faster because I do not know the Mac shortcuts.
Also I have issues going on/off VPN with OS/X, whereas it was pretty automatic on Windows. Where the MAC shines (when it works) is recognizing USB devices and the build-in apps (photo and garageband).
Next time, I will buy a $500 Dell and a $2000 Gibson, 20 years later you can still enjoy it. Good luck.

I have 5-27" 2011 iMacs here at the office and never had a problem with any of them. Have you tried taking it in for warranty work? Then you wouldn't have to spend $500 on a dell and you can still buy that Gibson!

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Does anyone know (or recall from an article) what the sales breakdown is? Like MacBook Air vs MBP vs Mac Pro?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Stop with the silly car analogies. They simply do not work. You can find more powerful HP computer (compared to Apple) in every computer category. Who is the Benz now?

I think he was referring more to the fact that both Mercedes-Benz cars and Macs are pretty much "luxury" products and they won't appeal to people with a limited budget who simply want to get the job done, for example just go from point A to point B with a car. Both offering products that are all more expensive that what the average consumer is willing to pay for said product, of course both companies target a limited demographic and probably can't be #1 in sales, yet it doesn't mean their products are inferior.

A lot of things makes driving a Benz more enjoyable than a Honda. Performance is one of them, but it's far from being just that. The same can be said for a Mac versus a HP computer, so I think you're missing the point if you're only comparing computers (or cars) by their theoretical performance. I don't want to get into yet another PC vs Mac debate, but let's just say that HP computers (even the ones with specs as good/better than most Macs) don't offer the same overall experience and user satisfaction as a Mac.

I personally think the analogy with cars is valid. You can find cars that have better driving performance than a Benz without costing more, but making a good product is more than just that. The analogy isn't about performance specifically, but more about the market segment the products are targeted at and the level of overall product quality or luxury that they offer.

Sgt. ButtKiss

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Expect a significant surge in boosted sales after Q2 MB, MBP, and iMac updates. AAPL market share has nowhere to go but up.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
i've got the HP Envy 14.. i'm really considering getting a 15 inch macbook pro? or should i wait for the 15 inch macbook air?

Which mac should i buy?:confused:, i wouldn't buy one until like this fall or something, though.

Btw... a question to the mac users.. i've never used a Mac OS before and it looks hard to learn just by looking at it. Do you guys think it's easy to learn? i know iOS is.

It took me about a week to fully understand the Mac. I used Windows my whole life so it took some adjusting. I'm never going back.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro and I'm very happy with it. The MacBook Air is impressive but I can't imagine having less than 500 GB of space. I hope this helps a little.

Sgt. ButtKiss

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
i've got the HP Envy 14.. i'm really considering getting a 15 inch macbook pro? or should i wait for the 15 inch macbook air?

Which mac should i buy?:confused:, i wouldn't buy one until like this fall or something, though.

It is too early to tell if you are not buying until Fall. Especially considering all the updates and refreshes that are due this year (especially Q2.) I would say wait until late summer to decide. Technology evolves fast, almost as fast as personal preferences.

Btw... a question to the mac users.. i've never used a Mac OS before and it looks hard to learn just by looking at it. Do you guys think it's easy to learn? i know iOS is.

I used a Mac as a child (We are talking rainbow colored Apple logo) then I switched to a windows platform for compatibility reasons, then about 4-5 years ago I switched back to a Macbook. Interface is intuitive, straightforward, and very easy to learn. I will never go back to Windows, especially since Mac is making such a huge push to universal compatibility. I have no doubt Microsoft will make a comeback, or at least try, but it is definitely, slowly becoming a Mac world.

blackmetal

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Left coast
oh yeah, you bought a nearly $2000.00 computer and it's a paperweight? I guess you didn't consider having such an investment fixed. And you said you get things done faster with the pc because you don't know the mac shortcuts. It's called learning!!!!!!

----------

It's called saving up!

I am going to get it fixed eventually (I have the Applecare for 2 more years).. I am just tired to go back and forth to the applestore carrying the whole thing, and then hit those screen blackouts a day later... bad for your blood pressure.
Personnaly I work with all kind of OS environments, and learning shortcuts is just not a really valuable skill in my trade. I can see the benefit for people who spend all day long in Logic or Final Cut.

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
I am going to get it fixed eventually (I have the Applecare for 2 more years).. I am just tired to go back and forth to the applestore carrying the whole thing, and then hit those screen blackouts a day later... bad for your blood pressure.
Personnaly I work with all kind of OS environments, and learning shortcuts is just not a really valuable skill in my trade. I can see the benefit for people who spend all day long in Logic or Final Cut.

You do know about 90% of the Mac shortcuts are the same as the PC ones except the Mac is "Command" key and Windows is the "control" key. (Command+C = Copy) Learning the shortcut took me less than a few days or weeks for some of the unique Mac only ones. IT is NOT hard. I think you just making excuses! LAME!!

How many times have you been to the Apple store with the iMac? You act like you have done this multiple times with the same results. Hmmmmm sounds fishy to me...

blackmetal

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Left coast
I have 5-27" 2011 iMacs here at the office and never had a problem with any of them. Have you tried taking it in for warranty work? Then you wouldn't have to spend $500 on a dell and you can still buy that Gibson!

I went twice and they changed the graphics card and PSU. They were nice and probably thought they should something about it.
It still does this random screen blackout with everything else still running. I have to induce a sleep and wake it up for the screen to power on. When it goes to sleep, it quits the net and the VPN, so I have to restablished the connection everytime. Usually when it starts doing it, this is every few minutes for hours at end.
This is why out of frustration I am not using it anymore and carry my work laptop instead.
I probably just got a bad unit which I purchased almost the day those TB iMAC were available.

appsforkids

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
US
Update hardware please! I know many people holding off on buying... these long delays between updates is why nobody buys. Who wants to buy a MacPro that is already two years out of date. If only Apple had either a more regular schedule or at least a less clandestine release schedule, I think this wouldn't be as severe.

Totally agree and well said, I'm also a holdout

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
There are too many PC companies, I think. Just like they're are too many tablet makers.

One company might release a laptop. Companies release laptops that are the same with different logos and varying prices but essentially all just ways to run Windows. Unless you're going to release something new to the market why release anything?

That's why Apple is awesome. Their computers actually make a difference. They're saying this is what we've got, take it or leave it. They haven't gone for bloatware or trial software just to try and keep their computers cheap. They put user-experience at the core of their business.

I wonder if they'll be number one one day.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I went twice and they changed the graphics card and PSU. They were nice and probably thought they should something about it.
It still does this random screen blackout with everything else still running. I have to induce a sleep and wake it up for the screen to power on. When it goes to sleep, it quits the net and the VPN, so I have to restablished the connection everytime. Usually when it starts doing it, this is every few minutes for hours at end.
This is why out of frustration I am not using it anymore and carry my work laptop instead.
I probably just got a bad unit which I purchased almost the day those TB iMAC were available.

I think 3rd warranty repair means lemon law replacement. At a minimum you can request it. If you are so dissatisfied you don't want your iMac anymore, at least you can sell your replacement unit and put it toward the guitar :)

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Damn you Apple!

you brought this upon yourself.

Every single one of the Personal Computers you are currently selling, is in great need of an update.

No new CPUs from intel is not an excuse, upgrade the other components or a price drop.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
HP is the Honda civic while Apple is the Benz. They both get the job done but its much cooler doing it on an Apple. :cool:

BTW Dell > HP IMO

Uh ? Last I checked, HP offered IPS screens on their Elitebook line-up. Where is Apple's IPS screens ? HP has some fine machines. If anything, anyone saying otherwise and making ridiculous analogies saying Apple is some kind of luxury product are just ignorant of what is out there, product wise.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Damn you Apple!

you brought this upon yourself.

Every single one of the Personal Computers you are currently selling, is in great need of an update.

No new CPUs from intel is not an excuse, upgrade the other components or a price drop.

I'm sure Apple knows how to better sell their products than you.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
how did apple grow lower than hp?

HP had a big drop over the mis-step by the CEO about saying that they would sell the PC division. Some of the figures reflect restored sales after the CEO got booted and that rumour was killed.

AAPL market share has nowhere to go but up.

Sir Newton would disagree - Apple's sales have been up and down before, and will be again.

Wiesi24

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
After three rounds of Macbook Pros, I'm switching back to Thinkpads. Lion is worse for me than SL (dual monitor bogus with full screen apps), and my 2011 MBP 13" i7, 256SSD (already replaced "three" times) started exhibiting new problems today (display errors, looks like 8bit)
No manufacturer is without problems, and my Macs have been far less reliable than my former Thinkpads, so I guess I give Lenovo a try.

nokuchikushi

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
I have a 2011 27'' imac paperwait on my desk (bad GPU, flaky power supply). I would be very careful if I were you. Personnaly I like windows 7 better, I just get things done faster because I do not know the Mac shortcuts.

Probably if you were using your Mac you would know that the word is "paperweight". OS X is an excellent speller.

I have a 2011 27" iMac with Mountain Lion for my daily machine. I also have a Mini with OS X Lion and two other Minis with Win 7 and 8. I'll take OS X over Windows any day, especially that horrible thing they call Windows 8. It is hideous, awful, and just plain stupid. I've had some HPs and Compaqs but without much luck. They were not well made - but much better than Gateway. All our Dells have lasted a long time but there's always something wrong with them that cannot be fixed - fans, power supplies, burners. You can bring them to be fixed but the repairs never last and we've been left with crippled machines. We use them at work so we're talking dozens. Terrible experience. Obviously I've had great luck with Mac hardware (since I currently have four at home, three in the office) so I would urge anyone to get a Mac instead. One call to any of the company's customer service line should be enough to convince anyone.

If your new Mac is defective, there is such a thing as a warranty. Every product is defective now and then. There is a toll-free number. Why suffer?

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
gartner_1Q12_us.png

Can someone explain how Toshiba can have higher marketshare in Q1-12 than Acer?
One might get the impression that the table have figures entered by hand, and not a hand that's any good at math. Can anyone give them the tip that they are using computers, and that they are pretty cood at.. computing?
The total marketshare of Q1-12 is 101.1% too.. Nice!

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Keep in mind....

There is a good reason that HP and Dell are at the top two spots, and it is not just that Windows is the most widely used OS. HP and Dell constitute the overwhelming majority of computers used for corporate and government IT (and general computer hardware) contracts. I know a little bit about this - I am a systems admin for the US Marine Corps (defense contractor) and all I ever see used is HP and Dell. Companies like General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, etc...all use these brands as their dominant vehicle for delivery of various networking and software contracts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.