Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Had had Nokia Lumia 900 for 24 hours now.

Wonderful phone. Great solid feel. RF is always Nokia strong point. Only took Apple 5 generations of iPhones to get the antenna correctly. Seriously iPhone 4S is the first iPhone where I can honestly say the RF is up to par with Motorola and Nokia.

Windows Phone OS takes about 5 minutes to learn. Easy for me to used

Internet explorer is speedier but feels like its a generation behind safari. Feels more like iOS 4.0 browser than iOS 5 browser. Android Chrome browser is awesome for those who have tried it with ICS. I previously owned the galaxy nexus as well.

Battery life on LTE. Excellent for LTE device. Still about 20 percent left at 8pm. My iPhone 4S I usually have 30-40% left by 8pm on HSPA. Verizon galaxy nexus would be dead by 4pm unless I baby it. I carry both AT&T and Verizon service.

But this may be a deal breaker for some people. The 8mp camera on the Nokia is subpar in darker low light situations. Honestly Nokia took the wrong shortcut on cost cutting here. Nokia took out the back illuminated sensor (BSI) to save money and that may come back to hunt them. I think in this day if u market a phone as a flagship phone the camera has to be excellent. Htc has excellent cameras these days as well as the iPhone 4S.

I will keep this Nokia because I like windows phone OS. I'll still carry the iPhone 4S with me along with the Nokia Lumia 900. I have been a 2 phone at a time guy for the past 5 years. At first it was windows mobile (remember windows mobile? And blackberry). Than blackberry and iPhone. Than I carried iPhone/android plus blackberry. For the past year I have carried android and iPhone together.

But I dumped my Galaxy nexus a couple weeks ago. So will carry iPhone and windows phone together. Maybe I have the perfect combo of phones. No one phone is perfect.

Microsoft Apollo release in Q4 will finally bring more options for OEM in terms of screen resolution duo core/quad core options. Microsoft usually takes three versions to get it right. Apollo will be the third software for windows phone.

The Nokia lumia 900 is a step in the right direction. It's smooth and fluid even with a single core. Screen is beautiful. Not retina but it's no slouch.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Microsoft Apollo release in Q4 will finally bring more options for OEM in terms of screen resolution duo core/quad core options. Microsoft usually takes three versions to get it right. Apollo will be the third software for windows phone.

This is honestly the number one thing that has me thinking I might not keep the phone. generally I am not one to keep "waiting for tomorrow", however the resolution might be a deal breaker. It isn't unbearable, by any means, but it is noticeable, as mentioned.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am now on day two, and have noticed a few more things that I miss, most of them being apps.

To start, there is no skype support. Before anyone asks, using something else isn't really an option. I skype with family in Hungary about once a week. Sure, I can skype on the computer, but the phone was a matter of convenience.

Nike + GPS
Nike+ probably isn;t the best running app out there, but I have enjoyed using it mainly because it updates so many sites with run status. I am not big on social networking, but it's neat to basically back up all that data in a public place, and see how I did this week versus last week, month, year, etc.

Wells Fargo
There is a Bank of America app, but nothing for wells. We are going to be switching to BofA when we move to Boston (not much of a Wells presence there), but for the time being it would have been nice to have an app. Mobile website is ok I guess. The app was just convenient since I use it daily.

I am also starting to hate bing search. For one thing, I find the layout terrible. With google I can easily see the top 5 (maybe more) search results. On bing, I can only see the top three. This is based on how bing works on the WP7... it's basically it's own app that load (instantly) when in need of it. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was excited to be forced into using bing. The excitement has gone. I might be happy with it if it loaded like a standard web page though. Searches seem as relevant as Google, but again, I am used to more information on a page and think I prefer that.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I've been using an HTC Trophy since June. The things I like about WP I really like, but there are some weaknesses that bother me. Windows 8 will probably address some of those things, but if it doesn't come out before the next iPhone, I will probably go to an iPhone.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I've been using an HTC Trophy since June. The things I like about WP I really like, but there are some weaknesses that bother me. Windows 8 will probably address some of those things, but if it doesn't come out before the next iPhone, I will probably go to an iPhone.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

What are those things you want addressed? Curious to see how they are similar (or different) to mine.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
What are those things you want addressed? Curious to see how they are similar (or different) to mine.

The first thing I don't like are the notifications. If I get a text, I get a toast notification at the top, which is great, unless I don't want to view it at that time. Then I have to go to the start screen and open the messaging app. Also, facebook and several apps give toast notifications, why not email? There is no way to quickly check an email without going to the start screen. This really defeats the purpose of fast app switching.

I can't seem to get comfortable with scrolling up and down instead of side to side for apps. When I unlock the phone I can only see six apps. Granted the tiles are large and this makes it easy to press them and to see if there is a notification on the tile, but I would really like to see more apps at once.

There is no way to back up the phone like the iPhone has with iTunes or iCloud. The marketplace doesn't have a section that shows the apps you have downloaded like android does. So if you have to replace your phone you either have to remember what apps you had or go to windowsphone.com and see what you had on your phone. Regardless it's not a pain free method of setting up a replacement phone.

I don't care for having to hook the phone to the computer to install updates.

Screeen resolution, camera and apps: My wife has the iphone 4 and these are three areas where her phone is head and shoulders above mine. WP has a good selection of apps for the extremely small market share it has, but there are still a lot that are missing.

I think all of these will probably be addressed in Windows 8 except for the up and down scrolling. The apps will come with marketshare. I do enjoy my phone, especially the integrated facebook and twitter. I'm not ruling out getting another WP, but most of these issues will have to be taken care of for me to do so.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I am now on day two, and have noticed a few more things that I miss, most of them being apps.

To start, there is no skype support. Before anyone asks, using something else isn't really an option. I skype with family in Hungary about once a week. Sure, I can skype on the computer, but the phone was a matter of convenience.
Umm... yes, there is. ;)

It's still in beta, but works great.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/c3f8e570-68b3-4d6a-bdbb-c0a3f4360a51

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I've always wanted own a WP7 and this Nokia 900 is a steal for $49 on Amazon. I love, I mean love my iPhone 4. But the Lumia having a 4G connection and the curiosity factor (shiny new toy) have me licking my chops.

Anther reason I'm switching is to lower my bill. I'm at $100 a month with an outdated phone on Verizon while with AT&T ($69 a month) I'll be getting a 4.3" LTE phone with an OS that's fresh and fun to use. I'm glad to see there's also some level of Mac support which is more than I can say for any Android phone.

I've heard some glowing reviews of this phone, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I hate accessories though, I literally have one case for my iPhone that I use and that's it :p

Thanks for the head's up, though.

No problem. FWIW it includes things like chargers, bluetooth headsets, and headphones too. I opted for a bunch of cases and screen shields since I had no need for ANOTHER pair of headphones.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I believe the $100 worth of accessories on only for certain AT&T markets in the midwest.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

I would get the Lumia if it had around 300 ppi and if it had a better camera. From what I've seen on reviews, my iPhone 4 is even better than it.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
If Apple doesn't come out with a 4" iPhone in October, I am switching to an Apollo Windows Phone later in the year.
The only problem is that for 2012, the specs on this phone are absolutely terrible, and the app selection in the Windows Marketplace is lackluster at best. I'd go Android before I ever moved to Windows Phone. :cool:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The only problem is that for 2012, the specs on this phone are absolutely terrible, and the app selection in the Windows Marketplace is lackluster at best. I'd go Android before I ever moved to Windows Phone. :cool:

First off, I am always an early adopter to tech/phone stuff. Own all the latest/greates iOS, Android, and now Windows Phone device.

I find it ironic from Apple users to get on "specs", especially long time mac users who always claim the software is superior so they don't need "latest specs" for their computer to run.

Moving on. Try the phone at the store. Windows 7 phones are very fluid, no lag. Microsoft is forcing OEM's into their strict requirement.

The Lumia 900's build quality is excellent. Feels solid in your hands. Call quality is top-notch. I"ve probably been through 30 smartphones the past 5 years. Yes 30 smartphones. I can honestly tell you OEM's really do not focus on the the "phone" aspect of the smartphone. It's been a long time. Maybe my Motorola Q9H phone since I've had a smartphone with a great antenna and great call quality.

Now lets get to the Windows 7 phone OS. It's very "light" OS. So doesn't need to have the lastest specs to perform everyday tasks very well.

And Windows 7 Phone handles LTE better than any Android device out there (outside of the Razr Maxx which has double battery capacity). I can get a full day of "heavy use" on the LTE. Usually down to 10-20% by 8PM. My Verizon Gnex died by 4PM. My Verizon Thunderbolt died by 1PM.

Screen is bright. People will complain about the 480x800 resolution. But you know what, outside of reading books on a phone, it doesn't make much of a difference to 90-95% of the people out there.

Nokia/Microsoft in partnership with ATT are trying to gain market share. This is their best chance.

I love all my phones. Android, iOS, and now Windows Phone. I've had the Nokia Lumia 900 for 4 days and everything is solid.

The one complaint I have it the camera. Nokia definitely took shortcuts by leaving out the BSI sensor for low light. So if camera is very important to you, I would not recommend this phone.

Other than that, it's a great device and will is an attractive phone at an great price (on contract).

Personally myself, I paid full price $450 retail for the phone after learning that Amazon required me to keep the phone active with a data plan for 181 days. Not worth it for me to use my full subsidy upgrade for $20 when I have to keep at least a $20 data plan for 6 months on a line I don't even use. I keep one of my lines as a ghost line. And factor in the $36 activation costs, there was no difference in terms of full price vs. upgrade price plus 6 months data plus ETF (amazon charges $250 if you do not keep active data plus ATT's decreasing $325 ETF-$10/month). So I just brought phone full price.

Helps that Nokia/ATT already noted my account for $100 statement credit. So basically $350 for this phone no contract.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I take a lot of pictures so I'm just a bit worried about the camera and the selection of photo editing apps. But the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive and I'm so excited for my 900 to arrive. Plus I'm in an LTE supported city so this will be my first go around with that, it'll be a big improvement over my >1Mbit speeds with Verizon 3G.

4.3" ClearBlack AMOLED screen, live tiles, brisk OS navigation, LTE.....I already had my run with Android and while it does some nice things, it wasn't meant to be. I am really hoping my experience with a maturing platform like WP7 will be a great one.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I take a lot of pictures so I'm just a bit worried about the camera and the selection of photo editing apps. But the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive and I'm so excited for my 900 to arrive. Plus I'm in an LTE supported city so this will be my first go around with that, it'll be a big improvement over my >1Mbit speeds with Verizon 3G.

4.3" ClearBlack AMOLED screen, live tiles, brisk OS navigation, LTE.....I already had my run with Android and while it does some nice things, it wasn't meant to be. I am really hoping my experience with a maturing platform like WP7 will be a great one.

If you take a lot of pictures, be prepared to be disappointed in low light settings.

I'd advise you to go to the store and try it before it arrives and before you open it. The Nokia Lumia 900 will probably be right next to the new HTC Titan 2. The Titan 2's camera is much superior to the Lumia 900.

It's all about the BSI with low light for cell phone cameras these days.

Other than the camera, the Lumia 900 is an excellent device especially for those who are sick of Android and want an alternative to iOS.

The Windows Marketplace/App store has roughly only 70K apps compared to over 600K apps for iOS and 500K iOS apps for Android.

Some major missing apps are Pandora, Epocrates (for us medical folks), and the USA's largest bank (by assets), Chase. WTF? No chase? I don't get that.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
First off, I am always an early adopter to tech/phone stuff. Own all the latest/greates iOS, Android, and now Windows Phone device.

I find it ironic from Apple users to get on "specs", especially long time mac users who always claim the software is superior so they don't need "latest specs" for their computer to run.

Moving on. Try the phone at the store. Windows 7 phones are very fluid, no lag. Microsoft is forcing OEM's into their strict requirement.

The Lumia 900's build quality is excellent. Feels solid in your hands. Call quality is top-notch. I"ve probably been through 30 smartphones the past 5 years. Yes 30 smartphones. I can honestly tell you OEM's really do not focus on the the "phone" aspect of the smartphone. It's been a long time. Maybe my Motorola Q9H phone since I've had a smartphone with a great antenna and great call quality.

Now lets get to the Windows 7 phone OS. It's very "light" OS. So doesn't need to have the lastest specs to perform everyday tasks very well.

And Windows 7 Phone handles LTE better than any Android device out there (outside of the Razr Maxx which has double battery capacity). I can get a full day of "heavy use" on the LTE. Usually down to 10-20% by 8PM. My Verizon Gnex died by 4PM. My Verizon Thunderbolt died by 1PM.

Screen is bright. People will complain about the 480x800 resolution. But you know what, outside of reading books on a phone, it doesn't make much of a difference to 90-95% of the people out there.

Nokia/Microsoft in partnership with ATT are trying to gain market share. This is their best chance.

I love all my phones. Android, iOS, and now Windows Phone. I've had the Nokia Lumia 900 for 4 days and everything is solid.

The one complaint I have it the camera. Nokia definitely took shortcuts by leaving out the BSI sensor for low light. So if camera is very important to you, I would not recommend this phone.

Other than that, it's a great device and will is an attractive phone at an great price (on contract).

Personally myself, I paid full price $450 retail for the phone after learning that Amazon required me to keep the phone active with a data plan for 181 days. Not worth it for me to use my full subsidy upgrade for $20 when I have to keep at least a $20 data plan for 6 months on a line I don't even use. I keep one of my lines as a ghost line. And factor in the $36 activation costs, there was no difference in terms of full price vs. upgrade price plus 6 months data plus ETF (amazon charges $250 if you do not keep active data plus ATT's decreasing $325 ETF-$10/month). So I just brought phone full price.

Helps that Nokia/ATT already noted my account for $100 statement credit. So basically $350 for this phone no contract.

The fact that Microsoft mandates what specs will be used keeps some fluidity in their handsets, and helps avoid fragmentation. However with a single core processor, you assure there won't be any graphic intensive games coming to your handset as with the iPhone. Secondarily you're buying into tech that essentially isn't future proof. And the resolution of 480x800 on a 4.3" device leaves much to be desired, amoled + "clear black technology" or not. I'm not dissing the OS as a whole but for 2012, and for a company the size of Microsoft I seriously believe they can do much better.

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I had a Zune HD a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Back then Windows phones were on the horizon and I couldn't wait to have that OS/UI on a phone.

Looks like this is the best offering yet. Too bad it's only on AT&T. And I prefer iPhone nowadays anyway.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I think it looks pretty darn cool! I might try it out and see but if I'm going to make the switch it will have to wait till the next gen Windows phone comes out. I love my iphone camera and the 900 having a lesser camera is a deal breaker for me.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The fact that Microsoft mandates what specs will be used keeps some fluidity in their handsets, and helps avoid fragmentation. However with a single core processor, you assure there won't be any graphic intensive games coming to your handset as with the iPhone. Secondarily you buying into tech that essentially isn't future proof. And the resolution of 480x800 on a 4.3" device leaves much to be desired, ambled + "clear black technology" or not. I'm not dissing the OS as a whole but for 2012, and for a company the size of Microsoft I seriously believe they can do much better.

Microsoft can do better. You are right on. Like any other Microsoft software, it usually takes Microsoft 3 tries to get the software just right. Windows Apollo will be the 3rd version of the new Windows Phone.

Everyone knows what Microsoft Outlook is. But I was one of the unfortunate ones to buy Microsoft Outlook 97 (version 1) at retail price. Microsoft was so embarassed by Outlook 97, they gave away Outlook 98 to gain marketshare.

By Outlook 2000 (version 3) Microsoft finally got it right.

I have a feeling Windows Apollo will be the version that gets Microsoft traction.

Remember the smartphone market can change rapidly. Just five years ago, the iPhone hadn't been officially yet. It wasn't released in June 2007. And Palm Treo brand along with Rim's blackberries and Nokia Symbian models were the market leaders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.