Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1
koigirl
macrumors 6502

Quickie review of iFrogz Summit for iPad 3

Okay, I'm no expert but someone on another thread asked me to do this. I had iFrogz Summit for my iPad 2 and really liked it (it held up to hard use very well - my husband inherited it) so I preordered one for my iPad 3 and patiently waited for release.

I'm a person who always chooses color over B/W and this one comes in various colors so that was part of the appeal. I wish they had more options to complement the white iPad though.

The back cover is a fairly tight, good fit which offers good protection. What I like about this case is that it's protective without being bulky or heavy. It feels stable and substantial. I have dropped my iPad 2 in the iFrogz case onto the wood floor in our house several times without any ill effects. The front cover's lining seems to have changed a bit: the inside material has a sort of wooly feel where the former model was more of a microfiber suede feel. The wooly fabric looks and feels good, though. The cover is pretty stiff which I like in a folio case so that it lays completely flat on your lap when using cinema view angles. There are three levels: the most upright is good for desktop use while I use the middle angle for couch surfing and the lowest angle when I'm using my iPad on the kitchen countertop for recipes, etc. One complaint I do have is that the grooves are very shallow and the iPad is prone to shifting out of position. I think this is because they were concentrating on keeping the cover thin and light but stable and something had to give. The Targus cases have deeper grooves but they are also thicker and have more padding and felt too bulky for me.

For typing, I flip the cover to the back and the screen is elevated at a perfect angle. There is a little give in this position but not enough to be irritating or affect typing - the stiffness is just right.

The magnet on/off works perfectly and does not engage when you flip the cover to the back. I have noticed it clicking on and off a few times as I carried my iPad under my arm around the house but I don't think it would be an issue in a bag. The alternative is a case with a clip or flap and I prefer not having one. The card holder on the inside cover does not leave impressions on the screen. While I didn't think I would like the stylus holder tab they added to this model, I have not found it obtrusive at all and actually used it as an excuse to order that Bamboo stylus I'd been wanting! All iPad ports and buttons are easily accessible and the camera hole, while not huge, has not affected the few photos I've taken with it. I use my 4s more for photos anyway.

What else can I say? It's a low-profile, sleek, light cover that doesn't take away from the iPad's slim design but protects it very well. The improvements to this model are actually improvements. It's a very good buy for under $40 which is what I paid via Amazon. The materials used, case design and construction convey quality - it is very well-constructed as befits the iPad.
koigirl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2
ElDogman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by koigirl View Post
Okay, I'm no expert but someone on another thread asked me to do this. I had iFrogz Summit for my iPad 2 and really liked it (it held up to hard use very well - my husband inherited it) so I preordered one for my iPad 3 and patiently waited for release.

I'm a person who always chooses color over B/W and this one comes in various colors so that was part of the appeal. I wish they had more options to complement the white iPad though.

The back cover is a fairly tight, good fit which offers good protection. What I like about this case is that it's protective without being bulky or heavy. It feels stable and substantial. I have dropped my iPad 2 in the iFrogz case onto the wood floor in our house several times without any ill effects. The front cover's lining seems to have changed a bit: the inside material has a sort of wooly feel where the former model was more of a microfiber suede feel. The wooly fabric looks and feels good, though. The cover is pretty stiff which I like in a folio case so that it lays completely flat on your lap when using cinema view angles. There are three levels: the most upright is good for desktop use while I use the middle angle for couch surfing and the lowest angle when I'm using my iPad on the kitchen countertop for recipes, etc. One complaint I do have is that the grooves are very shallow and the iPad is prone to shifting out of position. I think this is because they were concentrating on keeping the cover thin and light but stable and something had to give. The Targus cases have deeper grooves but they are also thicker and have more padding and felt too bulky for me.

For typing, I flip the cover to the back and the screen is elevated at a perfect angle. There is a little give in this position but not enough to be irritating or affect typing - the stiffness is just right.

The magnet on/off works perfectly and does not engage when you flip the cover to the back. I have noticed it clicking on and off a few times as I carried my iPad under my arm around the house but I don't think it would be an issue in a bag. The alternative is a case with a clip or flap and I prefer not having one. The card holder on the inside cover does not leave impressions on the screen. While I didn't think I would like the stylus holder tab they added to this model, I have not found it obtrusive at all and actually used it as an excuse to order that Bamboo stylus I'd been wanting! All iPad ports and buttons are easily accessible and the camera hole, while not huge, has not affected the few photos I've taken with it. I use my 4s more for photos anyway.

What else can I say? It's a low-profile, sleek, light cover that doesn't take away from the iPad's slim design but protects it very well. The improvements to this model are actually improvements. It's a very good buy for under $40 which is what I paid via Amazon. The materials used, case design and construction convey quality - it is very well-constructed as befits the iPad.
thanks very much for your review! under $40? sounds much better than the $60 the ifrogz site posts up!
ElDogman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:50 PM   #3
koigirl
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDogman View Post
thanks very much for your review! under $40? sounds much better than the $60 the ifrogz site posts up!
IDK - maybe because I preordered?
koigirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories