Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1
LanceFoxMcCloud
macrumors newbie

Really need help with 3gs

Hey guys! Yes I'm new, very new. So I'll keep this short and simple.

I worked for a long time to save up the $$ to purchase a used 8 gig iPhone 3gs that I want to use on Straight Talk's network. I got the phone, ordered ST's sim, got the sim, activated, phone makes and receives calls and txt's... but I CAN NOT get the data to work. I called straight talk and they told me I HAVE to unlock. Something I wasnt very "prepared" to do if you will. I've been researching ALL DAY, and am still on square 1.

My firmware is 5.1 (which yes I realize may be the problem but I have high hopes that I am just ill informed and someone has already figured this out.)
My baseband is 05.16.05

I've come across two sites that charge $25 and unlock and jailbreak for you. They talk about a refund if it doesnt work, and they claim to be able to unlock and jailbreak 5.1..... First one is EasyRa1n RC 5, other one is "quickiphoneunlocking.com"

My question, guys, is I just want to be able to use the net, make and receive calls and msgs.... my heads about to explode with information... will someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction with this? Thank you soo much to whoever helps in anyway whatsoever!!!

Cheers!

~Fox
LanceFoxMcCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:46 PM   #2
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Straight Talk is a network affiliated with AT&T, there shouldn't be a need to unlock it. Your voice service should work when popping in the sim. For data, you'll probably have to edit the apn settings.

I could be wrong with this info (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, stay away from those unlocking sites. All of them are scams.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
LanceFoxMcCloud
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Straight Talk is a network affiliated with AT&T, there shouldn't be a need to unlock it. Your voice service should work when popping in the sim. For data, you'll probably have to edit the apn settings.

I could be wrong with this info (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, stay away from those unlocking sites. All of them are scams.
Ok you're absolutely correct along the lines of what straight talk instructs you to do in their "activation package" if you will,... BUT!!! NOWHERE in my 3gs running 5.1, can I find where to edit those apn settings

I had read a few mixed reviews on those sites (sometimes its difficult to differentiate if its a real customer or someone from the sites themselves) and was very sketchy about using their product in the first place. So you just clarified to me thats not a very good idea, thanks!

But back to the phone issue, I'll be honest with you guys here, I'm no dummy when it comes to this stuff, and any technology in general that is.... but this has me very trumped. I'm thinking its not possible to edit the apn on 5.1? If so that really sucks...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4
LanceFoxMcCloud
macrumors newbie

I guess my next question if that's the case, that I can not edit the apn on 5.1.. I've been reading you're also unable to downgrade from 5.1 if I don't have the correct files? (remember I bought this phone used, and haven't had an iPhone synced to the computer I'm using since 2010 so I don't have the sh files.)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:46 PM   #5
labman
macrumors 604

correct you can not downgrade without shsh blobs. Quite simply that's what they are for. And they are individual to each device. Also downgrading firmware will not downgrade firmware if that's what your goal is. Also fyi the iPad baseband 6.15 will fry your iphone radio making it worthless. Your best option is to contact the original carrier about if they can unlock it. You can also use redsn0w or tinyumbrella to check for any when blobs.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
moonman239
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
correct you can not downgrade without shsh blobs. Quite simply that's what they are for. And they are individual to each device. Also downgrading firmware will not downgrade firmware if that's what your goal is. Also fyi the iPad baseband 6.15 will fry your iphone radio making it worthless. Your best option is to contact the original carrier about if they can unlock it. You can also use redsn0w or tinyumbrella to check for any when blobs.
This.

I'd like to add that there's a 5.1 jailbreak, so you don't need to pay any of those potential scammers to do the job for you. Just download the latest redsn0w. If your bootrom is the old one, then you'll get an untethered jailbreak. If not, you'll get a tethered jailbreak.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:10 PM   #7
LanceFoxMcCloud
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
This.

I'd like to add that there's a 5.1 jailbreak, so you don't need to pay any of those potential scammers to do the job for you. Just download the latest redsn0w. If your bootrom is the old one, then you'll get an untethered jailbreak. If not, you'll get a tethered jailbreak.
Ok... I'm attempting to find out what bootrom i have right now, but a jailbreak still wont help me with my data issue correct??

I just got off the phone with at&t. submitted at case for them to unlock the phone for me, told me I will know by the 27th via email... so we'll see on that one.

Just wish I could unlock this beast and start surfing the net with it.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
sfphoto
macrumors regular

Have you seen this thread? Could be using the "iphone configuration utility" would work but you might need to find the Straight Talk entry information.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1315762
sfphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:21 PM   #9
sfphoto
macrumors regular

Maybe this will help:

Find the serial # for your iPhone. To do this go to Settings>General>About.

The important digits are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits. The 3rd digit indicates the year it was made. For example, 9 for 2009 or 0 for 2010. The 4th and 5th digit tell what week of that year it was made. An old bootrom is before the 40th week of 2009. So, if it's below "940" then it is an old bootrom. If it's after that, then it's a new bootrom (like when the 3rd digit is 0).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceFoxMcCloud View Post
Ok... I'm attempting to find out what bootrom i have right now
sfphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:48 PM   #10
LanceFoxMcCloud
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfphoto View Post
Have you seen this thread? Could be using the "iphone configuration utility" would work but you might need to find the Straight Talk entry information.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1315762
Ok so I've determined I have the new baseband based on your info given Thanks for that!

Now yes, that becomes the challenge finding the apn username and pass for straight talk. However, I dont even think my iPhone Configuration Utility is functioning correctly because it will not allow me to even try and create a "New" Configuration profile.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:27 AM   #11
wcaldwell
macrumors newbie

Exclamation You CAN downgrade with out sh blobs

This only works for 3GS I think, but you can downgrade to 4.1 without sh blobs using tiny umbrella on your mac. If you are interested in learning how let me know and I will tell you the steps!
wcaldwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:59 AM   #12
BlueRaider
macrumors regular

If its an 8GB 3GS then it definitely has the newer fixed BootROM. Downgrade the phone to iOS 4.1, jailbreak, install tetherme and edit the APN Settings to use the phone on Straighttalk. After jail breaking open Cydia and check to see if the phone has ever had SHSH blobs cached automatically by Cydia for iOS 5.0-5.0.1. If so upgrade and rejailbreak
BlueRaider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:24 AM   #13
wanzer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaider View Post
If its an 8GB 3GS then it definitely has the newer fixed BootROM. Downgrade the phone to iOS 4.1, jailbreak, install tetherme and edit the APN Settings to use the phone on Straighttalk. After jail breaking open Cydia and check to see if the phone has ever had SHSH blobs cached automatically by Cydia for iOS 5.0-5.0.1. If so upgrade and rejailbreak
Exactly. Then follow this link to setup the rest of the data settings on your phone.
wanzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks