Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
Does Apple suggest that you not put answers to your security questions that can be looked up from public sources -- like a Facebook account?

Do users realize that the best strategy is to give non-sequitur responses to this kind of question: The first school you attended was: tangerine trees

Wow, as in "non-sequitur", maybe ?

Sorry, didn't read his entire post. :|

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Does Apple suggest that you not put answers to your security questions that can be looked up from public sources -- like a Facebook account? :rolleyes:

Do users realize that the best strategy is to give non-sequitur responses to this kind of question: The first school you attended was: tangerine trees.

I dropped out.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
What Apple really needs to do is enable multi-factor (or two-factor, 2nd stage) authentication. Google, Facebook and LastPass all use it now and I'm sure there are many other sites that do as well. With multi-factor authentication, even if someone knows your password, they can't get into your account unless they also have your mobile device that is setup as the authenticator.

I also recommend using LastPass, that way you can create complex passwords without having to worry about forgetting them. I also pay for premium access so I can use the iPhone app they have out.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
The most insecure thing about your Apple ID is Apple.

You could have the most obscure questions and answers in the world. It won't stop Fast Lane support from gleefully adding any "secondary e-mail account" to any .Mac/MobileMe/iCloud account you ask them to.

And no amount of begging will make them stop adding bogus e-mail addresses to your account, which will magically allow a password reset.

At least... that's how it was for me a couple of months ago, when I contacted Apple support while someone was actively trying to break in to my account.

Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Go through the Fast Lane support, tell them that someone hacked your account, and you want to reclaim it. Offer up a bogus secondary e-mail address, and voila!

It's a brilliant way to stalk people who have "Locate my iPhone / iPad" enabled, when you're done reading their mail.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Why Apple doesn't just implement 2-factor for deeper security remains puzzling to me. I've already started moving more critical information over to GMail because I know that its 2-factor implementation won't be overcome by a simple brute force check (which Apple doesn't even warn you about - it just locks your account and provides you NO information about the source of the attack or anything else).

RHA

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
Chicagoland
Will not accept answers

So -- even with my going through the process of remembering answers to all these questions I get the most annoying response. "Get connect to the App Store." What? Have tried on two devices. This is getting ridiculous. Anyone else get this response?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Apple sends you an email to your "Alternate email address" after completing these security questions, right? I just want to make sure before I stick my login info after clicking the link.

Mcclure

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
So I was in the middle of making dinner and was downloading an app for my daughter, so when it asked to set up the security questions I hit cancel. Now I can't download anything, and haven't been able to find a way to get it to ask me to answer the questions again. I've tried buying apps on a different iPad and my iPhone. Anyone know of a way to get it to restart the process?

Edit: After about an hour it reset and allowed me to answer questions again.

Last edited:

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Classist, Ethnocentrist, Ageist

While I'll refrain from the whole debate about whether security questions in general "enhance" security, they certainly don't if they are such that people have to stretch to even answer them initially.

These questions are limited, classist, and ethnocentrist, and let's throw in ageist as well: meaning middle-class, middle-age American. First grade teachers, car ownership, remembering a first album or a first concert? Can you imagine someone in, well just about anywhere, answering those questions?

I am middle-class, middle-aged American, and still stretch to remember any of the "first" questions. What would be my first job? One of several crap jobs when I was like 14? Or a first "real" job after college? My first teacher? You mean preschool? Who knows. Where I first kissed? Well, you mean some preteen thing or like tongue? Even a city would be hard to pin down let alone a playground. We travelled. I was slutty. My favorite childhood friend? Well they were all schmucks and I liked them equally. Where did my mother and father meet? Neither ever friggin' told me and I didn't care, since they were only together until I was 5.

Where were you on Jan 1, 2000? Well, a bit embarrassed not to really remember that. 12 years ago. Which means if you're in your 20s you don't remember because you were a kid, if you're over 50 you may not remember because your mind is not cooperating again.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
These questions are limited, classist, and ethnocentrist, and let's throw in ageist as well: meaning middle-class, middle-age American. First grade teachers, car ownership, remembering a first album or a first concert? Can you imagine someone in, well just about anywhere, answering those questions?
I'm trying to figure out how these can possibly be any of those things you mentioned. Is there some huge ethnic group that doesn't ever go to school, have friends, drive cars, or have entertainment?

Bizarre.

(ok, I'll give you "limited", they always are)

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Is there some huge ethnic group that doesn't ever go to school, have friends, drive cars, or have entertainment?

The majority of people in the world do not own their own cars. Going to "a concert" or "owning an album" (as opposed to generically "having entertainment") is something quite culturally specific (Euro-American–or at least "Western" and mostly white). Or at least historically that's been true in the last half century. Grades are mostly American. The British system for example has stages, forms, and levels. I could go on if you need me to.

jpenguin

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
This is really anoying; I hate the questions! Why cant they do like FB and Google, Make me enter a phone # and send me a text to confirm my ID?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Though I'd escaped this one, but just got the screen on my iPad with all the new security q and a's. It's a good thing I guess, and I scribbled my answers down...How do I know where I was first kissed...I'm nearly 56!:)

repete7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
I wouldn't care about this if I could make up my own questions. The old iTunes security questions were like that. People who barely know me could guess the answers to the new questions Apple came up with. I came up with bogus answers, but I'm never going to remember them, so I had to write them down. Big improvement in security.

noodlehead

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
ridiculous questions

This is especially irritating because I am going to have to write down the fake answers to 2 of the questions. "Least favorite car you ever owned"? Really? "Where did your parents meet?" Beats me.
These questions really bite the big one. And I don't want a pop-up asking for my password whenever I open iTunes either. I don't generally go to the store. Ask me for a password if I click Store. My God, what nonsense. Seems each iTunes update makes the app worse.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i have read the thread (and other blogs etc.). obviously we have a problem on our hands.

questions keep popping up and i don't know the answer to them. and there is no obvious way how to reset the questions...

is there a way how inform apple that they need to rethink this? like an online petition or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.