Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As documented by Corkipedia, four Greenpeace activists climbed to the roof of Apple's offices in Cork, Ireland today, posting signage and distributing leaflets in an attempt to push Apple to adopt cleaner energy sources for its data centers. The protest, which lasted approximately an hour, came a day after Greenpeace blasted Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft for relying heavily on dirty coal power for their data centers.

greenpeace_cloud_protest_ireland.jpg

It appears, however, that Greenpeace's assessment of Apple's energy use was based on flawed assumptions, and Apple stands by its claims that its new data center in Maiden, North Carolina and a forthcoming one in Prineville, Oregon will be among the cleanest in the world.

Greenpeace estimated that the Maiden facility would require 100 megawatts of power at peak capacity, claiming that Apple's proposed solar and fuel cell facilities at the plant would provide only 10% of the center's energy needs. The group's report also appears to assume that the Prineville facility will run on dirty power sources, and those two assumptions were combined to give Apple a low "clean energy index" score of 15.3% and estimate Apple's share of data center power usage derived from coal at an industry-high 55%.

Apple quickly responded to the Greenpeace report, issuing statements to several media outlets claiming that the Maiden data center requires only 20 megawatts of power at peak capacity and that the renewable energy sources being built at the site will provide at least 60% of the center's power needs. In addition, Apple notes that the Prineville data center is planned to run on 100% renewable energy.
"Our data center in North Carolina will draw about 20 megawatts at full capacity, and we are on track to supply more than 60% of that power on-site from renewable sources including a solar farm and fuel cell installation which will each be the largest of their kind in the country," Apple said in a statement. "We believe this industry-leading project will make Maiden the greenest data center ever built, and it will be joined next year by our new facility in Oregon running on 100% renewable energy."
For its part, Greenpeace believes that Apple is continuing to obfuscate its energy numbers and release only those that make the company appear in a positive light. And so despite Apple's claims regarding significant efforts to minimize the impact of its data centers on the environment, Greenpeace believes that the company should be doing more to publicly lead the way toward further adoption of renewable energy sources.

Article Link: Greenpeace Activists Protest at Apple's Irish Offices over Data Center Energy Use

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I think this is good in the long run, most companies do hide their numbers and hopefully this will "help" make them search for cleaner energy sources.

Dragado

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Datacenters are green. Massive servers that replace thousands of servers that would be required otherwise... It's like mass transit. The thing itself uses a massive amount of juice, but the alternative is far worse. I suppose it's just short-sightedness on their part?

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I feel like there are much more environmentally-damaging companies they could be protesting instead of Apple, which actually has an amazing record for a computer company.

Kleptomaniac

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Ireland
Good old Guardi!

Just standing around doing nothing as always lol.

Kind of the wrong place to be vandalising, considering all the cork offices do is customer service.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Greenpeace seems to have made a lot of assumptions and estimations about all this energy use without actually knowing anything for a fact. Why don't they do their homework and come back with actual numbers

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
38178216.jpg

"Apple uses 100 megawatts of power." - Greenpeace

"We actually use 20 megawatts..." - Apple

"You're wrong, look it up." - Greenpeace

"Here are the numbers, look." - Apple

"No, you're wrong." - Greenpeace

"And it only uses 40% of non-renewable energy." - Apple

"No." - Greenpeace

"And the data center--" - Apple

"No, no." - Greenpeace

"--you are protesting--" -Apple

"No, no, no!" - Greenpeace

"--at uses 100% renewables!" -Apple

"No, no, no, no. Yeeawwwwwww!" - Greenpeace

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
So what else is Apple supposed to do other than try to be the cleanest cloud facilities in the country? Isn't that already a lofty, industry-leading goal? What else does Greenpeace want? (Hint: I'm willing to bet it's unreasonable!)

We'd run our data centers on positive vibes and rainbows if we could. I just don't understand the pressure on the single company who seems to actually be addressing the situation. Google also seems to address it, but what about EVERYONE ELSE? Go after them!

Greenpeace routinely retards the green movement by acting NUTS. I'm very much for green initiatives and my household lives by example even when it costs us more out of pocket. Greenpeace just rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:

ThePimento

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Texas
I wonder how much power Greenpeace used in creating those protest signs, and copying their fliers they hand out. Someone should protest Greenpeace. Buncha no-good hippies.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I feel like there are much more environmentally-damaging companies they could be protesting instead of Apple, which actually has an amazing record for a computer company.
True, but Greenpeace are publicity hounds, and as such, they will protest Apple because it gets them more media coverage. They could protest ABB, United Technologies, or RR Donnelley and the media might mention it on page 7.

The end result of their efforts benefits the planet. How they go about it is frequently irksome.

I support Greenpeace's mission, but not their tactics. Hence, they get my emotional support, but no money from my wallet.

Last edited:

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Maybe they need to team up with PETA and have a party. I suggest roasted seal over a coal fire.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

But that wouldn't get them the publicity that calling Apple out, rightly or wrongly does. While Greenpeace started with some laudable goals I think they've come to value publicity more than developing viable solutions to the issues they raise.

----------

But Apple's Irish offices are powered by Guinness.

And I'd say everything in the Republic is green as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.