Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Are we sure this is a private API?

On the Korg iKaossilator app, it uses Bluetooth to connect to other iOS devices to utilize a proprietary wireless syncing standard [WIST] they came up with.

When using the app, if Bluetooth is turned off the app itself will ask the user if they'd like to turn it on. This happens within the app itself, and without the need to visit the settings page, just like this new app does.

What's the difference, exactly?

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Download it now, even if you don't think you'll use it. It'll be gone by the end of the day, imo.

I bought the HandyLight app for tethering even though I had no use for tethering at the time, but it ended up being very useful a few times.

Yep! I still have non-jailbreak vlc from before it was pulled.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I still say that The One Thing that would make my iOS devices much more useful is a "Profiles" app(?) that would live in the dock, and allow a no-fuss no-muss way to change all settings in one shot, including those for wifi (on/off, preferred network), BT, even cell settings.

One profile for my home, one for my car, one for my office, one for each friend's home, etc. Wifi is pretty useless in my car, for example. A one- or two-action method to toggle it on/off would be great. When I get to work, one action to turn off the BT which I needed for hands-free on my iPhone when in my car, while also now connecting to my office wifi is very handy again.

I don't think Apple will ever do it, though. It's just not their style. Sad, because the PocketPC/WinCE phones I had through most of the 2000s had their problems, but this king of profile management was implemented fairly well.

Don't be so sure they would never do this, it might just be done in a different way than you imagine. Have you ever used location based reminders iOS 5? :)

It seems like my phone could easily know the correct location-based "profile" for when I'm at my home, my work location, or just out and about.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I connected to my bluetooth boom box with no problem at all, worked like a charm, when finished listening to a few songs I turned bletooth off and disconnected without a hitch. It turns my Bluetooth on and off and connects to either my boom box or keyboard, whit never one is turned on.

Last edited:

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Wonder how this got approved. Months ago I submitted apps for toggling BT and WiFi and both were rejected.

It's probably one that slipped past the goalie. Might also depend on how overt the key feature was in the description or title. The one-touch toggle is genius but completely buried and unintuitive to figure out. Had I not read this article, I'd never know how to do that.

They also sort of tout this as a bluetooth chat app, so maybe that helped bury it's purpose?

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
This is sorely needed. I would use this an I wish Apple offered it. Here's why I need to change bluetooth quickly:

1. I rarely need it, but when I do, it's for my ear-piece.
2. When I do need it, I need it urgently.
3. Bluetooth drains you battery faster, so I'd rather have it OFF most of the time, to be turned on only when needed.
4. Bluetooth can interfere with other devices.

So my use case is simple. I want to have a long conversation with my ear piece, but I want bluetooth OFF most of the time for the above reasons. To turn it on for the call, then to turn it off afterwards, is CONVOLUTED.

Just bought it– in case they pull this thing.

1. Leave it on.
2. Leave it on.
3. No, its drain on battery is negligible. Leave it on.
4. Do you care to substantiate this statement with serious references? Or did you just read it on the internet?

So, the use case is simple: LEAVE THE FRICKING THING ON!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Yep! I still have non-jailbreak vlc from before it was pulled.

Me too. I use it on an almost daily basis on my train journey.

Downloaded and installed this one too as it would be useful for the time I actually use the car!

I don't know how this got through Apples approval process.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Don't be so sure they would never do this, it might just be done in a different way than you imagine. Have you ever used location based reminders iOS 5? :)

It seems like my phone could easily know the correct location-based "profile" for when I'm at my home, my work location, or just out and about.

Agreed! I like the idea that services and features can be turned off by location or context. They sort of do this with Wifi auto-connecting to networks you have already accepted. But it could be so much cooler and deeper integration. For example, when I am near home: text my wife that I will be there shortly. When I am near the grocery store– once a week– tell me to pick up milk.

kbade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Me too. I use it on an almost daily basis on my train journey.

Downloaded and installed this one too as it would be useful for the time I actually use the car!

I don't know how this got through Apples approval process.

Can you try to actually use this to connect and let us know if it works? Given my tests, see previous posts, it does't seem to actually turn the bluetooth on...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I think Bluetooth is the worst technology ever, especially that it's faster to just use a cable for most things, considering that you have to enable Bluetooth on both devices, then authorize the transfer on both, and then disable Bluetooth again.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I think Bluetooth is the worst technology ever, especially that it's faster to just use a cable for most things, considering that you have to enable Bluetooth on both devices, then authorize the transfer on both, and then disable Bluetooth again.

It's fantastic for A2DP stereo music. We have Philips Fidelio Android speaker dock which also works fine with my iPad and my Windows Phone thanks to Bluetooth.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
1. Leave it on.
2. Leave it on.
3. No, its drain on battery is negligible. Leave it on.
4. Do you care to substantiate this statement with serious references? Or did you just read it on the internet?

So, the use case is simple: LEAVE THE FRICKING THING ON!

I have a specific case where this little app will come in very handy. Using Siri in my car. In all 3 of my vehicles, hitting the home/Siri button will bring up Siri, but the audio is routed through the same system as hands-free calls. You would think this wouldn't be a problem except Siri has a very hard time understanding me over road noise when the car is in motion. Things like "read my new text" become an exercise in frustration.

No doubt it's the fault of the system in my cars, but nonetheless, it gives me fits.

Easily disabling/enabling BT so I can use Siri accurately in the car and not have to look at the screen - even if I'm not the one driving - is something that will come in handy for me.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Can you try to actually use this to connect and let us know if it works? Given my tests, see previous posts, it does't seem to actually turn the bluetooth on...

It turns Bluetooth on and off, but I am yet to try in my car. You need to have Bluetooth turned on within the settings app first, then use the app to turn on and off.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Bluetooth 2.1 is terrible for file transfers. It works great for audio, as I can leave BT on and when I get in my car I can start playing music without even taking my phone out of my pocket.

BT 3.0 +HS allows the use of Wifi for file transfers, so BT is just used to create an ad-hoc connection then wifi is used to actually transfer data, which is much faster. I'm not sure if Apple implements the High Speed section in their 4.0 BT chips, but there isn't really a way to transfer from a MBA to iPad/iPhone via bluetooth right now to test.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
So much for my genius million dollar app idea, although I have to say ever since getting the 4s with Bluetooth 4.0 the battery drain is almost non existent and therefore my need for an App to toggle BT's power has faded away.

----------

I have a specific case where this little app will come in very handy. Using Siri in my car. In all 3 of my vehicles, hitting the home/Siri button will bring up Siri, but the audio is routed through the same system as hands-free calls. You would think this wouldn't be a problem except Siri has a very hard time understanding me over road noise when the car is in motion. Things like "read my new text" become an exercise in frustration.

No doubt it's the fault of the system in my cars, but nonetheless, it gives me fits.

Easily disabling/enabling BT so I can use Siri accurately in the car and not have to look at the screen - even if I'm not the one driving - is something that will come in handy for me.

I could not agree with you more and I have the same fits. Siri should have an audio source option similar to phone calls when a Bluetooth connection is active.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
When I was on 5.01 I was using that backdoor solution that was a springboard icon that pointed to the browser with a javascript, and it called a system function (you had to initially install a settings update).

I bailed as I was figuring it would get “patched” and I didn’t want to become reliant on it, but I might try it again (I’m on 5.1 now).

It’s for FWIW:

http://brdrck.me/settings

Worked great, to quickly access the proper settings item directly from the springboard (though didn’t directly toggle, just a shortcut). Was nice for BT which is sort of buried.

RelentlessFruit

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
UK
Works for me :)

For those that are suggesting "leave it on" that's fine, good for you.

If however you have any sort of security background or system hardening tendencies you will, by default, want anything you don't use turned off (particularly services that broadcast!).

Apples implementation of Bluetooth doesn't allow me to make my device "undiscoversble" and until it does I will only activate Bluetooth when I need it :D

Minor point really but thought it was worth mentioning as there's more motivation to turn off Bluetooth than just to conserve battery ;)

Star Brood

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Berlin, Germany
This is a pretty bad fall. First, that the feature is only now in existence. Second, that it costs a buck to install.

I've had this one button toggle for the whole life of my android phone. So it was not only free but already installed.

The two hundred dollar developer fee has got to end. It limits simple solutions like this. There's no reason this app should be proprietary.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
It's not really "much" simpler. I guess we're assuming starting from the home screen with the setting or this app visible. So the options are:

iOS Settings:
Settings --> General --> Bluetooth --> on/off
This app (auto-toggle feature off)
App --> on/off
This app (auto-toggle feature on)
App

But Settings remembers my last location, so if I most recently toggled bluetooth then its just:
Settings --> on/off

So it's just a one tap difference... that is simpler... but only a little simpler. ;)

Not true.
IOS forgets that you were on the bluetooth setting page within minutes.

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
and its still one of my favourite apps. Unless there's another app that will play all my video files? It will be a sad day when an OS update prevents VLC from working!

I'm wondering why hasn't anyone tried to come up with a replacement app, one that doesn't have the licensing problem that got VLC pulled?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.