Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyphr3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I am interested in buying a shuffle for both my wife and I because we are getting bored with the same songs at the gym. Is there any reason why not to purchase a shuffle now? I know the Buyers Guide for this website says to not buy and there was some talk in 2011 about the shuffle getting an external speaker/mic added to it.

Didnt know if the price of 45 bucks for a new 2gb 4th gen Shuffle was really that big of a deal to bat an eye at or I should wait for the 5th gen shuffle, but who knows when that is coming out!

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Just do it!

At that price point not much to regret even if they did revamp it soon. (Shoot I wouldn't even have to clear that purchase with the Mrs.) Besides it will be way better than the gym's tunes.

zoomy942

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
I'd wait and I'm actually waiting now. I'm hoping it will somehow link into iTunes match.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I would not wait. I would not be surprised if they phase out the shuffle, which to me would be unfortunate.

When you are jogging or doing cardio, the last thing you want to have to do is to pull out your device and dedicate two hands to it, to flick and activate the next song.

For work outs, the click wheel is amazing and there is actually more than enough storage on there to get several playlists on.

Also, if you make the mistake of washing the darn things, they are VERY resilient and work. A friend of mine has washed his older gen shuffle 3x. It still works.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
WiFi like iPod Touch. iTunes Match caches permanently, not only streams.

WiFi (chips & antenna) added to a <$50 player that is only <1.25"x<1.25"? :eek: Also how would you set WiFi up (select which WiFi & enter your password) and control iCloud with no display and only a click wheel:confused:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
WiFi (chips & antenna) added to a <$50 player that is only <1.25"x<1.25"? :eek: Also how would you set WiFi up (select which WiFi & enter your password) and control iCloud with no display and only a click wheel:confused:

NM, was thinking new Shuffle sized Nano with that last post.

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
That thing is a load of bullocks.

I am buying a shuffle for the gym too, their choice of music is horrible. I thought for 2GB, it will be more than enough as I don't spend more than two hours working out. Plus you can engrave it which is nice on something that small, anyone have ideas?

But for £40, it's a bargain. I'm getting one this week, just trying to find a decent pair of headphones. Like someone said, I don't think Apple can do anything with it now, even if they released a new one tomorrow, it'll probably just be bumped to 4GB and 8GB with a price hike.

xyphr3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
It looks like a good idea, and if you like just choosing songs, have you considered getting a second hand, possibly older generation iPod nano?
I haven't thought about that. I have an 80gb iPod and 16gb iPod touch. It doesn't matter to me if I can find a song to pick. I would like all/most of the music I put on the shuffle and if I'm not in the mood, then the skip function would work.

smcarter

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Shuffle is my Favorite iPod for Working out

I have an iPod classic, nano and iPhone, but the iPod that I listen to the most is my Shuffle. It clicks to almost everything, can hold dozens of songs, books, and podcasts and the voice features more than overcomes the fact that it lacks a screen. It's also the best iPod for working out, if you don't need the Nike add-on.

Also, if I should get the iPod shuffle wet or lost or stomped on, it won't be a huge loss. However, if I got the iPhone stomped, lost or wet, I might have to commit seppuku.

xyphr3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Buy one now!
There is no reason to need a new generation.

My question would be would they even make a new generation. The only way to make a newer shuffle, you would basically be turning it into a Nano, unless you did add a bluetooth for wireless headphones. I am buying them, just waiting for my next paycheck!

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
My question would be would they even make a new generation. The only way to make a newer shuffle, you would basically be turning it into a Nano, unless you did add a bluetooth for wireless headphones. I am buying them, just waiting for my next paycheck!

I had the same issue, but rather than spend £40, I bought used on eBay for half that. Its going to get chucked around in the gym bag, why bother with a new one? Spend the money saved on some half decent headphones.

mushed

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
North East England.
If I had the choice I'd have gotten the previos version (the ones only compatible with the clicker headphones) because I think they looked so much nicer and went up to 4gb. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.