Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrtolkien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Hey everyone,

iPhone 4, latest OS running for a few months now. All was perfect.

Last three weeks or so, phone would no longer play audio when text messages were coming in but would when phone calls came in. Checked settings, all looked good. Did a reboot, fixed the problem but only temporarily. Each time it came back after a few days and I would have to reboot to solve.

Today got tiered so I check on Apple support site for permanent solution. They suggested to do a reset by pushing both home and power button. I did just that and when the silver Apple logo came on, by accident I think I let go but pushed one of the buttons again. Phone shut down and has not come back to life since.

I've tried pretty much everything. Plug into wall charger, nothing. Plug in to USB with iTunes, nothing. Called Apple care, they did not have a solution but had me try to do a recovery mode within iTunes, brought it into Apple store for Genius to look at it, and was offered to purchase a new iPhone 4 (not 4S) for $169.

I know it's a long shot but would anyone have any ideas? I would hate to have to chuck it.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Take care!

Mrtolkien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Try to do a DFU mode restore (see my sig). If you can't get that to work, you probably have a hardware failure (I assume that's why Apple offered to sell one to you).

Yeah, we tried to do the DFU without luck. But I have to say, how could a perfectly good working phone go south just because someone pushed the wrong buttons? I mean... really?

Oh well, thanks for your post. If nothing else comes of this I'll have no choice but might have to think twice before going iPhone again. I hate to say it but I'm just that upset right now that I may not get another one.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Yeah, we tried to do the DFU without luck. But I have to say, how could a perfectly good working phone go south just because someone pushed the wrong buttons? I mean... really?

Oh well, thanks for your post. If nothing else comes of this I'll have no choice but might have to think twice before going iPhone again. I hate to say it but I'm just that upset right now that I may not get another one.

It has nothing to do with how you pushed the buttons.

When you plug it in to charge, you don't even get the charge symbol showing it is charging.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I get nothing, no sign of life at all. LOL

Sounds like your battery went bad. What did Apple say? IF it is the battery, that's $99 to replace. Charging you $169, when it only costs $199 (last time I checked) for an out of warranty replacement sounds odd.

Just to ask, but you didn't get any water damage, did you?

Mrtolkien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Sounds like your battery went bad. What did Apple say? IF it is the battery, that's $99 to replace. Charging you $169, when it only costs $199 (last time I checked) for an out of warranty replacement sounds odd.

Just to ask, but you didn't get any water damage, did you?

No water damage. And battery was fine right up until the reset. Had zero problems with the phone other than the lack of audio when text messages came in.

I'm still sure that when I started the reset then accidently hit the buttons again, it went into double reset or something. It has to be software, not hardware. Just bad luck.

Mrtolkien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
It's not software. Sounds like something shorted out.
It can happen to any electronic device.
Up to you if you want to use another iPhone or not but it can happen to any cellphone.

I've spent 20 years in IT support, I know fully well how things go. I'm more just venting at this point that it happened to ME....LOL you know, someone else fine but ME? LOL

Anyways, it just sucks. But, I don't even pay for it so I'll just order a new 4S tomorrow and have it shipped to my office. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.