Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Basically i want to know if you guys think its worth buying one now or waiting a while for te rev B to come out? as i am pretty desperate for one but would hate to buy one and see an update at the next apple event,

Thanks,

Shadow

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
hmmmm... Good Qu.
Personally I'd never get a mini, but....
You see, it's unprecedented, so we really don't know if apple are going to rev this machine up like it's other Macs. Like the Cube, we may be seeing a different beast!

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
I was agonizing over whether to wait for a standard video upgrade in the Mac Mini, but the more I read about the XBox 360, the more I realize that within a year, I won't be using a Mac for gaming anyway.

On that basis, I'm just going to go pick up a Mac Mini next week, because it will do everything I need from a computer, and the 32 meg of VRam is a non-issue for my web surfing and email.

The Mac as a web tool, music platform, and to keep my things organized. The XBox as a game machine. Not a bad combination. Man, I love competition...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
tom5304 said:
Man, I love competition...

I'm very happy for you, albeit a little confused. :confused:

Nevertheless, I completely agree with what you're saying. The mini was never meant as a gaming machine, let alone a fast performer. Plus, any upgrade we see will probably be incremental just as every other Mac update (save the iMac) has been since the G4 iBook and G5 PowerMac. I'm not expecting anything radical so I figure you may as well just go out and get a mini today. Enjoy. :)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
tom5304 said:
I was agonizing over whether to wait for a standard video upgrade in the Mac Mini, but the more I read about the XBox 360, the more I realize that within a year, I won't be using a Mac for gaming anyway.

On that basis, I'm just going to go pick up a Mac Mini next week, because it will do everything I need from a computer, and the 32 meg of VRam is a non-issue for my web surfing and email.

I agree with you on that but i am just scared that a new updated Mini will arrive in a week or two and i will regret my purchase, so i think i will hold out until WWDC and then buy,

I am guessing the updates will be:
Airport as standard
512mb ram standard
64mb graphics
faster processors
maybe even superdrive as standard

but maybe thats being a bit optimistic, AHHH dunno what to do i am so tempted to go down to apple store regents street and pick one up today :D

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Slightly off topic I know;

I'm planing on getting a mini for my wife for christmas, the G3 Powerbook is beginning to show signs of getting too old. I wish Apple would come out with a competitively priced flat panel display to match the mini.

I know the target market is the PC user who has everything already and just needs to switch the box, but I'm sure Apple would sell the mini by the store full if they had a cheap matching display.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
shadowmoses said:
I agree with you on that but i am just scared that a new updated Mini will arrive in a week or two and i will regret my purchase, so i think i will hold out until WWDC and then buy,

I am guessing these wont be too far off given production has finally caught up with demand from what we can tell.

Airport as standard

Maybe. I would hope the high end model at least gets this as standard expecially if the rumoured new AExp with video comes out...

512mb ram standard

Yeah, got to happen.

Maybe even 256mb on logic board with the same slot comign standard with a 256mb...

64mb graphics

Again, with Tiger this should be a certainty but I am not sold that it will be standard but rather an upgrade or only on the high end.

faster processors

Yeah, on the highend expect 1.5Ghz G4.

Maybe dual-layer Superdrive option...

Also 100 gig HDD option or standard.

Maybe optical audio out/in...

Maybe a built in iPod Dock...

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Well i am going to try and fix my Yikes G4 today by getting a new PRAM battery, if this doesnt work i will auction off the dead G4 on ebay and go and get a MAC mini this weekend. The main thing that entices me by the mac mini over a Second hand QUicksilver G4 that i had also considered is its quiet running speed meaning i can leave it on 24/7 in my bedroom. Anyhow i look forward to getting one i'll probably order the following specs:

1.25ghz model
Upgrade the HD to 80gb
ADD airport and Bluetooth
and i will order a 512mb memory chip from crucial to upgrade that later.

I was wondering does opening up the mini to add RAM void the warranty?

Thanks,

Shdow

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
James Philp said:
….we really don't know if apple are going to rev this machine up like it's other Macs. Like the Cube, we may be seeing a different beast!

I find it odd that Apple produced both the iMac and the Mac mini. The more I think about it the more I’m convinced that the better product would be a mini format, box on the desktop, feeding a separate display. At purchase you opt for the G4 or G5 model along with all your other BTO options etc. and then if you need it spec. an Apple display (17”WS please). I mean look at the current ACD’s and putting a mini on its foot is going to take up no more desk-space.

This format would also give the option to add tiers to your mini such as the optical drive as a separate box or an extra HD, iHome, Asteriod, etc. etc. I bet you could even find a small format photo printer to fit into a similar format.

nef919

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
UCNJ
I just broke down and bought one. I considered waiting until after WWDC, but decided that the upgrades if any weren't going to be monumental. If they do turn out to be that huge, then I guess I'll just break down and buy another. At the price you can't go wrong. Just stack them and no space worries.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
nef919 said:
I just broke down and bought one. I considered waiting until after WWDC, but decided that the upgrades if any weren't going to be monumental. If they do turn out to be that huge, then I guess I'll just break down and buy another. At the price you can't go wrong. Just stack them and no space worries.

Nicely done which one did you end up going for???

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
mpw said:
I find it odd that Apple produced both the iMac and the Mac mini. The more I think about it the more I’m convinced that the better product would be a mini format, box on the desktop, feeding a separate display. At purchase you opt for the G4 or G5 model along with all your other BTO options etc. and then if you need it spec. an Apple display (17”WS please). I mean look at the current ACD’s and putting a mini on its foot is going to take up no more desk-space.

This format would also give the option to add tiers to your mini such as the optical drive as a separate box or an extra HD, iHome, Asteriod, etc. etc. I bet you could even find a small format photo printer to fit into a similar format.

Have to disagree with you there. All those cords... yuck!

My wife's 20-inch iMac with wireless keyboard and mouse is a thing of beauty.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
shadowmoses said:
Airport as standard
512mb ram standard
64mb graphics
faster processors

I agree with everything but the airport. an entry level desktop system is never going to have ap as standard.

shadowmoses:
buy a mini now if you need it. it won't be for a while that we see updates i'm sure. also the mini has been much better received than the cube. the mini will not go the way of the cube and there will be a few revs at least.

I love my mini. I got the lower 1.25 model and once I upped the ram to 1gb it sure seemed like a serious performer. I know a 1.25 or 1.42 G4 isn't going to burn but with ample ram it will perform well for most users.

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
mad jew said:
I'm very happy for you, albeit a little confused. :confused:

:)

The competition that is making Macs and PCs obsolete as gaming machines is the competition between Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony. They are cutting each other's throats, keeping the technology zooming and the prices low, and we can sit back and reap the benefits.

(Wait, now someone will counter that personal computers aren't obsolete as gaming machines! Oh well.)

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
wordmunger said:
Have to disagree with you there. All those cords... yuck!

My wife's 20-inch iMac with wireless keyboard and mouse is a thing of beauty.

No, you miss-understand. The idea would be that the mini's CPU would have a docking port on top each of the other items would get a docking port top and bottom leaving a 6"² column with only the cables need by each unit ie. CPU base might have all the normal USB/FW/DVI/VGA arrangement and power, the next unit up might be the optional optical drive so no cables required, next could be iHome™ which might need TV in or AV cables, next asteroid with a midi port but none would need cabling back to the CPU or power just to other peripheries like key board or TV feeds. A bit like the Sony LISA hi-fi that had each separate connected by just a single FW cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.