Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoG506

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Ohio
WOOOT! So i did the chat thing. and got my iphone unlock Immediately. :D I DO NOT have an account with AT&T, never did.

----------

Just got mine at 8. Sadly I'm trying with "SAM" and not working. Don't wanna lose JB

I just did mine with SAM so I did not want to fully restore. but I im going to do a full restore. so I can clear ALL the cydia stuff. my 3GS getting a little laggy.

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
WOOOT! So i did the chat thing. and got my iphone unlock Immediately. :D I DO NOT have an account with AT&T, never did.
[url=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8125/77170091.png]Image[/URL]

----------

I just did mine with SAM so I did not want to fully restore. but I im going to do a full restore. so I can clear ALL the cydia stuff. my 3GS getting a little laggy.
Oh you did, maybe I'm doin something wrong can you tell me what settings for Sam you used?

KoG506

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Ohio
Oh you did, maybe I'm doin something wrong can you tell me what settings for Sam you used?

make sure it is not connected to the PC
go into your main SAM setting. then turn off (hacktivate option) then go into the "more" ult. and choose the "de activate iphone" then choose the "deactivate iphone (clear Push)". go back to the main SAM settings menu and choose the "more information" it should say that the iphone is unactivated. connect the iphone into the computer.

Acer111

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Iphone 4s unlocked

Just thought I would write a quick message to all of the people out there who were told to wait until the 17th for their unlock. I was told this as well and didn't understand when others were receiving an immediate unlock. Try putting another sim card in your phone and see if it works. I did this and found that Apple or AT&T who ever is doing the unlock had already done it. I still haven't received the email from AT&T. I then restored the phone and got the unlock message that everyone else is getting. Just wanted to let everyone know who is patiently waiting.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Called to get on contract 4S unlocked by tech support. They had to verify a few things and put me on hold. I was told to restore immediately, did, and saw the unlock screen :D

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I used my mom's upgrade to get my iPhone 4S so techincally the 4S is still on contract but my line actually isn't. I gave them IMEI, they put me on hold for about 7-10 minutes while they were "investigating" the IMEI, then I was told to restore.

eugene o

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
I have received the e-mail telling me that my unlock was approved, but have trouble actually unlocking the phone.

I have iPhone 4, 5.0.1, with jailbreak I would like to preserve. I tried deactivating it both with redsn0w and SAM. I do not see "connect to iTunes" screen and the phone seems to work as usual with the exception of cell service.

Plugging it into iTunes briefly shows a spinner in iTunes, and then it shows the regular iPhone management page. After that SAM says the phone is wildcard-activated and it connects to AT&T. It doesn't show me the "you are now unlocked" message. Testing the phone with t-mobile sim showed it is still locked. Only once after deactivating with redsn0w and rebooting I got to "select your WiFi network" screen with the same ultimate result.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I try restoring with the stitched 5.0.1 ipsw? Does it mean that my unlock is not ready yet, despite the e-mail?

Thanks!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have received the e-mail telling me that my unlock was approved, but have trouble actually unlocking the phone.

I have iPhone 4, 5.0.1, with jailbreak I would like to preserve. I tried deactivating it both with redsn0w and SAM. I do not see "connect to iTunes" screen and the phone seems to work as usual with the exception of cell service.

Plugging it into iTunes briefly shows a spinner in iTunes, and then it shows the regular iPhone management page. After that SAM says the phone is wildcard-activated and it connects to AT&T. It doesn't show me the "you are now unlocked" message. Testing the phone with t-mobile sim showed it is still locked. Only once after deactivating with redsn0w and rebooting I got to "select your WiFi network" screen with the same ultimate result.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I try restoring with the stitched 5.0.1 ipsw? Does it mean that my unlock is not ready yet, despite the e-mail?

Thanks!

Sounds like you're not doing something right and your phone doesnt deactivate.
Try restoring or deactivating it again with redsnow.
You're supposed to be on the welcome screen with connect to itunes.
Then leave your sim in and plug it to itunes to activate it and you will get the message.

TehReaper

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
so in theory if you get the email your iPhone is unlocked correct? you just need to run through the Restore phase?

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009

Thanks!

I think there's a possibility that actually updating and restoring to the latest software has something to do with the phone "checking" in with apple servers. To my knowledge, restoring from previous saved SHSH isn't contacting apple servers correct? Your newly unlocked iphone needs to be in contact with apple's servers since they put your phone their whitelist. This is why, they tell all of us to restore and update.

so in theory if you get the email your iPhone is unlocked correct? you just need to run through the Restore phase?

So far that seems to be the case. I'm 3 for 3 :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
To my knowledge, restoring from previous saved SHSH isn't contacting apple servers correct? Your newly unlocked iphone needs to be in contact with apple's servers since they put your phone their whitelist. This is why, they tell all of us to restore and update.

That's false.
Shsh blobs are only there and used to restore to unsigned firmware, it has nothing to do with Apple's activation servers.
I restored my i4 to custom 5.0.1 ipsw and still got the unlocked message.

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
That's false.
Shsh blobs are only there and used to restore to unsigned firmware, it has nothing to do with Apple's activation servers.
I restored my i4 to custom 5.0.1 ipsw and still got the unlocked message.

shows you how much I know about preserving basebands :confused:

backlash224

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
After getting the AT&T email I've restored numerous times but still have not gotten the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" message in iTunes.

Am I doing something wrong?

I've contacted ATT and they said that they can't see if the unlock went through and to contact Apple. But I don't have Applecare so I'm not going to pay to talk to Apple tech support.

Will starting over and asking ATT to unlock my iPhone 4 again cause any problems?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Well that was shockingly easy! Used the AT&T chat feature on their website. 10 minutes later, the agent told me to expect unlock instructions by email by April 29. I don't know why it is such a long wait but I'll try restoring over the weekend to see if the unlock has gone through.

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA

Thanks!

Hey, mine was doin same thing since last night after I got my email, it seemed sorta like that congrats screen wanted to come up, but went to normal itunes screen, know what I mean? So this morning went back on AT&T chat to verify they sent unlock, cause I'm under contract so figured that's why it wasn't working even tho I got the email, live chat said yes your unlock was sent, Anyway today while I was out I figured let me pick up a tmobile prepaid. Cost 10 bucks, got home popped out AT&T out in tmobile waited like. 2 mins for search and boom phone works with tmobile do I assume that means I'm unlocked, so try that!

----------

Has anyone managed to get AT&T to unlock an iphone that is still under contract?
Yes! Read my above. Still don't know how lol I went on the chat the 2nd day it was going on and the chat told me yes your eligible. Then after reading how everyone was gettin an instant email and unlock I called and guy says oh your not eligible until like 2013. So pretty shocked I got that mail last nite

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.