Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FOSS Patents reports that the chief executives of Apple and Samsung, along with their respective general counsels, will meet within the next 90 days at a San Francisco courthouse for a court-moderated discussion aimed at settling the long-standing patent dispute between the two companies. As outlined in a joint statement before the court:
As directed by the Court, Apple and Samsung are both willing to participate in a Magistrate Judge Settlement Conference with Judge Spero as mediator. At Apple, the chief executive officer and general counsel are the appropriate decision-makers, and they will represent Apple during the upcoming settlement discussions. At Samsung, the chief executive officer and general counsel are also the appropriate decision-makers, and they will represent Samsung during these settlement discussions.
The report notes that the settlement talks are "semi-voluntary" in that the court can only compel the parties to meet and talk, but can not force them to reach an agreement. It also in the best interest of the two companies to make their most senior officials available for the discussions so as to demonstrate for the court a good faith effort at resolving the dispute.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg

Apple would obviously be represented by CEO Tim Cook and general counsel Bruce Sewell, while Samsung would appear to be sending representatives from the parent company including CEO Gee-Sung Choi.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung CEOs to Meet for Court-Moderated Settlement Talks over Patent Issues

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I picture the opening scene of Wedding Crashers when I imagine these two companies sitting at a table

Attachments

• You-Shut-Your-Mouth-When-Youre-Talking-to-Me.gif
    You-Shut-Your-Mouth-When-Youre-Talking-to-Me.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
More disputes need to be settled with "sit downs". Less litigation and less money going to lawyers is always a good thing.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Cook Strategy

I wonder if the reason Tim Cook, is so quick to settle disputes with clients, is because he wants Apple to spend their money on things that generate profit.

Apple is spending Hundreds a million on these things that could go towards things that advance technology.

Cook is blazing the trail in wanting to give up on whats been an on-going battle for a few years.

I wonder if Cook is willing to just raise the white flag, and tell competitors don't waist your time in disputes with Apple.

Last edited:

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
It's actually routine to meet with a magistrate to discuss settlement scenarios though usually only the lawyers meet, including general counsel for important cases. But sometimes senior executives attend meetings as will be the case here.

smali

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Look we want news about Macs, iDevices, not this legal crap. Save it for page two.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Supposed iPhone 5 prototypes reveals it looking like a white Galaxy SII, so it's time to forget these issues. "I copy you today, you'll copy me tomorrow".

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Settle so that innovation can move forward. Apple hasn't had anything neck breaking in a while.

Supposed iPhone 5 prototypes reveals it looking like a white Galaxy SII, so it's time to forget these issues. "I copy you today, you'll copy me tomorrow".

iPad 7" vs Galaxy Tab 7.1???

omegalink

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
It's actually routine to meet with a magistrate to discuss settlement scenarios though usually only the lawyers meet, including general counsel for important cases. But sometimes senior executives attend meetings as will be the case here.

The judge just wants to meet the two CEO's personally for lunch.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
More disputes need to be settled with "sit downs". Less litigation and less money going to lawyers is always a good thing.

I agree but honestly, do you think there aren't just as many lawyers involved and legal fees incurred over this approach than going to court? We're talking two major corporations with millions of dollars at stake. I think it's going to be more or less the same in terms of legal complications. It's not like these guys are going to be discussing it over dinner and agreeing with a handshake.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple has absolutely no reason to negotiate anything with thieves, unless it's under legal compulsion to do so.

Though a simple "discussion" sounds innocuous enough.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
There was a cover piece about this a few weeks back in BusinessWeek that started with the summary of some proceedings in California when the judge openly mocked Apple for bringing on the patent wars. "The last time you were here, you said you had a business relationship - I forget what the number was, $8 million? $8 billion?"

The problem for Apple is that if it doesn't win (or when it doesn't win, as has been the case), it actually impairs the company's position when negotiating cross-licensing deals. Because Steve was too busy throwing a hissy fit and trying to fight a proxy war on Android by crying over rounded corners instead of *actually* taking on Google, it's put the company in a worse position. Tim has done a commendable job of fighting smart battles and ignoring the stupid ones.

Apple has absolutely no reason to negotiate anything with thieves, unless it's under legal compulsion to do so.

Though a simple "discussion" sounds innocuous enough.

The problem is that Apple is complaining over elementary design issues while Samsung countered with legitimate technical patents. For example.... the front of the iPad - ripped off from a 1994 design:

0.jpg

Based on the preliminary ruling from December, taking this to trial wouldn't end well for Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.