Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:17 PM   #76
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

quite frankly i'm surprised that this hasn't been pulled yet. apple really need to make it easier to turn wifi and bluetooth on and off, its one of my biggest pet peeves with iOS.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:39 PM   #77
Vundu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by guspasho View Post
I'm wondering why hasn't anyone tried to come up with a replacement app, one that doesn't have the licensing problem that got VLC pulled?
AVPlayer
Vundu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:56 PM   #78
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
I'm wondering why hasn't anyone tried to come up with a replacement app, one that doesn't have the licensing problem that got VLC pulled?
1, it was a licensing problem. Apple blocked multimedia players "only" in the first 1.5 years of AppStore - but not after that. (VLC is from H2 of 2010.)

2, most of the current (better) multimedia players in the AppStore (and Cydia) are far better than VLC. (And better than even its current Cydia version, which isn't at all better than the ex-AppStore version.) You might want to take a look at, say, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf-cG...layer_embedded (linked from the article http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/te...and-subtitle-p ) to see how it compares, codec speed/efficiency/quality-wise, to current top-of-the-line multimedia players. (Needless to say, VLC is on the right. Yes, VLC is waaaaaaaaaay worse.)

As is also mentioned in the article, the chart of the forthcoming Multimedia bible is already online. (Direct link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/htm...4-mm-chart.ods ; it's in OpenOffice format. Let me know if you absolutely can't read it and need, say, a PDF or HTML version.) While the chart is pretty rudimentary, the first column is pretty self-explanatory already. I really recommend the 5th row ("Verdict (In a word)") for a start. (Of course, if you have special codec / config / streaming needs, you'll also want to take a closer look at the other cells / rows as well.)
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:56 PM   #79
Dhelsdon
macrumors 65816

Siri does it for me
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:57 PM   #80
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
When I was on 5.01 I was using that backdoor solution that was a springboard icon that pointed to the browser with a javascript, and it called a system function (you had to initially install a settings update).

I bailed as I was figuring it would get ďpatchedĒ and I didnít want to become reliant on it, but I might try it again (Iím on 5.1 now).

Itís for FWIW:

http://brdrck.me/settings

Worked great, to quickly access the proper settings item directly from the springboard (though didnít directly toggle, just a shortcut). Was nice for BT which is sort of buried.
No longer works under 5.1.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:01 PM   #81
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vundu View Post
AVPlayer
AVPlayer(HD) is indeed good, but I'd say there are still better alternatives; for example, XBMC (for JB'n devices), GoodPlayer or EC Player (the latter if you need MKV HW playback.) (Check out the chart mentioned in my prev post.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben View Post
and its still one of my favourite apps. Unless there's another app that will play all my video files? It will be a sad day when an OS update prevents VLC from working!
Forget VLC. Compared to current multimedia players (even in the AppStore), it has disastrous performance. It's one of the worst players now on iOS.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:14 PM   #82
dancolman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I would love this for Wi-Fi! I can't count the number of times I've gotten stuck on a Wi-Fi network that isn't working right, either the signal is too low, or it's bogged down with users, or has no Internet access.

guspasho,

go into settings > wifi > the network you dont like > click 'forget this network'.

Your phone/pad will stop trying to connect to it, and you'll be able to use 3g. You do not need to turn off wifi to fix this problem.
dancolman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:31 PM   #83
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

I don't understand this. How can an app like this get approved (if only briefly) and yet a sound profile app can't?

I would kill for a bb like sound profile app!!
BlendedFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:42 PM   #84
buddybd
macrumors 6502

Times like this makes me glad I always JB.
buddybd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:44 PM   #85
drewsof07
macrumors 68000

SB settings provides all this and more from any page of my JB 5.0.1
drewsof07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:49 PM   #86
MarkLal
macrumors regular

Thumbs up Thanks to MR...

Just downloaded it and it's a simple but an efficient app which will end up saving me a lot of time in the long run given the number of times I need to toggle the BT on/off.
Thanks to MR for reporting it, or else I wouldn't have found out until much later.

MarkLal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:21 PM   #87
Black107
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsof07 View Post
sb settings provides all this and more from any page of my jb 5.0.1
+1
Black107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:32 PM   #88
PeteJames
macrumors regular

Already exists for android - so does a wifi one, 3g one etc.
PeteJames is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:40 PM   #89
Invincibilizer
macrumors 6502a

Jailbroken with Sbsettings........

Nothing special about this app and it costs money..

mind boggling
Invincibilizer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:48 PM   #90
DrStern
macrumors member

Maybe it isn't a violation

Maybe the app doesn't "directly control bluetooth" at all. Maybe it just translates a simple user action into the multi-step API commands without bringing up the GUI, so it completes in the background.

I haven't read the agreement, but if the application does not directly control bluetoooth, but instead simply offers an alternate interface for accessing the OS's existing bluetooth controls, which seems likely to me, then this whole "its going to be gone by tomorrow" thing is much ado about nothing.

But I'm no programmer, so I bought it anyway.
DrStern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:12 PM   #91
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Tipple tap home and I have access to everything.

Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:23 PM   #92
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
No longer works under 5.1.
Thanks for the heads up. I suspected it was going away pretty soon (when I originally installed it) and since I generally just like to keep up with OEM updates, I removed it even before the 5.1 upgrade.

I donít want a whole widget-o-rama, I find theyíre not that useful (I wound up running my Atrix super minimal), but Iíd love a few additional widgets/extensions in the notification bar, just like the weather or stock ticker.

Just allow for 3-4 rows, and make a simple UI interface to choose/order them ... Iím looking at you iOS 6
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:47 PM   #93
Jynto
macrumors 6502

This is rather embarassing for iOS, as it has been a standard feature of Android for years. There's even a widget for it.

I am not trying to imply that Android is superior. Indeed it pales in comparison to some of the things iOS can do. I'm just saying that the world's two best mobile operating systems can learn a lot from each other.
Jynto is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:56 PM   #94
sazivad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynto View Post
I am not trying to imply that Android is superior. Indeed it pales in comparison to some of the things iOS can do. I'm just saying that the world's two best mobile operating systems can learn a lot from each other.
Well said sir, well said.

As for the app, I got it, but who knows if I'll use it. Whatever, only a buck
sazivad is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:59 PM   #95
memco
macrumors regular

For those of you looking for a solution, but not willing to pay $0.99 for it, you can create links to the settings on your homescreen. It doesn't allow direct toggling, but you can link straight to your BT, WiFi, etc. settings. No need to jailbreak, no need to pay for an app.

NOTE: apparently does not work with iOS 5.1.
memco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:47 PM   #96
b166er
macrumors 68020

as may have said, SBsettings. Toggles for wifi/bluetooth/3G/etc should be standard in iOS. They would integrate extremely well into the otherwise useless (imo) notification center. Toggles have been standard on many phones since before the iPhone even existed. SBsettings is the #1 reason I jailbreak, if Apple ever includes something like it in iOS I would probably be cured of jailbreaking.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:33 PM   #97
dmost714
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
What I don't get is how it takes Apple months and months to evaluate and approve one app, and then something like this gets through as if no one ever laid eyes on it.

Very weird.
95% of apps are reviewed within 5 business days..
99% of app upgrades.
dmost714 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:01 PM   #98
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post
Or just JB and use SBSettings.

This really shows how dumb it is to toggle certain things in iOS.
Or just leave your doors unlocked at your house and twitter that you are leaving for the weekend.

"Jail" "break" mean that you are "breaking" the BSD "jails" that protect your phone from third party apps running amok. You are effectively turning your security into swiss cheese.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:43 PM   #99
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
Or just leave your doors unlocked at your house and twitter that you are leaving for the weekend.

"Jail" "break" mean that you are "breaking" the BSD "jails" that protect your phone from third party apps running amok. You are effectively turning your security into swiss cheese.
While, potentially, it's indeed a security risk, an app indeed running amok still remains to be seen.

I've long been jailbreaking on several of my numerous iOS devices and have always been installing tons of Cydia stuff (even ones without dependable references / reviews). No problems / viruses / trojans encountered.
Menneisyys2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:48 PM   #100
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

New App Allow File Transfer over Bluetooth With One Touch. Now that's news for iPhone!!
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion