Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
This is much to do about nothing!
The reason the bluetooth setting is buried is because it is supposed to stay ON so it is available when YOU need it.

I want a bluetooth connection when I get in my car or when I get home or when I use my bluetooth headset. There is no point to be fiddling with settings just so I can save .00000001 watts of power.

Just my $.99 opinion ;-)

This is not the point. The point is easy access. There are all kinds of rules about this, some are even UI design related.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
The reason the bluetooth setting is buried is because it is supposed to stay ON so it is available when YOU need it.

I want a bluetooth connection when I get in my car or when I get home or when I use my bluetooth headset. There is no point to be fiddling with settings just so I can save .00000001 watts of power.

Just my $.99 opinion ;-)

to me the on and off is not the problem. it's the having to manually connect each time to the speakers i have in my house. I have 2 hooked up to airport express and 2 bluetooth. the bluetooth one's are a pain to deal with bc you have to manually connect each time. on and off isn't the problem.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'd love a full set of quick toggles to turn Wifi/BT/3g on or off on my iPad. It seems so convoluted having to go to settings each time I wish to do so.

Without Jailbreaking might I add!

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
I've been able to do this on my Android device for years...and it's legit.

Even comes standard on Android devices. Turn ON/OFF wifi, BT, GPS, Brightness changes, etc.

Nice to see this type of things going over the the ios. Now we need widgets ;-)

dckcentaur

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Great app my phone drains much faster with bluetooth left on . To the guy that posted it saves very little power you are wrong. It continues to search to connect (using more power)when conmected to other bluetooth device, just like wifi does when you are not connected. Once connected it uses minimal power if you are not actively using it.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
How did this get accepted? They have automated processes for weeding out apps with Private APIs now (I should know, I got an app rejected because of a private API and they told me.)

kbade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Anyone else having problem with this? It seems to turn the icon on/off, but i'm not seeing it show up on my Macbook's list of bluetooth devices.... then i go over to settings, toggle that "on", and the iPhone pops up in the available bluetooth devices... hmm

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

Just my $.99 opinion ;-)

Exactly.... Its not that we need to toggle blue tooth its that we need quick access to our device list to pair unpaired devices when they don't automatically pair. We need that in the notification center as well as the ability to temporarily shutoff WiFi when the WiFi network gets hosed.

YanivZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
On the way to IOS 6

I would expect Apple to introduce (IOS 6?)a quick launch feature for the most useful setting iDevice user is accessing. Wifi, BT, LTE/3G, Airplane mode just to name a few.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I like to quibble...

However, a just-launched app aims to make the task much simpler.

It's not really "much" simpler. I guess we're assuming starting from the home screen with the setting or this app visible. So the options are:

iOS Settings:
Settings --> General --> Bluetooth --> on/off
This app (auto-toggle feature off)
App --> on/off
This app (auto-toggle feature on)
App

But Settings remembers my last location, so if I most recently toggled bluetooth then its just:
Settings --> on/off

So it's just a one tap difference... that is simpler... but only a little simpler. ;)

kbade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Anyone else having problem with this? It seems to turn the icon on/off, but i'm not seeing it show up on my Macbook's list of bluetooth devices.... then i go over to settings, toggle that "on", and the iPhone pops up in the available bluetooth devices... hmm

update... still can't connect using only the app.

The app seems to turn on the bluetooth icon, and toggle the switch in the settings to "on", but the iPhone is not seen by my computer until i visit the setting/general/bluetooth screen (which then already has the toggle to "on")...

Definitely not what's promised in the description.

Another note, the description of the settings option to auto-toggle the in-app bluetooth setting to on/off and then auto-close does work after a restart of my iPhone. However, it has the same problem of not actually activating the bluetooth, just the icon and the toggle.....

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
There needs to be a line on the notification drop-down that has both blue-tooth and wi-fi toggles next to each other. They could have it so you could turn it on and off just like the stock and weather widgets.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The problem is that it won't be allowed to stay, as it uses system level private APIs to accomplish the function, which is a major no-no. If Apple did let it stay, it would be a punch in the face to developers who actually follow the guidelines.

Exactly. This sort of stuff is very frustrating. I thought they have ways to automatically scan whether you're using private frameworks. So what happens now? People flog to it, they make some money and then apple pulls the plug. Seems like a risky approach, but for things that people really want, like wifi toggle, maybe it's worth it? Can we have some standards please, Apple?

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
This is sorely needed. I would use this an I wish Apple offered it. Here's why I need to change bluetooth quickly:

1. I rarely need it, but when I do, it's for my ear-piece.
2. When I do need it, I need it urgently.
3. Bluetooth drains you battery faster, so I'd rather have it OFF most of the time, to be turned on only when needed.
4. Bluetooth can interfere with other devices.

So my use case is simple. I want to have a long conversation with my ear piece, but I want bluetooth OFF most of the time for the above reasons. To turn it on for the call, then to turn it off afterwards, is CONVOLUTED.

Just bought it– in case they pull this thing.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, how did this even get approved?

Finger slip. Or as weird as it sounds perhaps it isn't actually using a Private API at all and that's how it was missed by the automated systems

As for the money issue. Not really an issue. Since its in the press it's only a matter of time before it is yanked. IF it is violating anything I give it no more than 12 hours before it is gone. It's unlikely that really that many folks would spend even 9 cents on this app since either they aren't so lazy as to think the 5 taps are too much or they already jail broke their phone and don't need the app. The one guy that has left a review saying how great the app is might be the only download and for all we know he is one of the developers using a promo code

Last edited:

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
there was an app recently removed from the APP store that did this and made all setting available via clicking on one link. Apple removed it and will probably remove this one.

kbade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
update... still can't connect using only the app.

The app seems to turn on the bluetooth icon, and toggle the switch in the settings to "on", but the iPhone is not seen by my computer until i visit the setting/general/bluetooth screen (which then already has the toggle to "on")...

Definitely not what's promised in the description.

Another note, the description of the settings option to auto-toggle the in-app bluetooth setting to on/off and then auto-close does work after a restart of my iPhone. However, it has the same problem of not actually activating the bluetooth, just the icon and the toggle.....

update2... strangely, if i turn on bluetooth in the settings/general/bluetooth screen, the iPhone is seen by my mac (obviously). Then i go to the app and switch the toggle, then try to rediscover the iPhone, and the mac cannot find it... so bluetooth has been turned off (it seems), great. BUT if I then turn the app toggle back "on", the bluetooth icon comes back, but the iPhone is not seen by the mac. So the app apparently works for a one-time bluetooth turn-off, or so it would seem... terrible.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011

Just my $.99 opinion ;-)

Ok, fair enough. That is how YOU use it. But there are some of us who don't want it on all day long. I have a BT device that I only want connected when I want it connected and not always when the phone is around.

If Apple keeps removing apps like this and they keep showing up, should that not tell them there is a demand for this sort of feature? I played with a friend's Android phone a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at how easy it was to do some things. I have no plans to switch, but some of the shortcuts were cool. May try jailbreaking.

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
I still say that The One Thing that would make my iOS devices much more useful is a "Profiles" app(?) that would live in the dock, and allow a no-fuss no-muss way to change all settings in one shot, including those for wifi (on/off, preferred network), BT, even cell settings.

One profile for my home, one for my car, one for my office, one for each friend's home, etc. Wifi is pretty useless in my car, for example. A one- or two-action method to toggle it on/off would be great. When I get to work, one action to turn off the BT which I needed for hands-free on my iPhone when in my car, while also now connecting to my office wifi is very handy again.

I don't think Apple will ever do it, though. It's just not their style. Sad, because the PocketPC/WinCE phones I had through most of the 2000s had their problems, but this king of profile management was implemented fairly well.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Fool me once.

This might not get pulled, just circumvented in an OS update.

I paid for Flashlaunch that direct linked straight to the wifi/bluetooth settings.
Worked just like I wanted.
Until the last iOS update.

No updates and it doesn't work anymore.

So, as much as I want this app, I am not paying a cent for it unless they guarantee future support, which I doubt would happen.

For a dollar, I'll take my chances– and did. But that is the acknowledged risk that any purchaser takes. It will work for some defined length. After that, no guarantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.