Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Happytodd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Exactly as title says, is it possible? I've tried everything such as SHSH, googling etc with absolutely no luck. Thanks guys!

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
I'm not sure why you refer to Background.png, isn't it Default@2x.png you're referring to (stored in /Applications/BiteSMS.app) ?

Default%402x.png

Happytodd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Yes, but replacing that does not work. It only changes the loader when opening the app for only a couple of seconds. Then BiteSms goes back to normal.

I had typed Background.png because thats the most common thing I suppose.. specially regarding the default iPhone sms app.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
If you use WinterBoard I suggest you do what sidewinder suggests

Not sure this works on 5.0 but worth a shot

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
ok, I recall i saw a very strange explanation on the BiteSMS support forums and apparantly "when the app is loading the images of background sms and springboard they intercept that request and took the image you want in path you want in the memory… actually the background image is builtin in the app.. adding winterboard support means bring out of the app that image in an image file so winterboard and the app you like can change that image"

So I guess it's about hacking the binary then :)

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
ok, I recall i saw a very strange explanation on the BiteSMS support forums and apparantly "when the app is loading the images of background sms and springboard they intercept that request and took the image you want in path you want in the memory… actually the background image is builtin in the app.. adding winterboard support means bring out of the app that image in an image file so winterboard and the app you like can change that image"

So I guess it's about hacking the binary then :)

i really dont wanna get winterboard just for this minor thing :(

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
i really dont wanna get winterboard just for this minor thing :(

Once again...

THERE. IS. NOTHING. WRONG. WITH. WINTERBOARD.

:cool:

Happytodd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Ohh wow. I finally got it to work using Winterboard. Thankyou so much guys!!
I think it didn't work before because I had probably used a larger image. I'll just fiddle around with it now, and hopefully I can get it the way I want it!

:D

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
searched for a thread like this but there was no real answer..

Can you theme the bitesms background on an IPHONE 4s [jailbroken] to black or something similar? Please answwer

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
searched for a thread like this but there was no real answer..

Can you theme the bitesms background on an IPHONE 4s [jailbroken] to black or something similar? Please answwer

You definitely can do it. I have it set on mine right now, but you have to be willing to use Winterboard and create a new theme.

If you create a folder and name it "SMSBackground.theme," then inside place a png that's titled "SMSBackground.png" just SSH that folder into the var/stash/Themes.xxxx folder and then activate the theme in Winterboard to make it work.

The png should be 480 x 375 to work properly, but only part of that png will be visible. For example:

This is the picture I'm using:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1101364/SMSBackground.png

and this is what it looks like in Bite:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1101364/bitesmsbackground.PNG

also make sure that you use png and NOT "PNG" as the file extension.

Additionally, changing the dimensions of the png's will not work.

EDIT: Folder name changed for clarity

Last edited:

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I have one more question to avoid making another topic since its similar - where are the bubble images (chat bubbles) located? Or what are they named cause its lost somewhere in my themes?

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
You definitely can do it. I have it set on mine right now, but you have to be willing to use Winterboard and create a new theme.

If you create a folder and name it whatever you want, "BiteSMS Wallpaper," etc, then inside place a png that's titled "SMSBackground.png" just SSH that folder into the var/stash/Themes.xxxx folder and then activate the theme in Winterboard to make it work.

The png should be 480 x 375 to work properly, but only part of that png will be visible. For example:

This is the picture I'm using:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1101364/SMSBackground.png

and this is what it looks like in Bite:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1101364/bitesmsbackground.PNG

also make sure that you use png and NOT "PNG" as the file extension.

Additionally, changing the dimensions of the png's will not work.

this didnt work for me..

mandivvy

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Change/Set Background in Bitesms STEP-BY-STEP

I will be glad to give a step-by-step process for putting a custom background on BiteSms app if anyone still needs the help? Feel free to email me your request at mandivvy@yahoo.com and I will respond as soon as I possibly can. Or you can simply reply here on the MacRumors forum to let me know. I do plan to upload the step-by-step process on here asap as well... Just wanted to see if anyone really still needs it or not before I take the time to do it. ~Peace

Note: when I say step-by-step, I mean literally click by click very detailed so you shouldn't have any problems or get confused in any way. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.