Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fcpx.jpg

Apple met with video consultant and trainer Larry Jordan on the eve of the 2012 NAB show and shared some upcoming plans for Final Cut Pro X. The following features are expected in Final Cut Pro X in 2012:
- Multichannel Audio Editing Tools
- Dual Viewers
- MXF Plug-in Support
- RED camera support
Jordan goes into some light details about some of the new features. FCP X will be able to read MXF files directly without the need to convert to QuickTime. The same can be said for RED camera support whose files will be able to be edited natively. Finally, Apple explains that Dual Viewers is analogous to Source and Record monitors and that they will try to do it better than has been implemented in the previously.

While those are the only features officially announced, Apple indicated that they wouldn't be the only new features coming this year. Jordan also asked for hints about upcoming hardware, but Apple didn't provide any information.

The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) conference kicks off this week in Las Vegas. Apple has not held a major presence at the show in recent years, but did use the venue last year to introduce Final Cut Pro X. Apple again appears to have a presence at the show and is at least meeting with some prominent figures. The NAB runs through April 19th.

Article Link: Apple Reveals 2012 Final Cut Pro X Update with Multichannel Audio Editing, RED Support and More

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
This seems like a nice update. Seems like a lot of FCP X users are going to be pleased.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Makes me real happy, glad to see apple is really trying to make an effort to improve.

artificemm

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Well...

At least Apple is interested on updating the software, let's see how they do on hardware with the MacPro... :/

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Any more info available on the MXF support? MXF is just a wrapper, so I'm not sure how useful that'll be. But if they mean, like, DNxHD or something, that would really give Avid's AMA a run for its money.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
The more time goes on, the more i really feel for Apple when it comes to FCPX. They screwed up when releasing it, but it looks as though they're really trying to make amends and give the people who purchased it the features they actually wanted, and as free updates. I purchased FCPX and have liked it since the beginning, but understood why some professionals thought it was a weak release.

You have to hand it to them, most of the major complaints about the initial release of the software, such as lack of broadcast monitoring, multicam, no XML capabilities and now viewer have all been rectified in a short time. Nice one Apple. And they're actually being a bit more public about the updates which is something they never usually do.

Now if only they released a fantastic Mac Pro to go with it, professionals like myself might finally shutup about Apple abandoning the Pro community.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Final Cut X hasn't replace FCP 7 for me, but I'm using it more and more.

It's not perfect yet but I'm excited for the future. I think people will love FCX in the years to come. In many ways it reminds me of the first iPhone. You can easily explain what's not there now, but the foundation is solid. Just like with that iPhone, you can see how it will grow.

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Give us custom resolution export! I can't make anamorphic videos here! Even iMovie has that feature!

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Yet no mac pro update to run it lol

i agree it's been a looooooong time to say the least, but i expect something soon now that the ivy bridge chips from intel are being released soon.

I still find the 2010 12 core i bought before Christmas to be plenty fast. handles hd like a dream.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yet no mac pro update to run it lol

But is it really needed. Aside from the ability to swap drives, does one really need a Pro.

The more time goes on, the more i really feel for Apple when it comes to FCPX. They screwed up when releasing it,

I'm not really sure I agree that they screwed up. Yes it was lacking a lot of features, but it was a completely rewritten program. Many if not folks would have expected that after seeing the previews. Releasing a program with some features absent to narrow down possible bugs is very common.

The only 'mistake' was perhaps in killing FCS3 so fast.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004

That's really what i meant. If they had released FCPX as 'A Preview of The Next Generation of Video Editing', and kept FCS3 available, then i'm sure the reaction would not have been so bad. But they removed all traces of FCS3, said FCPX was the replacement, pure and simple and that was it. A marketing failure really more than anything else.

Anyways, lets not get into that again :D

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This release will cause us to get at least one station of a new Mac, a seat of FCPX to service the RED equipment we rent for special events.

If it works out for us with our low duty cycle, the folks who watch our bleeding edge resolution and speed needs, will then consider the setup for FX and CGI stuff.

We are looking in particular for the graphics co-processor aspects of the unannounced features. TB can probably keep up with 4k and 8k at 60fps, and we may need a SSD cache.

We have pretty short capture times, under 2 minutes.

Rocketman

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Good to see these improvements. Too bad they are not here yet, although I applaud the decision to let the pro community know what is coming.

And while RED camera support will (eventually) be great to have I know numerous places that depend on R3D workflow who moved away from Apple after Apple dropped them.

I'm not sure if this will recapture the trust lost from those whose business investment was built around Final Cut and left when functionality that was in FCP7 was not included in FCPX.

----------

I'm not really sure I agree that they screwed up. Yes it was lacking a lot of features, but it was a completely rewritten program. Many if not folks would have expected that after seeing the previews. Releasing a program with some features absent to narrow down possible bugs is very common.

I think the real mistake Apple made was pushing this as a FCP7 replacement at the LAFCPUG during NAB 2011. They really misled people during that presentation by showing a project in FCP7 and then showing, and saying, "here is the SAME project in FCPX!", but never saying , "oh BTW, you can't OPEN your FCP7 projects in FCPX.

The hype backfired.

----------

Support for RED cameras, wish I had one of those. The 256 SSD for their camera's are 3200 alone:eek:

When people say the "pro" market is a bunch of whiners, this is a good example of the level of financial investment to be at that level. So when something can no longer be trusted to work it is off the job. If your software of choice drops support for you, you move on.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
But is it really needed. Aside from the ability to swap drives, does one really need a Pro.

Some people need 12 cores of power... the Mac Pro isn't only for swappable drives.

Apple isn't the only company who makes huge, multi-processor workstations...

highdefw

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2009
I really hope NAB will be the time and place where we'll see Apple release or introduce all new Mac Pros!

well intel chips are finally here, and FCPX, there last piece of somewhat professional software, is receiving a solid update. So a hardware update would make sense... let's see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.