Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aznboy1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Omnipresent
Here's my problem. Everytime I try to sync songs onto my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1 (stock) it doesn't get all of the songs and this happens (picture posted below). For example, I have a playlist named "Current Favorite Songs" that has 28 songs in it and when I sync it onto the iPhone it only shows up 25 of the 28 songs. 3 of them are "greyed out" and show as "Steam" in iTunes instead of the bitrate.
Screen%20Shot%202012-04-18%20at%2010.07.02%20PM.png

NOTE: Here's also a 2nd screenshot showcasing the problem further.
Screen%20Shot%202012-04-18%20at%2010.04.21%20PM.png

Here are my preliminary guesses at what is causing the probem and my attempted (albeit failed) remedies to alleviate the issues at hand:

1.) I believe it has something to do with iTunes Match. A few days ago I wanted to try out the feature on my iPhone and subsequently didn't like it, so I ended up disabling it. This caused a plethora of issues.
2.) I have tried disabling iTunes Match entirely, restoring my iPhone completely (from backup), deleting all the songs from my iPhone (Settings --> Usage --> Music), deleting all of the songs from iTunes, resyncing, and you name it...I've tried it all and I still can't seem to get those dang songs to sync!!!
3.) Also, what does it mean for those songs to be "greyed out"?

I don't want to start up as a new iPhone because I don't want to lose my text messages and the rest of my personalized settings/things.

I've been pulling my hair out for the past few hours trying to figure out this problem to no avail!

Thanks and regards,
Aznboy1993

Last edited by a moderator:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
The songs are greyed out because those tracks were not downloaded to your computer, so they currently only live in the cloud.

Just download those tracks and they will sync right over.

screenshot20120418at740.png

Hoofie

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I had the same problem.... I changed the lead that i use to sync my phone and hey presto!! It synced fine.....:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.