Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:02 PM   #1
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

I got my iPad 3 for $359 and I did not know it.

I got a cool story that will make any body jealous. I wanted a iPad 2 for the microcenter advertised price of $359 but they (store not important) price matched the wrong model. Did not know until I actually got home and opened the box and checked the model number 3 times. No way I'm going back to the store to complain. Just got lucky the honest way.
Thanks Apple for making the box look 95% like the iPad 2 box. But on a serious note please triple check model numbers if your buying used off Craigslist.
cdmoore74 is offline   -6
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:04 PM   #2
nfl46
macrumors 601

Congrats!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
I got a cool story that will make any body jealous. I wanted a iPad 2 for the microcenter advertised price of $359 but they (store not important) price matched the wrong model. Did not know until I actually got home and opened the box and checked the model number 3 times. No way I'm going back to the store to complain. Just got lucky the honest way.
Thanks Apple for making the box look 95% like the iPad 2 box. But on a serious note please triple check model numbers if your buying used off Craigslist.
I doubt it.
Blorzoga is offline   16
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:12 PM   #4
WRP
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just got lucky the honest way.
Using a sales person mistake to your advantage isn't "honest". But whatever helps you sleep at night.

That said I probably wouldn't return it either.
WRP is offline   27
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

I suppose if a salesperson gave you too much change, that would be the honest way too, hunh?
Blorzoga is offline   9
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:18 PM   #6
William.Mantle
Banned

Quote:
Of course they gave you a new ipad... So many issues with heat, battery and wifi they've got a lot to get through!

Ipad 2 is the real deal
William.Mantle is offline   -37
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:28 PM   #7
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I suppose if a salesperson gave you too much change, that would be the honest way too, hunh?
What would you do? Run back to the store and tell them, Oh, I wanted the iPad 2 not the iPad 3. And this is after I got home. Not during the transaction. Will the store reimburse me for the gas and my time for a mistake the store made?
And yes, I have given back money when people overpaid me at the time of the transaction.
Would you drive back to McDonalds if they added a extra Big Mac and fries without charging you but you did not realize until you got home? Get off your high horse.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.Mantle View Post
Of course they gave you a new ipad... So many issues with heat, battery and wifi they've got a lot to get through!

Ipad 2 is the real deal
And that's why I wanted the iPad 2. Microcenter was too far and the store that was closest to me priced matched what I thought was an iPad 2. I really wanted a iPad 2. LOL
cdmoore74 is offline   15
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:41 PM   #8
zigzagg321
macrumors 6502

I have gotten the wrong Apple product by mistake from Microcenter before.

It didn't work out in my favor though, so I sure as hell went back.
zigzagg321 is offline   8
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:54 PM   #9
oneflipgguy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRP View Post
Using a sales person mistake to your advantage isn't "honest". But whatever helps you sleep at night.

That said I probably wouldn't return it either.
It isn't honest but if he went back to let them know of the mistake, there's a chance the salesperson would get in trouble or even get fired.
oneflipgguy is offline   12
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:58 PM   #10
pcunite
macrumors member

Call and tell them so they don't think it was stolen. They'll let you keep it.
pcunite is offline   1
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What would you do? Run back to the store and tell them, Oh, I wanted the iPad 2 not the iPad 3. And this is after I got home. Not during the transaction. Will the store reimburse me for the gas and my time for a mistake the store made?
And yes, I have given back money when people overpaid me at the time of the transaction.
Would you drive back to McDonalds if they added a extra Big Mac and fries without charging you but you did not realize until you got home? Get off your high horse.

----------

I really want to agree with you. Really. Like all the times i go through the drive thru at wendys or mcdonalds or something and they get my order wrong and i have to drive all the way back when i see the mistake just so they can correct me. Bad service pisses me the hell of. If i ever got an extra burger in the future, i'd probably keep it.

But in this situation, exploiting a mistake made isn't getting something the honest way. I'm a complete hypocrite saying this because if i was in your situation, i'd do the exact same thing. I mean really. If they handed you change back and instead of a $1 bill they gave you $100 by accident, and you kept it, is that getting it the honest way? Just because they handed you the wrong thing and you were allowed to walk out of the store without being called a thief, doesn't make it right. Just know this: If they knew on your way out that you paid that price for an iPad 3, would they have stopped you? Why? Because it's not right.

Again, i would've probably seen it when i got home, been like "score! Good luck for once" and kept it too. But i can recognize that it's not the right thing to do. The right thing to do would be go back to the store, tell them the mistake and have them correct it.

Now i don't know why you're trying to justify it with "well they made the mistake so screw them" but it's not right. Even you should be able to recognize that. I'm not asking you to return it, just saying. At least recognize that it wasn't exactly honest. The "but they're not going to reimburse me for gas money" excuse doesn't work when you should've made sure what you're getting was what you paid for. Just like me getting the wrong order at wendys, i should've checked the bag. I can't bitch because i decided to drive all the way home without checking my stuff.

Anyway, i can see you're going to get some hate. I'm not trying to add onto it, just a reality check. Theres nothing worse than doing something wrong and then justifying it afterwards with "i'm allowed to do this wrong thing because they're stupid"

Anyway, congrats!
Soulweaponry is offline   4
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:04 PM   #12
whynotgotovegas
macrumors member

I walked into the store yesterday and after my $300 oakleys broke. Being as though I just paid off my truck insurance and things like that, I didn't want to spend another couple hundred bucks so I found a really nice set of white glasses that were really nice for $20. After checking out, I realized that the lady didn't scan them and put them in the bag because she thought they were mine to begin with. I got out to my truck and realized the reciept was wrong, and started to walk back in. I stopped, because it's not my fault that the lady in the store didn't know what she was selling. It clearly had a sticker on it that was jutting out from the side...Stevie Wonder could have seen it. Point of the matter is, I wouldn't return it only because it's the employee's fault that they do not know what they are selling. If you are going to work in electronics, you should know the difference between the iPad 2 and the new iPad. Hate if you will, but just giving my thoughts . Enjoy the new iPad!
R.I.P. Steve Jobs...Apple will never be the same...
whynotgotovegas is offline   -14
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:07 PM   #13
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneflipgguy View Post
It isn't honest but if he went back to let them know of the mistake, there's a chance the salesperson would get in trouble or even get fired.
That never crossed my mind. Never thought that a "honest" mistake could get someone in trouble. Guess I can sleep better at night.
cdmoore74 is offline   -4
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Drag'nGT
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.Mantle View Post

Ipad 2 is the real deal
The < 10% of people with complaints and you listen to them like they're the majority. We've already seen polls of users who claim there's no issue.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:13 PM   #15
William.Mantle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag'nGT View Post
The < 10% of people with complaints and you listen to them like they're the majority. We've already seen polls of users who claim there's no issue.
Lets hope you're right
William.Mantle is offline   -4
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:21 PM   #16
ewo1992
macrumors regular

Sweet you got a good deal!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:27 PM   #17
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a

There's no way anyone on here would drive all the way back and give back their own iPad. Haters on here. Enjoy your new iPad! I would have kept it also. And I do agree the sales person would probably get in trouble.

Having said that, technically the honest thing to do is bring it back but your not obligated to do so. It was the sales associates mistake.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:31 PM   #18
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaponry View Post
I really want to agree with you. Really. Like all the times i go through the drive thru at wendys or mcdonalds or something and they get my order wrong and i have to drive all the way back when i see the mistake just so they can correct me. Bad service pisses me the hell of. If i ever got an extra burger in the future, i'd probably keep it.

But in this situation, exploiting a mistake made isn't getting something the honest way. I'm a complete hypocrite saying this because if i was in your situation, i'd do the exact same thing. I mean really. If they handed you change back and instead of a $1 bill they gave you $100 by accident, and you kept it, is that getting it the honest way? Just because they handed you the wrong thing and you were allowed to walk out of the store without being called a thief, doesn't make it right. Just know this: If they knew on your way out that you paid that price for an iPad 3, would they have stopped you? Why? Because it's not right.

Again, i would've probably seen it when i got home, been like "score! Good luck for once" and kept it too. But i can recognize that it's not the right thing to do. The right thing to do would be go back to the store, tell them the mistake and have them correct it.

Now i don't know why you're trying to justify it with "well they made the mistake so screw them" but it's not right. Even you should be able to recognize that. I'm not asking you to return it, just saying. At least recognize that it wasn't exactly honest. The "but they're not going to reimburse me for gas money" excuse doesn't work when you should've made sure what you're getting was what you paid for. Just like me getting the wrong order at wendys, i should've checked the bag. I can't bitch because i decided to drive all the way home without checking my stuff.

Anyway, i can see you're going to get some hate. I'm not trying to add onto it, just a reality check. Theres nothing worse than doing something wrong and then justifying it afterwards with "i'm allowed to do this wrong thing because they're stupid"

Anyway, congrats!
What if I did bring it back to the store and the person that did the price match got fired? I guess I would have done the right thing correct? People make honest mistakes in life. And the reason I did not check the iPad was because I figured the store clerk would pick the right model. There was a white iPad on the box and I figured that hey, white iPad 2 for $359 is a good deal. I'm not going to open up the box in the middle of the store and check for dead pixels. And remember the boxes look the same. Can you tell the difference between a iPad 2 and iPad 3 box at first glance? It's not the stores fault that Apple made the boxes look similar.
cdmoore74 is offline   0
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:37 PM   #19
WRP
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What if I did bring it back to the store and the person that did the price match got fired? I guess I would have done the right thing correct? People make honest mistakes in life. And the reason I did not check the iPad was because I figured the store clerk would pick the right model. There was a white iPad on the box and I figured that hey, white iPad 2 for $359 is a good deal. I'm not going to open up the box in the middle of the store and check for dead pixels. And remember the boxes look the same. Can you tell the difference between a iPad 2 and iPad 3 box at first glance? It's not the stores fault that Apple made the boxes look similar.
It is the stores fault for keeping almost identical stock next to each other though with no discernible difference

And like I said earlier, it isn't the honest thing to do but I would do exactly as you did.
WRP is offline   0
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:38 PM   #20
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Exactly, anyone on here is lying if they were to say they'd march right over and give it back. It's not like you bought a stolen iPad on craiglist and are now keeping it.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:51 PM   #21
johnparjr
macrumors 6502

And this is a classic example of what is wrong with society and principles
johnparjr is offline   9
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:03 PM   #22
Capt T
macrumors 6502a

Interesting it didn't get caught when they scanned it for the sale.
Capt T is offline   6
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:05 PM   #23
ipodlover77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What if I did bring it back to the store and the person that did the price match got fired?.
if i was in your situation. I would keep it 100%. But then again, i know its not right.

Your post sounds like your trying to find justification in keeping it. I mean, lets be real here. Its unethical for sure but alot of people, me included, would keep it.

One thing that bothers me is the fact that your trying to say (or it seems that way) that one of the reasons why you won't return it is because your afraid that the employee will get fired. seems like a really weak reason.

be up front about it. you got the ipad in a harmless yet unethical way. just enjoy the deal!
ipodlover77 is online now   1
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:21 PM   #24
Getitdone
macrumors member

Wrong!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you didn't get lucky the honest way. And don't even try to kid yourself that you are helping to save the job of the sales clerk who made an honest mistake.

But the good news is that you can correct the situation by calling the store and arranging to either return the iPad3 for the iPad 2 or offering to give them your credit card information so that you can pay them the difference in price that you owe them. Or maybe, just maybe, they will tell you to just keep it and eat the cost.

The choice is yours - be honest or not.
Getitdone is offline   5
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:22 PM   #25
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

Enjoy your new iPad, no really the new iPad lol. I sure as hell would not give it back. Imagine if it was the other way around where you paid for an iPad 3 and they mistakenly gave you an iPad 2 instead.
plucky duck is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland