Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
This looks a lot less buggy than DP2 did.

A few bugs for features people rarely use (Photos in Mail, Back to My Mac, screen recording, DVD player, Help topics) and some FileVault issues that are easily fixed if you're up-to-date?

If you're not an end user and just want to fool around or develop, you'll be fine. I'd also like to note that I spent 6 hours (before being able to get back to restore to a Time Machine backup) trying to fix the mess DP2 left on my 2011 iMac.

JordanLindsay

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Canada
How seamless do you think the new airplay will be with the appletv?

PS:this is my first post, been reading since 2003, long time for me to wait to get in on the fun of posting!

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
This looks a lot less buggy than DP2 did.

A few bugs for features people rarely use (Photos in Mail, Back to My Mac, screen recording, DVD player, Help topics) and some FileVault issues that are easily fixed if you're up-to-date?

If you're not an end user and just want to fool around or develop, you'll be fine. I'd also like to note that I spent 6 hours (before being able to get back to restore to a Time Machine backup) trying to fix the mess DP2 left on my 2011 iMac.

I agree. I couldn't tolerate the bugs in DP2, but I have been on DP3 all afternoon and it is working great! No bugs encountered so far.

I will give it another day to be sure, but this one may just become my daily OS....

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
How seamless do you think the new airplay will be with the appletv?

PS:this is my first post, been reading since 2003, long time for me to wait to get in on the fun of posting!

Welcome!

I have really been impressed with Airplay to date. My ipad, imac, ipod touch & macbook pro all equally can "talk" to appletv to date no problem, so I have high hopes for any future versions.

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Evidently not, since I received 6 down-votes. Just trying to help macrumors out...You know, if I found a coding issue or something, then I would be popular. Forever alone English major...:(

I plus one'd you on both posts. You are right and if some people here cannot cope with someone pointing out a grammar mistake in the feature they are commenting on to the point of taking time to minus point you, they are sad.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Good afternoon

Does anyone know if this build boots into 32 bit?
Or is it also 64 bit only?
Damn soundcard is 32 bit only

B

Sorry mate your out of luck MountainLion is only 64bit:(

----------

mission control needs refinement.

Please give us an option in system preferences to turn off grouping of windows when mission control is activated. A simple option would satisfy so many people and would have zero effect on all those that negate this request.

this +100000000

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
You can now turn off auto save.

And finder windows display a small bar for file copying process, indicating how much of the file is copied.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
If you're in MC, you can pinch out with 3 fingers + thumb to spread the windows of that app out. Very helpful when you have a lot of windows in the same app open.
I do this via two finger swipe up or down. I tried what you suggested and nothing happened. But the issue with this is that they don't spread out enough. I frequently have too many windows for this to be effective. It just ends up showing me a cluster of windows.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I'm still running Cheetah (OSX 10.0) and doing well, although I still miss Mac System 7, but it's support just isn't there.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Sorry, but that's all pretty misleading... For starters, you showed the trackpad window, then compared it to the Expose window from SL...

THIS it the actual equivalent window in Lion...

and contains most of the options that were present in SL. The one thing that's missing is an option to have the windows "ungrouped", which could, as the other poster said, be accomplished using a checkbox

I updated the screenshot, I know I posted the wrong preference window, but my point still stands. Mission Control is botched.

And unless I've missed something, I can still drag from app to app using Mission Control, in much the same way that I could with Exposé...

This however, is false. If you have 3 windows open in Illustrator and another 3 open in Photoshop and you want to drag an object from illustrator to photoshop, you need to do the following;

1) Click and hold the desired object in Illustrator
2) Hit a hot corner to activate mission control (show all windows, grouped by app)
3) Hover and hold over the group of windows in Photoshop
4) Hit another hot corner to show all windows from within Photoshop
5) Hover and hold over desired open document in Photoshop
6) Let go of the object and it gets pasted in

STEPS 3 AND 4 RIGHT THERE ARE WHY MISSION CONTROL IS A FAILURE.

Expose allowed everyone to go DIRECTLY into the desired open document window of any specific application, bypassing steps three and four. Lion DID NOT make things easier, it made workflow SLOWER.

This has been complained about for the past year from Mac OS users while a huge number of Apple fanboys for some reason NEGATE this issue and dismiss even having a single checkmark in System Preferences to ungroup. ITS ONE SINGLE CHECKMARK. I don't care if Apple ships the OS with grouping turned on by default to satisfy the arrogant userbase, just so as long as they give everyone else a SINGLE OPTION.

When and WHY did the apple community start to dismiss simple options as this?!?!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
They do, it is called Snow Leopard.

LOL, thats so true. Snow Leopard is amazing. I got a MacBook 2011 which came with Lion. Simple things like selecting tabs in system preferences showed lag. I couldnt understand why a new laptop with 4gb of ram, an SSD drive, an above average video card (ATI 6750M) and a Quad-Core i7 2.3ghz laptop with a clean install of Lion be THAT slow?

When I found out how badly Mission Control sucks, I got rid of Lion and even rid of the recovery partition. Went back to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and everything has been running perfectly smooth.

I won't switch to Lion or Mountain Lion until I absolutely have to. Luckily I know that won't be anytime soon.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I plus one'd you on both posts. You are right and if some people here cannot cope with someone pointing out a grammar mistake in the feature they are commenting on to the point of taking time to minus point you, they are sad.

Thank you for your support...

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Mission Control needs refinement.

Please give us an option in system preferences to turn OFF grouping of windows when Mission Control is activated. A simple OPTION would satisfy so many people and would have ZERO effect on all those that negate this request.

If you have 3 windows open in Illustrator and another 3 open in Photoshop and you want to drag an object from illustrator to photoshop, you need to do the following;

1) Click and hold the desired object in Illustrator
2) Hit a hot corner to activate mission control (show all windows, grouped by app)
3) Hover and hold over the group of windows in Photoshop
4) Hit another hot corner to show all windows from within Photoshop
5) Hover and hold over desired open document in Photoshop
6) Let go of the object and it gets pasted in

STEPS 3 AND 4 RIGHT THERE ARE WHY MISSION CONTROL IS A FAILURE.

Expose allowed everyone to go DIRECTLY into the desired open document window of any specific application, bypassing steps three and four. Lion DID NOT make things easier, it made workflow SLOWER.

That is a very well written suggestion complete with a descriptive example. I hope you will send that directly to Apple in the form of feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.