Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mylifeinfiction

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Truth Be Told, Shemp was no Curly. I Miss Steve.

Tim is cool and all but people are feeling the absence of Steve.

Just something is not right.

Miss You Steve.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Steve Jobs, like Bill Gates (just to irritate a few), have had years to do work so that it can be justified that they are on the list.

Non-techies might not even know how he his, some that loses a lot of influence.

All him saying is to give Tim Cook some time to be on the list on his own merit.

To make an analogy, he "recently" inherited the Enterprise from captain Picard.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Seriously!

Being a successful COO doesn't necessarily make you "influential". If anything I think Tim Cook has shown he has little influence. Steve Jobs was willing to fight for what he believed was right and what he believed Apple stood for; I see Tim Cook more as Obama. He can get the job done but he is willing to deviate from those core values and capitulate if necessary. Any deviation shows you lack influence or killer instinct... we know Steve had both of those!!!!

So, better war than diplomacy...

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Hype List

Tomorrow's great artist, politician, or business man may only be influenced by a couple of people who many may never know.

And that's the real influence (which you can't put on a list).

Like the list of the most influential Hollywood players by one of the Hollywood magazines, it's more a hype list, a list of the flavor of the year.

In this context, Issacson can be on the list, as he's Steve Job's biographer, very much shaping the way Jobs is seen (I'm curious on a non-authorized biography, which we'll see much later than Isaacson's work, as this would take much more research).

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Big :rolleyes: to the ignorant clowns that think Issacson is just an author or historian and only recognize his name because of the Jobs bio. He is president of the Aspen Institute, one of the more prestigious think tanks. So yes, he holds a lot of influence.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
So, better war than diplomacy...

Diplomacy is just a means to stall.

Big :rolleyes: to the ignorant clowns that think Issacson is just an author or historian and only recognize his name because of the Jobs bio. He is president of the Aspen Institute, one of the more prestigious think tanks. So yes, he holds a lot of influence.

Ahh yes "think tanks". Special Interests groups in tow. The downfall of our society are special interests groups.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Pardon me but I don't want to live in a world where Rihanna makes a 100 Most Influential People list.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
So one of the least influential magazines publishes a list of the most influential people. Who cares? Might as well be People magazine.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Very interesting view on diplomacy.

So instead of "stalling", just blow the ***k*ers up.:rolleyes:

Treat of Versailles really did the world well didn't it; and nowhere did I say "just blow people up" in fact nowhere did I even discuss "war". Stop with the assumptions I am talking about business here. Diplomacy in business doesn't exists unless you count Bankruptcy proceeding as Diplomacy.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Cook - ok; but Isaacson? Nothing against him but where does he influence the world by writing bios? These are on important people, granted, but still. Zuckerberg would be more important as Facebook clearly changed things, also Twitter (and I have no account with either).

Isaacson, like every well published author, has considerable influence on the world by how they are able to distort reality to fit their personal perspective and ability to persuade other people to see things the way they want.

He is no different than every other of TV, movie, and news reporter, author, or editor. They are all praised for their ability to get you emotionally involved in what they write. Truth and reality have little to do with anything when there's money involved. Cook and Isaacson know how to make money, and lots of it, so they get high recognition and praise.

----------

And Isaacson isn't even that great of a writer. Ok. Admittingly, I have only read the Jobs Bio - and a few articles he's written. But I don't think he's "all that" at all.

But, he's made a heck of a lot of money. Always follow the money. Money is at the core of everything in the public domain.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I just don't see how Tim Cook has been that influential. I know he has stepped in as CEO previously, but he's still new to the role. He's still utilizing the pipeline that Jobs created.

How exactly are either of these guys influential?

He's the guy who has turned Apple into a total cash cow. He also has much more of sense of ethics and enviro stewardship. I wouldn't be surprised at all if many of 'Steve's accomplishments weren't actually Tim's.

Seriously!

Being a successful COO doesn't necessarily make you "influential". If anything I think Tim Cook has shown he has little influence. Steve Jobs was willing to fight for what he believed was right and what he believed Apple stood for; I see Tim Cook more as Obama. He can get the job done but he is willing to deviate from those core values and capitulate if necessary. Any deviation shows you lack influence or killer instinct... we know Steve had both of those!!!!

Could you explain. I've seen nothing of what you claim.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Huh?

walter isaacson?? He's a hack writer. The Jobs bio was amateurish at best (and this is from someone who finds Jobs' life to be intrinsically interesting!)

As for Isaacson exhibiting "wisdom in choosing subjects whose individual talents have affected all our lives" - he didn't choose Jobs, Jobs chose him.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
As for Isaacson exhibiting "wisdom in choosing subjects whose individual talents have affected all our lives" - he didn't choose Jobs, Jobs chose him.

he_chose_poorly.jpg

Renzatic

Suspended
Treat of Versailles really did the world well didn't it; and nowhere did I say "just blow people up" in fact nowhere did I even discuss "war". Stop with the assumptions I am talking about business here. Diplomacy in business doesn't exists unless you count Bankruptcy proceeding as Diplomacy.

Would you rather Apple be the the tech company that gave us the iPad, or would you prefer Apple to be the litigation machine that used all their might to force Microsoft to rename their Trash Can to the Recycle Bin?

For their sake, I hope their definition of "war" is more in line with the former, rather than the latter. As a litigation machine, their record of battles won isn't exactly something anyone would be proud of.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Would you rather Apple be the the tech company that gave us the iPad, or would you prefer Apple to be the litigation machine that used all their might to force Microsoft to rename their Trash Can to the Recycle Bin?

For their sake, I hope their definition of "war" is more in line with the former, rather than the latter. As a litigation machine, their record of battles won isn't exactly something anyone would be proud of.

Apple is that litigation machine just not with the recycle bin with everything mobile; which is funny seeing how Apple has only been in the game less than 10 years, yet they claim they invented everything. I liked Apple when they were an innovative Computer company. The iPad? Still see no real use over it vs. my Macbook Air.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Tim Cook sure. But Isaacson?

What's wrong with Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography:
http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/walter_isaacson_steve_jobs

Yeah, Gruber's just wrong on this. Isaacson's biography of SJ is excellent.

Gruber wanted the bio to have a different focus, which is fine; Isaacson (and presumably SJ) wanted the focus to be on Jobs's life.

Multiple biographies are written about influential people; it's not like Isaacson has written the only bio that will ever be written. Maybe one will come out that will be more to his liking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.