Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennyboy942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Hi All,

I've got an iPhone 3GS which I bought of a friend with hope that I would be able to fix it. I've tried to restore the phone, but iTunes displays an error and I can't get any further. The phone now just displays the Apple logo, and the only way to switch it off is by running the battery flat. Please help! Also, I'm not the best at tech lingo, please keep it reasonably simple.

The phone is a Jailbroken 16GB 3GS, and I'm running a Mac.

Any suggestions would be amazing!

Thanks,
Ben

Mlough86

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Hold power and home button together till apple goes off the screen then wait about 2 mins the apple should come back on then the phone

bennyboy942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Thanks Mlough86, tried it just then, no luck, just goes back to the Apple logo, and progresses no further.

Cancelled
May 16, 2010
Hi,
I'm experiencing the exact same problem here with an iPhone 3GS 16GB that i had jailbroken. Suddenly a few days ago it stopped working, showing just the apple logo for a lot of time, then every once in a while the screen flashes for a second and then it goes back to the apple logo.

I've tried to restore it by putting it in DFU and do a clean reinstall of the firmware to iOS 5.1 with iTunes, but all i get is that iTunes would recognize it in recovery mode, lets me restore the firmware and all (the iPhone screen shows a progress bar under the apple logo) but then when it finishes the iPhone gets stuck again to the apple logo, even though at this point iTunes recognizes it as a full working iPhone (iTunes shows the screen where it says the iPhone name, cell number, serial number and the GB bar)

I've tried this process several times but i always get the same result: iPhone stuck in a endless cycle of apple logo for a lot of minutes, then flashes, and back to apple logo.
I don't know what to do at this point. has anybody got any suggestion for doing a clean reset of the device?

Cancelled
May 16, 2010
Hi,
Could you please explain all the steps I have to follow in order to get my iPhone to work again?

anyway I don't think that i had the ipad baseband installed on it because i bought it already sim unlocked (since it was an european model that wasn't locked to any specific carrier) unless it automatically installed the ipad basedand when i jailbroken it?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi,
Could you please explain all the steps I have to follow in order to get my iPhone to work again?

anyway I don't think that i had the ipad baseband installed on it because i bought it already sim unlocked (since it was an european model that wasn't locked to any specific carrier) unless it automatically installed the ipad basedand when i jailbroken it?

Plug it to tinyumbrella and it should list the firmware and baseband version its on.
Let us know what it displays.

Cancelled
May 16, 2010
The firmware version is the 5.1 as I've restored the device to it with iTunes (the restore process works perfectly fine, the iphone gets recognized, the bar loads, and it restarts as it should do normally after the restore, but instead of loading the OS normally, it just gets stuck on the apple logo again)

The installed baseband version is 05.16.05-6.4_M3S2

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The firmware version is the 5.1 as I've restored the device to it with iTunes (the restore process works perfectly fine, the iphone gets recognized, the bar loads, and it restarts as it should do normally after the restore, but instead of loading the OS normally, it just gets stuck on the apple logo again)

The installed baseband version is 05.16.05-6.4_M3S2

Oh, I see.
So you dont have to mess with any custom firmware or any of that.
I'd try a DFU restore on another computer to see if that makes any difference, if still nothing there might be a hardware issue with the phone.

Cancelled
May 16, 2010
I've tried the DFU restore on both my imac and macbook and got the same result... at first I thought at a hardware issue too but It seems too weird to me that the computer recognizes it as a perfectly working device showing me the normal iPhone screen on iTunes... i'm not a technician but i guess that if the iPhone had an hardware issue, say for example to the mother board, the computer wouldn't be able to access all the data such as the iPhone name, serial number, the GBs bar, etc... as it show with any working device on iTunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.