Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I have quite a lot of apps that haven't evolved to add more functionality and advance a lot over the years, actually this is the majority of the apps I have, ores such as goodreader and iCab have blossomed, but most seem to get caught up in a race to the bottom where apparently the cost of the app and the fragmentation of the niche market each one has isn't allowing for a lot of development.... That's at least my subjective view of it...

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
I am atleast impressed with the speed many apps are updated for the new iPads retina display. Good on the devs for that part.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
There's a natural ebb & flow of development. Apples marketing practices tend to create unrealistic expectations.

Ther are a lot of areas though where I find a lot of apps that are a mixed bag, but i can't find a couple that are really great. Just a lot of mediocre ones. But fair original point anyway.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Ther are a lot of areas though where I find a lot of apps that are a mixed bag, but i can't find a couple that are really great. Just a lot of mediocre ones. But fair original point anyway.
I don't disagree. I believe the sheer number of apps affects quality as developers must compete with a staggering volume of apps in each category. Currently the total number is so high, trying to stand out among the crowd is a very daunting task. I certainly wouldn't want to be an iOS developer in the current climate. As a sideline perhaps, but as a main source of income it's a real crap shoot.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have quite a lot of apps that haven't evolved to add more functionality and advance a lot over the years...
Are these free apps or paid for apps? Also, not every app needs to evolve if it does what it was designed to.

If you have an app that you feel is missing features, there's always another app that is similar you can try. Or you can try to contact the app developer to ask about features you feel are lacking.

Developers move on to new things and sometimes lose interest in an app they wrote. Especially if they were free apps.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
How many times have we read "$4.99", that's too much? Aren't there any free apps that do the same thing?

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Commenting as a dev: it's pretty hard to make money on the app store, but the rewards can be huge when you get it right.

Thing is, even getting it totally right in the wrong category isn't rewarding. If you make some amazing app that covers a very niche market, you still get tiny sales, and the only way to earn a living is to sell it at a very high price. That's OK for say a medical app purchased by hospitals, but not many people would pay $200 for say an egg timer.

End result: Lots of devs make pretty good niche apps, then start to work on making them awesome... and see their sales, and decide it's not worth the effort. So they either start making games, or they go back to their day jobs.

For a really great app to happen I think it has to be in an area that's reasonably profitable to make it worth it, otherwise the dev must make it awesome on the first attempt, before they realise it's not going to pay off ;) Some will do it for the love rather than the money of course.

Competition is definitely a factor, but not a huge one. If I want to build an app, I certainly look at the competition in that sector. There's only a few outcomes though: The competition is too good (in which case my app wouldn't be great, and you don't want it anyway), the competition isn't good enough (I go and make an awesome app), or there is too much competition (which means my app is average compared to all the others, and you're not missing out).

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I hardly buy apps anymore because most of the apps simply feel so unfinished. Even the well-reviewed, popular apps (QuickOffice I'm looking at you) have major problems.

There's also too many dime-a-dozen note-taking and PDF markup apps. Honestly, the iPad is in most cases horrible for note-taking compared to a good pen and paper. Same goes for marking up PDFs, unless you have some specific requirement that your notes remain digital.

davidhood

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
Stagnated!!

It's hasn't even reached a level where it could begin to stagnate.

IMO, the lack of useful innovative apps is quite surprising, given the years the Ipad had been around.

If I could write code, I could get rich.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
The largest issue for me by far is the failure of developers to adopt cloud syncing between devices. Game saves or otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.