Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Direct drag and drop via Expose is now GONE.

That's incorrect or at the very least misleading. You can still drag objects to any specific window visible in Mission Control or App Exposé. And App Exposé can be activated via MC without having to drop the object first. You can also drag objects to Dock icons directly, thereby (by hovering over the icon) activating App Exposé.

(This is all possible in Lion and, presumably, Mountain Lion.).

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Meanwhile, Windows 8 will be Windows 7 + Metro UI for tablets (completely useless for a desktop computer and even for a laptop) and will probably be priced +100$.

Apple will be releasing a really breakthrough computer OS this summer. It's going to be epic.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
That's incorrect or at the very least misleading. You can still drag objects to any specific window visible in Mission Control or App Exposé. And App Exposé can be activated via MC without having to drop the object first. You can also drag objects to Dock icons directly, thereby (by hovering over the icon) activating App Exposé.

(This is all possible in Lion and, presumably, Mountain Lion.).

How do you activate app expose from MC?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Wow, with that list and they are expecting a summer release? Lion had only 4 DP's before going GM. Ugh.

Apple also appears to be continuing to put a fair amount of effort into getting Game Center up and running on OS X with the new build.

Me thinks Apple should work on a stable OS instead of this iOS ****. I'm growing tired of iOS being the forefront of everything Apple, I don't care how much $$$ it brings in (heck, they got ~$100 billion in cash!).

Make a stable OS X.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
How do you activate app expose from MC?

I said it could be activated via MC.

Activate a single window in MC by hovering over it with the object you're dragging (or press the space bar to cut out the waiting time), then go into App Exposé (using the gesture, keyboard shortcut etc.). At no time do you have to drop the object you're dragging.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Meanwhile, Windows 8 will be Windows 7 + Metro UI for tablets (completely useless for a desktop computer and even for a laptop) and will probably be priced +100$.

Apple will be releasing a really breakthrough computer OS this summer. It's going to be epic.

I dont think so...for me Lion was quite a fail, and Im getting worried ML gonna be, too. :(

----------

And which beta OS is ok to use in any critical production environment exactly?

Did he said, anything about usage in critical production enviroment? He just said that all the betas sucks, even those from Apple. ;)

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011

Ok, I'll get bashed for this, but seriously?

Saying Windows 8 is Windows 7 plus whatever... That's just ludicrous. Without getting into a lot of details. Yes, I'm a PC guy, but I don't bash OSX. If you intend to bash a new version of Windows, please try to at least pretend that you've read something about it... If not, just stick to bashing the old versions.

Oh and Mountain Lion, ~30 new features = breakthrough and epic?

I know there are some Kool-Aid drinkers on here, but dude, there just ain't enough in the world....

Leopard or Snow Leopard, I might have agreed with you, Lion and Mountain Lion... eh, I haven't been all that impressed so far... Lion wasn't a major upgrade, but the price was reasonable. ML still seems to have a lot of bugs and not all that many new features to brag about... None of which, that I've read about, so far seem to be a must have, for me at least.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Me thinks Apple should work on a stable OS instead of this iOS ****. I'm growing tired of iOS being the forefront of everything Apple, I don't care how much $$$ it brings in (heck, they got ~$100 billion in cash!).

Make a stable OS X.

I'm done with this iOS bs. It's a desktop, not an iPad. I don't need to swipe through dozens of desktops to get to the one I want, and MC is horrible for multitasking compared to 10.5/6 with Expose/Spaces (thankfully ReSpace will fill that void). Don't misunderstand, I like my iPhone/iPad, but it seems half arsed to slowly integrate the two, most clients find that Lion feels unpolished since Apple is slowly iOS-ifying it. Keep them separate!

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I don't need to swipe through dozens of desktops to get to the one I want
Indeed you don't. Activate MC and click on the Desktop you want (or alt-click if you don't want to switch directly but just see what's on there), or just use keyboard shortcuts:
shortcuts.png

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Ok, I'll get bashed for this, but seriously?

Saying Windows 8 is Windows 7 plus whatever... That's just ludicrous. Without getting into a lot of details. Yes, I'm a PC guy, but I don't bash OSX. If you intend to bash a new version of Windows, please try to at least pretend that you've read something about it... If not, just stick to bashing the old versions.

Oh and Mountain Lion, ~30 new features = breakthrough and epic?

I know there are some Kool-Aid drinkers on here, but dude, there just ain't enough in the world....

Leopard or Snow Leopard, I might have agreed with you, Lion and Mountain Lion... eh, I haven't been all that impressed so far... Lion wasn't a major upgrade, but the price was reasonable. ML still seems to have a lot of bugs and not all that many new features to brag about... None of which, that I've read about, so far seem to be a must have, for me at least.

I've more than read about it. I'm using it for a while already.

What about new features in Windows 8? What have you found?

I haven't found a lot of new stuff, honestly. I won't touch Metro since I'm using a COMPUTER, not a tablet. Also a thing that I don't understand is the fact that the WIndows Store is limited to only run on Metro. Adding insult to injury, apps from the Windows Store won't be usable on Aero. What's that supposed to be?

I honestly think that Microsoft said: "ok, we have a lot of market share on PC, let's make Windows 8 a good tablet OS. Screw PC user, let's just remove the start button and a few really minor UI tweaks and we'll call it Windows 8 for PC while we'll be focussing our energy and time on tablet users".

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Indeed you don't. Activate MC and click on the Desktop you want (or alt-click if you don't want to switch directly but just see what's on there), or just use keyboard shortcuts:

True, but not the same. With Spaces calling up the grid allowed moving windows between desktops much easier, now if you move a window to another desktop, you can't move it again in MC, you have to leave MC and re-enter to move it. Plus horizontal desktop switching, even in MC, is less efficient. With Spaces, you only need one move: call it up, see your grid, move windows around accordingly, select your desktop (it even showed dual displays), and done. Plus assigning apps to certain desktops is better than moving to the each desktop, selecting the app in the Dock (assuming it's there first, so now you have to place it in your dock to assign it), assigning it to that desktop, then repeat for each app/desktop. Also, there is no indicator in your menu bar re: what space you are in.

App Expose doesn't replace All Windows either. I get that MC tried to organize Expose and Spaces, and in some cases I do like it, but when I have a dozen Safari windows open, and a few emails, coupled with Final Cut Pro running (which it almost always is), etc. it fails to organize my windows in a way that "All Windows" allowed. I just wish Apple would give us the option along with MC.

I have filed bug reports on this since Lion DP1, Apple has acknowledged it as a "known issue", but as other developers have acknowledged, they haven't done anything about it. Neither have they worked on the issue with Safari links disengaging in ML, better OpenGL support, Finder is becoming dated (I wish ZFS+ could have stayed, it was in a Leopard beta we had years ago, but that's neither here nor there), it would be nice to swipe through Finder with the trackpad, Lion is a memory hog (and the justification that if the memory is there why not use it fails, when I have Safari, Mail, Contacts and Cal open with 16GB RAM on my Mac Pro, 50%+ of my RAM shouldn't be taken up, which makes opening and running Final Cut Pro worse than Snow Leopard), etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I said it could be activated via MC.

Activate a single window in MC by hovering over it with the object you're dragging (or press the space bar to cut out the waiting time), then go into App Exposé (using the gesture, keyboard shortcut etc.). At no time do you have to drop the object you're dragging.

That's misleading a bit, but I get your point. Though it is still more annoying than it used to be.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Sounds like this build is rather buggy!

No way. All software of this complexity takes a lot of time and effort to work out the bugs. I would think their full bug report has thousands of items to be worked out before release.

Also, not all bugs get fixed before release, or no software of this complexity would ever get released. Apple needs to have something to meet or beet Windows 8 very soon.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I've more than read about it. I'm using it for a while already.

What about new features in Windows 8? What have you found?

I haven't found a lot of new stuff, honestly. I won't touch Metro since I'm using a COMPUTER, not a tablet. Also a thing that I don't understand is the fact that the WIndows Store is limited to only run on Metro. Adding insult to injury, apps from the Windows Store won't be usable on Aero. What's that supposed to be?

I honestly think that Microsoft said: "ok, we have a lot of market share on PC, let's make Windows 8 a good tablet OS. Screw PC user, let's just remove the start button and a few really minor UI tweaks and we'll call it Windows 8 for PC while we'll be focussing our energy and time on tablet users".

I don't think W8 is a failure, but it's definitely risky and might have a chance of failing to consumer markets. I use iOS and OS X daily, but I still have a part of me that uses windows 7/8, and I have used developer preview and consumer preview. It was like Lion for me but at a much bigger rate, it took time to get used to, but when I finally reverted back to Windows 7, I noticed that I got too used to Windows 8, but not to an extent where I can't revert, but those little features like built in "Mount ISO images" is good, and unlike W7, there's more support for newer ATI cards, and my ATI card got picked up automatically from first boot, whereas I needed to install drivers to get it working in Windows 7. I didn't really use the Metro interface except for Windows button -> Type App Name, and this would filter the apps so I can find the application I'm looking for easily. I like small features like these, I haven't found anything game changing though.

As for Mountain Lion, I can already see note syncing through an app and iMessages being useful to me, again small new features, nothing totally game changing but I will use these two a lot.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
if you move a window to another desktop, you can't move it again in MC, you have to leave MC and re-enter to move it.[/B]
This is not true. Simply option-Click on the desktop you moved the window to, then drag the window back.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
No way. All software of this complexity takes a lot of time and effort to work out the bugs. I would think their full bug report has thousands of items to be worked out before release.

Also, not all bugs get fixed before release, or no software of this complexity would ever get released. Apple needs to have something to meet or beet Windows 8 very soon.

Apple stopped "competing" with Microsoft in the O/S department a long time ago. You just don't realize it. ;)

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
A single checkbox in System Preferences isnt somehow going to make things any different. Here's how it looks like in OS X Lion currently;

Heres how it is in Snow Leopard;

Anyone that knows how to use System Preferences wont find the single extra checkmark any more confusing. The options in OS X change regularly anyway, but Apple has failed miserably to give multitaskers some proper options with Mission Control, that is to say, Expose was fantastic, seeing ALL my open windows ALL AT ONCE by hitting a hot corner gave me the ability to quickly go from Illustrator to Photoshop with hitting any keys or using a trackpad and, this is the big one; without releasing any objects i've selected in Illustrator. Direct drag and drop via Expose is now GONE.
Sorry, but that's all pretty misleading... For starters, you showed the trackpad window, then compared it to the Expose window from SL...

THIS it the actual equivalent window in Lion...

35hkahc.png

and contains most of the options that were present in SL. The one thing that's missing is an option to have the windows "ungrouped", which could, as the other poster said, be accomplished using a checkbox

And unless I've missed something, I can still drag from app to app using Mission Control, in much the same way that I could with Exposé...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.