Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I mean mobile terminal showed up but automatically closes as soon as I open it. I tried putting Cydia.app in the same way as you described and it put the Cydia icon on the springboard but the same thing happens- I open it and it immediately closes.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Of course. I forgot that it needs execute permissions, which can't be created over the afc2 protocol. I think we can work around this. Please connect through iFunBox and navigate to /Applications and tell me what Cydia apps (not App Store apps) are installed in that folder.

We are going to use a little trick I learned the other day from iH8sn0w. ;-)

riceguy

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
My Cydia vanished after uninstalling something called safari tweak. I have 5.0.1 also. I'll be trying the above to recover cydia. Thanks

riceguy

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Thanks for the help, I copied mobile terminal and cydia deb files to root and used ifile to install them both. That was all I did.

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Ah, well. Having iFile would make all the difference. Too bad allieverything doesn't have it; it'd make things much easier.

I wish I had iFile lol.

This is what I have (btw, thanks so much for the help. It's the gf's phone and I just want to get it right lol):

Activator
Adsheet
Cydia
DemoApp
FieldTest
SBSettings
TrustMe
Unlimtones
Utilities (I think it's a cydia app? erica?)
BiteSMS
iOS DIagnostics

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Okay, I think we're golden. I need to do a little poking in my own Applications folder to check permissions, but I believe we can use Activator. What I'm going to have you do is overwrite Activator with renamed MobileTerminal files, then rename those files back to their MobileTerminal names. Then you will use Mobile Terminal to install Cydia and reinstall Activator (and anything else you like). But I am at work right now and can't look at it or write up detailed instructions for a couple of hours. I will post again when I get home and have some time. But don't give up hope!

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Okay, here goes. We'll be using UnlimTones instead of Activator because it has the proper directory structure. Please read through all of the instructions several times before you start. It is especially important that you not delete the file UnlimTones in step 2. By the way, I tried this method for installing MobileTerminal on my phone and it worked for me.

1. Download the attached zip file. Unzip to your desktop. You should have a file called UnlimTones.app

2. Using iFunBox, delete everything in the folder /var/stash/UnlimTones.app/ EXCEPT for UnlimTones and de.lproj.

3. Using iFunBox, copy UnlimTones.app from your desktop to /var/stash/

4. Using iFunBox, rename the following files:

/var/stash/UnlimTones.app to Terminal.app.

/var/stash/Terminal.app/UnlimTones to Terminal

5. Respring your phone. You should have Terminal on your desktop. Open it to verify that it works.

6. Use iFunBox to copy cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb from your computer to the root folder / on your iPhone.

7. Open MobileTerminal and login as the root user by typing login root and entering the root password when prompted. The default is password is alpine.

8. Enter the following command exactly: dpkg -i cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb

9. Close MobileTerminal. Respring your iPhone.

10. You should now have Cydia on your springboard!

Let me know how it comes out!

Attachments

• UnlimTones.zip
    258.5 KB · Views: 699

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Okay, here goes. We'll be using UnlimTones instead of Activator because it has the proper directory structure. Please read through all of the instructions several times before you start. It is especially important that you not delete the file UnlimTones in step 2. By the way, I tried this method for installing MobileTerminal on my phone and it worked for me.

1. Download the attached zip file. Unzip to your desktop. You should have a file called UnlimTones.app

2. Using iFunBox, delete everything in the folder /var/stash/UnlimTones.app/ EXCEPT for UnlimTones and de.lproj.

3. Using iFunBox, copy UnlimTones.app from your desktop to /var/stash/

4. Using iFunBox, rename the following files:

/var/stash/UnlimTones.app to Terminal.app.

/var/stash/Terminal.app/UnlimTones to Terminal

5. Respring your phone. You should have Terminal on your desktop. Open it to verify that it works.

6. Use iFunBox to copy cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb from your computer to the root folder / on your iPhone.

7. Open MobileTerminal and login as the root user by typing login root and entering the root password when prompted. The default is password is alpine.

8. Enter the following command exactly: dpkg -i cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb

9. Close MobileTerminal. Respring your iPhone.

10. You should now have Cydia on your springboard!

Let me know how it comes out!

Should I delete UnlimTones_ file as well?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Thanks a million again! Just installed ifile :)

You are very welcome! Just paying forward the help that iH8sn0w gave me. I would suggest reinstalling MobileTerminal, just in case. You can just browse to the google code page in MobileSafari and click the download link. iFile will open it and offer to install it.

allieverything

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Just reinstalled terminal, installed openssh, and afc2 lol. Not doing this again. :) Perhaps someone can sticky this? I searched all over the internet and found nothing that worked until your suggestion. Thanks mate, owe you a million.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Just reinstalled terminal, installed openssh, and afc2 lol. Not doing this again. :) Perhaps someone can sticky this? I searched all over the internet and found nothing that worked until your suggestion. Thanks mate, owe you a million.

Glad to help. By the way, to be thorough you should make sure apt is installed (it should be by default, but you never know). That will allow you to download and install packages right to your phone over SSH using the apt-get install command. Just look under Manage>Packages in Cydia to make sure the following packages are all installed:

APT 0.6 Transitional
APT 0.7 (apt-key)
APT 0.7 HTTPS Method
APT 0.7 Strict
APT 0.7 Strict (lib)

anandvikram

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
same problem but no jailbreak apps

i accidentally lost cydia on my 4s and i have no jailbreak app in app folder.
but i am able to transfer ipa(cracked) to my 4s using funbox. i have some cydia tweaks installed on phone such
as
copic
sirilaunch
useragentfaker
isleepwell
weecloseapps

can i somehow install mobileterminal?

waiting for reply

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Hmm. I am not sure. I've never tried installing MobileTerminal over an App Store app. Give me half an hour and I'll see what I can do.

ETA: Nope, because of the different folder structure of App Store apps it won't work. And sadly MobileSubstrate add-ons are stored in a different folder. Are you sure that you're checking the right Applications folder, though? You want the one in /var/stash/ not the one in var/mobile.

Last edited:

anandvikram

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
thanks for replying mate . i think i am looking in the right folder

i am attaching the screenshot

one more thing can i use CLI TOOL to rejailbreak (send only cydia in payload folder)

Attachments

• attach.jpg
    attach.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
You do, in fact, have a Cydia app in that folder: Installous. I'll spare you the lecture for now and say only that I think we can use Installous to install MobileTerminal. I am away from my computer right now and will be all day, but if you'll be patient I'll try to look at it later. Meanwhile, could you post the contents of Installous.app? A screenshot from iFunbox like the one above would do nicely.

ETA: you don't happen to have SSH installed, do you? If you do, you should be able to just connect via SSH and enter the following commands:

Code:
login root [enter password when prompted]
apt-get update
apt-get install Cydia

Last edited:

anandvikram

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
no i dont have ssh installed

the folder Installous has only plist file and cydia has some section folder only which contains png files.

can the left cydia tweaks help me?

Last edited:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Oh. Well, I think we can do something with one of the native apps -- I'm going to recommend Nike. We'll make a backup of it to your computer, and hopefully will be able to restore it when we're done. This is going to take some time to work out, and I have to go to work now. Not sure when I'll be back or if I'll even be able to do it tonight. But be patient; I will hook you up eventually.

anandvikram

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
i am fully dependent on you to help me bail out . take your time . big thanks for the concern shown .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.